Default FRS radio

Anyone know anything about these? I picked up a pair for about $20 and
we are playing with them. This set says they are good for 5 miles but
I have seen some that say 30 miles. I assume that is on 3 mountains
across a valley but who knows?
It does sound like something campers might like tho and if you really
can get out some number of miles in the woods hikers and hunters might
like them.
I know everyone just uses their phone these days but there is some
facility in having simple PTT. My wife says it is like her old NexTel.

So far around here it sounds like I may be the only one using it. I
put the radio on scan last night and I never heard a thing all night.
This is like CB in the 60s I think.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 13:03:40 -0400, wrote:

Anyone know anything about these? I picked up a pair for about $20 and
we are playing with them. This set says they are good for 5 miles but
I have seen some that say 30 miles. I assume that is on 3 mountains
across a valley but who knows?
It does sound like something campers might like tho and if you really
can get out some number of miles in the woods hikers and hunters might
like them.
I know everyone just uses their phone these days but there is some
facility in having simple PTT. My wife says it is like her old NexTel.

So far around here it sounds like I may be the only one using it. I
put the radio on scan last night and I never heard a thing all night.
This is like CB in the 60s I think.

===

We've used them on and off for 20 years or so. They can be handy as
an intercom device on the boat if one of us is on the flybridge and
the other below. We've also used them a few times as a way of keeping
in touch with another car that we were traveling with. We'd usually
get a mile or two of range on typical roads but hills can reduce that.
Talk of 30 miles is just nonsesnse for every-day, reliable usage, even
over open water. Our 1 watt marine VHF handhelds are good for no more
than 2 or 3 miles over water in most conditions, and they are far more
capable than the cheapo FRS units.

---
https://www.avg.com

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:18:08 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 13:03:40 -0400, wrote:

Anyone know anything about these? I picked up a pair for about $20 and
we are playing with them. This set says they are good for 5 miles but
I have seen some that say 30 miles. I assume that is on 3 mountains
across a valley but who knows?
It does sound like something campers might like tho and if you really
can get out some number of miles in the woods hikers and hunters might
like them.
I know everyone just uses their phone these days but there is some
facility in having simple PTT. My wife says it is like her old NexTel.

So far around here it sounds like I may be the only one using it. I
put the radio on scan last night and I never heard a thing all night.
This is like CB in the 60s I think.

We've used those at Disney World and on cruises, several years ago - before we all had cell phones.
They worked OK, but often other folks with the same radios or on the same freq stepped all over us.
I like cell phones better.

We are just playing with them now but the PTT thing is pretty cool. I
imagine cell phones have made them pretty unpopular because I still
have not heard another soul. It sort of makes me wonder how much you
could get away with if there is nobody around to complain. With a
decent high gain antenna on the roof, I bet these things would get out
to virtually everywhere I ever go. They are allowed to pump out 5
watts now without a license and if you get the $70 GMRS license I
think you can go up to 50 watts with an outside antenna.

I was thinking of getting a set off and on for the last 15 or more years. They started off with modest range claims but seemed to get more powerful maybe up to or so kilometers. Even wondered if they would help communicating with the wife while backing the boat into the driveway. She likes to hide in my blind spot while directing me.

wrote:

[...]

These were $20 for 2 so I am sure they are not much (probably 500mw)
but you can get a 5 watt for around $70 a pair.
I wasn't sure If I really wanted them at all but I put a $40 set in my
Amazon Cart and a few days later they offered them to me for $20. I
would pay $20 to watch a monkey **** so I pulled the trigger.
So far we are using them for the same thing. My wife is a little under
the weather and she can talk to me if I am at the other end of the
house in the shop or working outside. Next time I get out taking Deuce
for a cart ride I will see what they really do. I can't find any specs
on these things about radiated power.
Realistically if they get to the other end of the neighborhood it
should do all I need.
I just want to see how much we really use them.
This is the 3d set I have had and the first time we used them at all.
I gave the other 2 pairs to the kids.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:58:47 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

I was thinking of getting a set off and on for the last 15 or more years. They started off with modest range claims but seemed to get more powerful maybe up to or so kilometers. Even wondered if they would help communicating with the wife while backing the boat into the driveway. She likes to hide in my blind spot while directing me.

The range claims jumped when the upped the allowable power to 5 watts.
Five watts and a decent antenna should get you to the horizon in open
country.

wrote:

[...]

We have a set. Have not used them for some years. Nice, with kids or
grandkids. Select a channel and sub channel that do not seem to be busy.
Better while hiking, and little cellphone coverage and cheaper if lost and
do not break as easy.

wrote:

[...]

You may be confusing FRS "walkie-talkies" with GMRS radios.
FRS stands for "Family Radio Service" and output power is
2 watts as of 2017. Before that they were 500 milliwatts.
They now have 22 channels however channels 8 – 14 must still
be limited to half a watt output.

GMRS is "General Mobile Radio Service". GMRS still requires
a FCC license and, as a base station, can use a power amp
to output 50 watts.

---
https://www.avg.com

No radio after the big Zap? Will[_4_] Electronics 0 August 1st 09 03:36 PM
AM-FM Radio Gordon Cruising 8 July 29th 06 05:34 AM
FS: Sea 222 SSB Radio da2ny Electronics 0 July 23rd 06 06:47 PM
Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch? Mitchell Gossman General 12 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
FS: SH VHF Radio in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 01:47 PM