Bob La Londe

Default Mariner 200 HP Questions

My 1994 Mariner 200 FI started running a little rough Saturday. Nothing
major, but then my last motor started out as nothing major too, and I still
haven't got it running right.

The first symptom I noticed was the tach wasn't working. I still seemed to
have plenty of hols shot, but that motor is way under propped so it would
take a pretty bad problem to be really noticable. When I went over another
boat's wake and smaicked against the water the tach started working again.
I felt under the dash to see if it was a loose wire and if wiggling the
wires would duplicate the problem, but it did not. Another time I noticed
the tach out I cut throttle and then brought it back up again and the tach
started working.

Shortly after that I started to notice a miss. I would be cruising at
around 50 in the 5000RPM range and it would have a slight loss of power like
a cylinder quit firing and then start back up again.

What would you suggest?

Fouled plugs?

Bad Pack?

Bad Coil?

This engine has run fantastic everytime out until saturday. When I finished
up for the day and idled into the harbor it seemed to be idling a little
rougher than normal.

Also, it seemed to be blowing more smoke than normal when I first started
out in the morning. I figured that was just from the 5:30am start and it
being a little cooler than usual at about 52F outside.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Tony Thomas

I would suggest you remove, clean, and reinstall the battery cables on the
batter and engine. Remove, clean and reinstall all the wires that you can
find and get to on the engine also. Sounds like a bad ground somewhere.
This can affect tach, ignition, everything.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

et...