Default To sell or not to sell...

....that is the question!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 11:18:01 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
...that is the question!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Don't sell. Not unless you want to turn your short term losses into long term losses.

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 08:32:39 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 11:18:01 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
...that is the question!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Don't sell. Not unless you want to turn your short term losses into long term losses.

The idea would be to get back in when, and if, things start improving. I'm not 'investor certified'
though!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Adorable Deplorable Wrote in message:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 08:32:39 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 11:18:01 AM UTC-4, John H wrote: ...that is the question! -- Freedom Isn't Free!Don't sell. Not unless you want to turn your short term losses into long term losses.The idea would be to get back in when, and if, things start improving. I'm not 'investor certified'though!--Freedom Isn't Free!

A 50% loss would result in the need to make a 100% gain to break
even, if you bought back the same stock at what you sold it for.
If the stock declined another 50% you could buy twice the amount
you sold but you'd still need a 100% gain to break
even.

If the stock rose 50% after you sold it would cost you 25% more to
buy it back. If the stock regained its original value it would
cost you twice as much as you sold it for, to buy it
back.

Numbers dont lie.
--
..

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 11:18:03 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

...that is the question!

I will hold what I have but I am not buying anything until this
quarantine nonsense is lifted. I still think this could be the big
one. (the end of the world economy as we know it). You can't just hot
the stop button and think things will still be there ready to go when
you hit start.
It is like a boat (see what I did there). If you let it sit unused too
long, it may never go again.

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:46:28 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote:

[...]

I suppose that means to hang on to it?
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 20:03:17 -0400, Alex wrote:

Adorable Deplorable wrote:
[...]

That is "dollar cost averaging". It works if the stock recovers to
it's previous level in a reasonable time. You might also be trying to
catch a falling knife. My fear at this point is not taking a 40-50%
loss, it is taking a 100% loss.
If they are really serious that we are going to hit stop on the
economic engine until they declare the virus is contained, the economy
might not start when we hit go.
The debt bomb we are all dreading may have gone off by then and we
will be in worse shape than 2008-9 with the central banks failing not
just AIG and Lehman.
I understand that is probably not going to happen but it isn't as
unrealistic as some of the predictions I am hearing about this virus.

Adorable Deplorable wrote:
[...]

Investing is gambling.Â* Today the market rebounded a bit.Â* I'm sure
there will be more ups and downs but long-term it will recover.Â* It
always has.Â* The time frame is the question.

Adorable Deplorable wrote:
[...]

Depends how bad the virus is and lasts. Lots of countries, us included
are close to bankrupt.

Can't sell my old truck Frogwatch[_2_] General 15 February 21st 09 03:30 AM
buy or sell a boat am General 0 November 19th 07 08:52 PM
How best to sell boats? ivy UK Power Boats 2 October 26th 03 08:26 PM