Bob La Londe

Default Mariner 200 HP Questions

My 1994 Mariner 200 FI started running a little rough Saturday. Nothing
major, but then my last motor started out as nothing major too, and I still
haven't got it running right.

The first symptom I noticed was the tach wasn't working. I still seemed to
have plenty of hols shot, but that motor is way under propped so it would
take a pretty bad problem to be really noticable. When I went over another
boat's wake and smaicked against the water the tach started working again.
I felt under the dash to see if it was a loose wire and if wiggling the
wires would duplicate the problem, but it did not. Another time I noticed
the tach out I cut throttle and then brought it back up again and the tach
started working.

Shortly after that I started to notice a miss. I would be cruising at
around 50 in the 5000RPM range and it would have a slight loss of power like
a cylinder quit firing and then start back up again.

What would you suggest?

Fouled plugs?

Bad Pack?

Bad Coil?

This engine has run fantastic everytime out until saturday. When I finished
up for the day and idled into the harbor it seemed to be idling a little
rougher than normal.

Also, it seemed to be blowing more smoke than normal when I first started
out in the morning. I figured that was just from the 5:30am start and it
being a little cooler than usual at about 52F outside.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az