Default Large Radio Controlled Glider Flies Off the Coast of Brittany

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 1:00:32 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Its Me wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 8:21:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 16:05:11 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:56:20 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Its Me wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 2:06:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I thought this was kind of cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3MgvIdvydM

Yep, I used to not like RC gliders that much, but I've come to appreciate
them. It's a little but different skillset to flying them compared to a
powered airplane. They were slope flying... the wind coming off the
ocean and hitting that hill creates upward lift. As long as the wind
doesn't quit, a decent pilot can fly until the batteries run out. Other
glider pilots without a hill have to be towed up by one of several means
(winch, huge, long rubber band, etc.) or an onboard motor to get them to
altitude, then they glide slowly back down unless they can catch a
thermal, and then they can ride that back up.

I have, new in the box, a rocket powered glider kit. It uses a solid
propellant rocket motor to boost up, then you glide it back down. I
bought it but never got the itch to build and fly it. Maybe when I retire.

As a kid I took. A couple years on and off to build a balsa wood strut
glider. About 6’ wingspan. Would never glide. No matter what I changed.
Talked to guy a few years ago, whose dad owned a hobby shop. Mentioned the
glider and said, nobody ever got one to fly.

Heh. I wouldn't doubt it. Gliders are the most sensitive airplanes to
build and fly. They have to be perfectly straight and true, and then
have to be balanced just right (side-to-side and fore-aft), and then
trimmed (up/down elevator and left/right rudder) just right. It can be
a challenge for an experienced modeller. An then
if it's a hand launched glider and not RC, the hand toss itself can
greatly affect the flight.

The ones I made didn't seem so tough but sometimes a paper clip helped

https://tinyurl.com/rt2df7p

LOL! Yes, but 6 feet of "gliding" is a whole different thing than
actually gliding for hundreds or several thousands of feet.

I worked nights while going to university. We used to sail paper airplanes
off the 4 story roof of the office. We could get the planes to almost
reach Van Ness Ave, a block away towards downtown San Francisco. So more
than 6’.

Jeez, lighten up. Besides, that's cheating!

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 02:07:03 -0500, wrote:

I got your glider right here

https://media.giphy.com/media/24FRYCdcFJLLUJOeSk/giphy.gif?fbclid=IwAR068FEdMOxfz1e7EAOzDx3DqJGoBMA o05hsfkAP8hhvzY33S3majDl8BtI

https://tinyurl.com/tlgokx8

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 3:00:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 02:07:03 -0500, wrote:

I got your glider right here

https://media.giphy.com/media/24FRYCdcFJLLUJOeSk/giphy.gif?fbclid=IwAR068FEdMOxfz1e7EAOzDx3DqJGoBMA o05hsfkAP8hhvzY33S3majDl8BtI

https://tinyurl.com/tlgokx8

LOL! That's awesome, thanks.