Default Seasonal Flu

With all the focus on convid-19 and some of the dire warnings,
little is said much about the regular, seasonal Flu.

I looked up some info:

The regular, seasonal Flu has peaked in terms of how many have
caught it and is beginning to decline.

But the stats are surprising.

According to CDC estimates (USA):

From October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been:

38,000,000 – 54,000,000 flu illnesses

17,000,000 – 25,000,000 flu medical visits

390,000 – 710,000 flu hospitalizations

23,000 – 59,000 flu deaths

Another website with Flu statistics that also referenced
data from the CDC had slightly lower numbers but still
within the ranges shown above.

Makes me wonder what the deal is with the corvid-19 virus
(which is an entirely different virus).

Total deaths in the USA as of this post totals 696 with
confirmed cases of 53,276.

At first blush, it would seem like corvid-19 is being
way overblown in terms of it's threat ... OR ...
there's more to this than we are being told.

https://www.avg.com

On 3/24/20 8:51 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

With all the focus on convid-19 and some of the dire warnings,
little is said much about the regular, seasonal Flu.

I looked up some info:

The regular, seasonal Flu has peaked in terms of how many have
caught it and is beginning to decline.

But the stats are surprising.

According to CDC estimates (USA):

From October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been:

38,000,000 – 54,000,000 flu illnesses

17,000,000 – 25,000,000 flu medical visits

390,000 – 710,000 flu hospitalizations

23,000 – 59,000 flu deaths

Another website with Flu statistics that also referenced
data from the CDC had slightly lower numbers but still
within the ranges shown above.

Makes me wonder what the deal is with the corvid-19 virus
(which is an entirely different virus).

Total deaths in the USA as of this post totals 696 with
confirmed cases of 53,276.

At first blush, it would seem like corvid-19 is being
way overblown in terms of it's threat ... OR ...
there's more to this than we are being told.

I don't believe we have even begun to get a handle on the number of
COVOID-19 cases that are extant in this country, nor has the "season"
for it come close to peaking.

Another factor: the percentage of deaths attributed to the flu versus
the percentage theoretically attributable to COVID-19.

Let's say there are 45 million flu cases a year here, a number between
38 and 54 million, and 35,000 deaths, again an arbitrary number. A 1%
death rate would add up to 450,000 deaths.

The estimates for the total number of possible COVOID-19 cases in this
country is higher than the numbers of flu cases, and the death rate is
estimated to be much higher than the 1% rate for flu deaths. Also,
apparently it is far more contagious than flu.

I've had the various sorts of flu at least a half dozen times over the
years. A couple of times it knocked me on my ass, but I survived.

There are an awful lot of unknowns about COVOID-19.

But, hell, we'll be through it by Easter, your Trump sort of says.

On 3/24/2020 9:20 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/24/20 8:51 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

With all the focus on convid-19 and some of the dire warnings,
little is said much about the regular, seasonal Flu.

I looked up some info:

The regular, seasonal Flu has peaked in terms of how many have
caught it and is beginning to decline.

But the stats are surprising.

According to CDC estimates (USA):

Â*From October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been:

[...]

country isÂ* higher than the numbers of flu cases, and the death rate is
estimated to be much higher than the 1% rate for flu deaths. Also,
apparently it is far more contagious than flu.

I've had the various sorts of flu at least a half dozen times over the
years. A couple of times it knocked me on my ass, but I survived.

There are an awful lot of unknowns about COVOID-19.

But, hell, we'll be through it by Easter, your Trump sort of says.

I am tired, so maybe I am screwed up but the flu numbers mean that those
who got the flu (as of March 14th) is roughly 1,000 times the number of
people who have confirmed corvid-19 (latest number). Deaths due to flu
are roughly 30-40 times those of corvid-19 so far.

I don't know who to believe anymore. Saw Mayor Bill De Blasio earlier
delivering a very dire message of what he sees in our future. Then,
as you say, Trump thinks everything will be hunky-dory in about 3-4
weeks.

I think the bottom line is nobody knows.

https://www.avg.com

On 3/24/20 9:30 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

people who have confirmed corvid-19 (latest number).Â* Deaths due to flu
are roughly 30-40 times those of corvid-19 so far.

I don't know who to believe anymore.Â* Saw Mayor Bill De Blasio earlier
delivering a very dire message of what he sees in our future.Â* Then,
as you say, Trump thinks everything will be hunky-dory in about 3-4
weeks.

I think the bottom line is nobody knows.

Agreed. But, I tend to believe the real doctors and scientists and those
politicians who are in a position of power, have some knowledge, and
take it very seriously. A few governors fall into that category, but not
Trump, not if he is talking about some sort of miracle to accompany Easter.

