Default sobering study

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:37:42 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

I'm tempted to test fate and get out there and catch it. I think catching it
now, before the hospitals are totally inundated, would be a good idea.

===

At you age that would be a poor betting strategy. The fatality rate
for people over 70 is very high even with expert care.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

I'm tempted to test fate and get out there and catch it. I think catching it
now, before the hospitals are totally inundated, would be a good idea.

===

At you age that would be a poor betting strategy. The fatality rate
for people over 70 is very high even with expert care.

6 months may have a handle on cures.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 08:25:27 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/22/20 11:13 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/22/2020 11:07 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/22/20 10:47 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/22/2020 10:37 AM, Adorable Deplorable wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:05:43 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/22/2020 10:00 AM, Adorable Deplorable wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 09:01:50 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

This morning I was reading some of the results from a study
done by Columbia University on the corvid-19 infection rates.

Highlights include:

1. The study concludes that there is actually 11 times the number
**** of people currently known to be carrying the virus.* Based on
**** current known cases, that would indicate almost 300,000 people
**** in the USA, most who are carrying the virus but don't know it.

2. Based on the level of controls by fed and state governments
**** and the cooperation of the population to adhere to their
**** controls and recommendations, the study evaluated the
**** results and generated graphs of "no controls", "some controls"
**** and "severe controls".* "Severe controls" becomes obvious as
**** the only means of beating this thing.

3. In any event, it has not peaked yet and won't until May or June
**** in the best case and mid summer in a more realistic case.

Not a particularly encouraging study.* It also suggests that
if not brought under control medical facilities, especially
in the hardest hit areas of the country, may find themselves
in the position of choosing who gets treated and who dies.

Annoying to me is my awareness of some people, young and old,
who seem to have determined that the controls and recommendations
don't apply to them, thus putting themselves and people they
come in contact with at risk.

Given the rate of climb in the past few days, I've redone my
curve. It now
results in about 283,000 confirmed US cases by around 22 April,
unless something
really drastic happens.

Yes, it's getting scary quickly!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Run your curve again adding the estimated 300,000 people the Columbia
University study believes exists *right now*.

That's very scary. Mycurve is based on a start of 26663 confirmed
cases. Adding
300,000 to that would give* an estimate of around 1,758,000 by 22
April. Let's
hope Columbia U is wrong.

On the other hand, if there are an additional 300K cases out there,
that would
indicate the symptoms aren't bad enough for the folks to get
'confirmed'.

I'm tempted to test fate and get out there and catch it. I think
catching it
now, before the hospitals are totally inundated, would be a good idea.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Could you add me to your will first?** :-)

What a great idea...Herring the Racist catching the virus for us and
reporting back. How do we encourage that?

Are you sure some virus or bug hasn't been in your skull for the past
few months, devouring whatever brain cells you have left?

Perhaps, but I've still got enough smarts left to think I should
"...test fate and get out there and catch it..." is a really bad idea.

You left off "before the hospitals are totally inundated". You say you're the paragon of health. If you catch it when the hospitals are full, you'll have no problems beating it, right? You'll just hop on the bus, ride it into DC, and check into that special hospital room they've reserved just for you, eh?

LOL!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 18:10:49 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

I'm tempted to test fate and get out there and catch it. I think catching it
now, before the hospitals are totally inundated, would be a good idea.

===

At you age that would be a poor betting strategy. The fatality rate
for people over 70 is very high even with expert care.

6 months may have a handle on cures.

That would be nice!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

wrote:

[...]

As Ed suggested on FB, it might be best if all of the health care
workers caught it and got it over with, now that they are not being
slammed with a million cases.

wrote:

[...]

If the number is really 300,000+ and only 400 died, that is not a
horrible ratio. (0.133% or so).

wrote:

[...]

How come I didn't see Ed's post? Did he block me because my dog's prettier than
he is?
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On 3/22/2020 10:27 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/22/20 11:21 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What was their methodology for estimating the number of unreported
cases?

Wayne, the study was reported in the New York Times today.* You can
read more about it, the methodology, etc, at the link below.

One thing I missed ... and this is even more scary ...* the study
suggests:

"Even if the country cut its rate of transmission in half — a tall
order — some 650,000 people might become infected in the next two
months."

Link:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/20/us/coronavirus-model-us-outbreak.html?&te=1&nl=morning-briefing&emc=edit_nn_20200322&campaign_id=9&instan ce_id=16976&segment_id=22540&user_id=dd7f8c99a5f94 a70971937d998bca33d&regi_id=116446437_nn_20200322

or:

https://tinyurl.com/wdvsqhb

Not to worry...your Trump said the warmer weather will take care of
Covoid-19. Right?

No.* He didn't.

From Marke****ch:

Trump told supporters at a rally in New Hampshire in early March that
the virus will be gone by April, claiming that when temperatures rise,
“the virus” will “miraculously” go away. Chinese President Xi Jinping
has said the same, Trump said. The latest deadly coronavirus, eventually
referenced as COVID-19, first emerged in China at the end of last year.

Patient zero contacted the disease Nov 17.
https://www.google.com/search?client...ed+in+November

Mikek

wrote:

[...]

Dunno it was on his wall.

Another study... X ` Man[_3_] General 0 August 4th 12 12:50 PM
Some sobering information to digest with your morning coffee Oscar General 1 May 18th 12 04:34 PM
new study Mr. Jim General 34 March 26th 09 08:02 PM
Sobering video Roger Long Cruising 10 January 22nd 07 09:03 PM
Nav study guides Capt. Neal ASA 15 December 7th 04 03:10 AM