Grumpy

Default Fuel

Hi All,

I have a Mercury 500 Blue Band, yes I know it is old,. but it runs very well
and has never missed a beat.

I was originally told to use leaded fuel with 50:1 oil mix. The fuel in
Australia is now lead free. The next suggestion was that I use premium
unleaded and add a bit more oil.

Currently I use the lead replacement fuel with 50:1 mix.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks
Alan

Tony Thomas

Us premium unleaded fuel and 50:1 mix oil and you will have no problems.
You want to use the premium fuel to prevent detonation which will blow a
hole in the top of the piston.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Grumpy" wrote in message
u...
Hi All,

I have a Mercury 500 Blue Band, yes I know it is old,. but it runs very

well
and has never missed a beat.

I was originally told to use leaded fuel with 50:1 oil mix. The fuel in
Australia is now lead free. The next suggestion was that I use premium
unleaded and add a bit more oil.

Currently I use the lead replacement fuel with 50:1 mix.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks
Alan

Joe

I have a Mercury 500 Blue Band, yes I know it is old,. but it runs very
well
and has never missed a beat.

I was originally told to use leaded fuel with 50:1 oil mix. The fuel in
Australia is now lead free. The next suggestion was that I use premium
unleaded and add a bit more oil.

There is no reason to run leaded fuel in a outboard 2-stroke engine.
Mercury's only concerned with the octane rating of the fuel. I would contact
a Merc dealer for the octane requirements of your outboard.

Gfretwell

There is no reason to run leaded fuel in a outboard 2-stroke engine.

I agree, the only other functions of lead (beyond boosting octane) was to
lubricate valves and foul plugs. Since you don't have valves and the octane is
boosted in other ways I don't see a problem with running unleaded fuel that has
enough octane. My 1990s vintage engine wanted (US) mid grade (~89)