Your comment about "corvid-19 so far" does not take into account the
fact that we have a decent though not completely accurate total of the
number of flu cases in a given flu season. We're no where close to being
able to do that for COVOID-19.

I didn't even go out to get the mail today. We're still good for decent
food for at least the rest of the week, and if I do go out to the
grocery store, it'll be around 7 am when the stores are not crowded, and
I'll be wearing blue doctor's office gloves and carrying a spritzer of
Purell.

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 21:30:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

I suspect the financial experts, who we are not hearing much from are
saying that if we keep shutting things down and don't start backing
off a little, by Easter there might not be an economy to recover.
It is funny that 1009 was an economic emergency that we needed to
address in days and this crash can stand to be put off indefinitely.
Neel Kaskari says the Fed has unlimited power to simply print money
and throw it in the air. Weimar Germany thought the same thing ...
until it's money was simply worthless.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...es-2020-03-22/

Mr. Luddite wrote:

With all the focus on convid-19 and some of the dire warnings,
little is said much about the regular, seasonal Flu.

I looked up some info:

The regular, seasonal Flu has peaked in terms of how many have
caught it and is beginning to decline.

But the stats are surprising.

According to CDC estimates (USA):

From October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been:

38,000,000 – 54,000,000 flu illnesses

17,000,000 – 25,000,000 flu medical visits

390,000 – 710,000 flu hospitalizations

23,000 – 59,000 flu deaths

Another website with Flu statistics that also referenced
data from the CDC had slightly lower numbers but still
within the ranges shown above.

Makes me wonder what the deal is with the corvid-19 virus
(which is an entirely different virus).

Total deaths in the USA as of this post totals 696 with
confirmed cases of 53,276.

At first blush, it would seem like corvid-19 is being
way overblown in terms of it's threat ... OR ...
there's more to this than we are being told.

My wife had the flew the first of the month. The video doctor visit, he
said the vaccine this year was only 40% effective, so a lot of flu cases.
Says it is unfair. She self quarantined for 9 days because of the flu,
and then gets COVID quarantine.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

I think the 3-4 weeks is from the original exponential growth. But
flattening the curve may extend that time out aways.

[...]

It seems that what is driving the concern is the percentages of deaths
(flu versus covid-19). Percentages produce
a different perspective than raw numbers. Flu looks like about a
0.15 percent death rate where covid-19 looks like 1.5%. Yet the raw
numbers (about 35,000 versus 700) produces a totally different
perspective.

I am starting to believe we are in for a very long, long ride.
There are some reports of China's infection rate is beginning
to climb again in the area of the initial "ground zero"
which may suggest a second wave of the virus has begun.

https://www.avg.com

On 3/25/20 3:18 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

(flu versus covid-19).Â* PercentagesÂ* produce
a different perspective than raw numbers.Â* Flu looks like about a
0.15 percent death rate where covid-19 looks like 1.5%.Â*Â* Yet the raw
numbers (about 35,000 versus 700) produces a totally different
perspective.

I am starting to believe we are in for a very long, long ride.
There are some reports of China's infection rate is beginning
to climb again in the area of the initial "ground zero"
which may suggest a second wave of the virus has begun.

I agree and our almost complete unpreparedness for something like this,
plus a POTUS who pooh-poohed it for many weeks, plus all the back and
forth bull**** he is spewing now ain't helping. His daily briefings are
a horror show. He needs to get off that podium, let the experts update
us when they have hard information, and not every day.

On 3/25/2020 8:08 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
[...]

this country isÂ* higher than the numbers of flu cases, and the death
[...]

If possible (but I know it's asking the impossible) I'd like to focus
this thread on the issues of seasonal flu versus C-19 and not politics.
Nobody was prepared for this.

One possibility is that as a society we have "accepted" the casualties
of the yearly seasonal flu, much like we have pretty much accepted
the casualties as a result of car accidents, suicides and other
deaths. It's just factored into our lives.

Why c-19 is different and the attention it is getting with shutdowns
of businesses, etc. is the question. Probably the level of
contagiousness and the rapid spread throughout the world are factors.

Sources are saying that the rate of infection in places like Italy
are beginning to level off and may even be declining. The graph
on John's link (below) seems to be showing a slowing of world
infections.

If that happens in other countries, the death numbers may still be
lower world-wide than the flu deaths in the USA in one season.

Link:

http://ncov.bii.virginia.edu/dashboard/?fbclid=IwAR0p3SzdCXvoeCqWLpW9e3NJsSPahWEThqxOlw99 hX8cshDW6GbdBdCH-jk

https://www.avg.com