Default Hearings

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 7:32:33 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/13/2019 10:08 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:05:19 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 15:00:19 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

Been watching the impeachment hearings today (mainly because it's too
freakin' cold out to go outside).

One thing that has struck me.

If the questions being asked mostly by the Democrats were being asked
in a court of law rather than a congressional public hearing, most
would never be allowed by a judge.

This is more so by the Democrat members of congress. The lawyers
(non-congresspersons) did a decent job but the regular office
holders, even though many are lawyers, would never get away with
their leading questions and conclusions forced upon Taylor and Kent.

Should have spent the time watching 'The Command'. I listened on the radio while driving today.
Seems like hearsay is much approved by the Democrats. Wonder how that will play during the trial, if
there is one (which I doubt).

I saw a few minutes and I was thinking the same as Richard. They are
telling the witness what they want them to say and asking if it is
true. We knew this was going to be a political process, not a legal
one from the beginning. One intriguing possibility in the Senate would
be for McConnell to move for immediate dismissal on a simple up down
vote. I wonder if Roberts would go along?
I also wonder how long it is going to take to get this out of the
house in the first place. Being political theater, I assume they want
to milk this cow as long as they can. The only thing that would slow
them down is if polling in swing states started indicating that they
think this is a witch hunt. Nobody really cares about what the blue
states think, we already know, so national polls are meaningless.

My Trumpster wife debate this stuff every morning. Whether we make it
to our 50th wedding anniversary in February remains in question. :-)

I argue that although I think Trump has done some very good things
for the US economy, his bullying, "winning by intimidation" style
is contributing big time to the severe division we are witnessing
between the "left" and the "right".

For at least the past couple of decades the mainstream media has had an obvious liberal bias, but the conservative politicians have understood that and largely played by those rules. When Trump arrived on the scene they went into overdrive, Trump called them out on it, and they declared war. I think that has fueled a lot of the division we see today.

Trump has brought this on himself, but some in the media may as well put on a black hoodie and call themselves antifa.

On 11/14/2019 9:43 AM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
My Trumpster wife debate this stuff every morning. Whether we make it
to our 50th wedding anniversary in February remains in question. :-)

I argue that although I think Trump has done some very good things
for the US economy, his bullying, "winning by intimidation" style
is contributing big time to the severe division we are witnessing
between the "left" and the "right".
—-

Maybe I talking out of my league but wasn’t Truman and Johnson doing the same thing? FWIW of course

Based on what I've read LBJ was a real ******* behind the scenes but
publicly he conducted himself with a degree of dignity worthy of his
office.

Don't know about Truman in terms of his arm twisting.

Of course neither had a "Tweeter" account to publicly embarrass
or insult others.

wrote:

[...]

I agree.

Hacking hearings [email protected] General 8 January 6th 17 12:32 AM
Auto Hearings Humor Eisboch General 5 December 6th 08 04:23 AM
OT--Senate to Hold Hearings on Able Danger, Info Sharing NOYB General 1 August 25th 05 06:21 PM