Default AM-FM Radio

Am needing a small, good sounding stereo system for a small sailboat. Only
need AM FM and CD. What's a decent system with speakers at a decent price.
Don't need sirius or xm or marine weather.
Thanks
Gordon

"Gordon" wrote in message
Am needing a small, good sounding stereo system for a small sailboat.
Only
need AM FM and CD. What's a decent system with speakers at a decent price.
Don't need sirius or xm or marine weather.
Thanks
Gordon

The limiting factor for a "good sounding stereo on a small sailboat" will be
the size of the speakers you can accommodate.
In my boats I have just used car stereo units. They work fine and have more
than enough power to produce adequate sound levels in a boat. With small
speakers you don't get much bass. If you really want good sound you could
get a car stereo guy to outfit the boat with separate speakers for bass, mid
and treble.

In article ,
"Gordon" wrote:

Am needing a small, good sounding stereo system for a small sailboat. Only
need AM FM and CD. What's a decent system with speakers at a decent price.

We have a standard auto unit with good speakers inside & out, but when
it dies, I'll just put a boom box onboard that can also run off 12v and
has an MP3 input. CDs aren't a factor for us any more, since I can carry
everything we own in a shirt pocket and the marine environment is hard
on CDs.

--
Jere Lull

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:47:43 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

We have a standard auto unit with good speakers inside & out, but when it
dies, I'll just put a boom box onboard that can also run off 12v and has
an MP3 input. CDs aren't a factor for us any more, since I can carry
everything we own in a shirt pocket and the marine environment is hard on
CDs.

For me, this was one of those "Now why the hell didn't I think of that?"
moments. Nice one. This is going to free up a pile of storage space.
iPod here I come.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:21:59 +0000, Gordon Wedman wrote:
With small speakers you don't
get much bass. If you really want good sound you could get a car stereo
guy to outfit the boat with separate speakers for bass, mid and treble.

so true -going the budget route as I like to do, I hauled out a 30 year
old pair of Jensen 6x9's I had sitting in the garage and installed them
into the interior bulkheads that support the quarter berth and the main
settee, down low to the floor. The storage space under the berths
provides an almost perfect sound box and the lids with the little
thumbholes under the cushions act like ports. The reproduction is
shockingly good and I'm comparing it against the 70's vintage Marantz
quad/Dynaco gear I use at home.

"prodigal1" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:21:59 +0000, Gordon Wedman wrote:
With small speakers you don't
get much bass. If you really want good sound you could get a car stereo
guy to outfit the boat with separate speakers for bass, mid and treble.

so true -going the budget route as I like to do, I hauled out a 30 year
old pair of Jensen 6x9's I had sitting in the garage and installed them
into the interior bulkheads that support the quarter berth and the main
settee, down low to the floor. The storage space under the berths
provides an almost perfect sound box and the lids with the little
thumbholes under the cushions act like ports. The reproduction is
shockingly good and I'm comparing it against the 70's vintage Marantz
quad/Dynaco gear I use at home.

That's an interesting idea. I have two small storage compartments at the
forward end of my port and starboard settees. The rest of the space is
water tanks. I could mount speakers in the side of these but they would be
rather close to the cabin sole. Might be good for bass speakers?

A jump drive is an external memory device generally connected to
compatible computers via usb plug, possibly wirelessly. It is hot
swapppable, and can carry any form of data desired. Your Ipod is a
form of jump drive. Some are 80 Gbyte hard drives, some are "dongles"
and may carry only a single cryptolump of data, as with some new car
keys.

This is the form the human AI will take, particulated, hibernating,
mobile, communicable, operational and survivable meme based intellect
with perfect memory if not recall or cognizance, yet.

Indexing will become the next, even last psciance.

Terry K

Gordon wrote:
Am needing a small, good sounding stereo system for a small sailboat. Only
need AM FM and CD. What's a decent system with speakers at a decent price.
Don't need sirius or xm or marine weather.
Thanks
Gordon

Gordon,

You can find very simple waterproof stereos all over the place that
have great sound. Lots of times you can even get packages. Poly Planar
might be a very good choice for you, of course their is JBL, Sony,
Jensen, Aquatic AV and more. Sony will probably be the most
inexpensive, there are sony packages that have a cd player, housing and
pair of 61/2" speaker for only $250. Keep your eyes peeled, they are
available!

Brandon
www.boatersbasement.com

They are on the net as roadmasterusa.com. However, their trade label is
VR3. Mine is now discontinued and they've upgraded to a slightly more techy
version of the same thing.

Call your local WalMarts and ask the automotive department if they have any
of those $88 special radios with the USB port.

A jump drive is usually just a chip based memory device, anywhere from 256
to 4G. I have an older one which is a card reader, essentially, taking SD
cards. Very inexpensive at places like eCost.com where I got mine; a 1G
multifast SD card these days is like $8 after rebate...

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"ray" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:51:19 -0400, "Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at
gmail dotcom wrote:

Better yet - no moving parts - get an automotive unit with a jump drive
USB
input.

My $88 WalMart unit reads CD/DVD/MP3/WMA in the slot, the USB reads wma
and
mp3, 180 watts into 4 speakers and the current unit even has a remote...

So is there a brand name for this thing? Also, I have never heard of a
jump drive.

Our original thought was ipod but we'll never carry one, and jump drives
are
ultra cheap.

A gig will last a great long while of music; you could buy bigger if you
needed more time on the air, but ...

No moving parts...

See my gallery for examples in recent months...

[...]

Position a VHF Radio, a FishFinder, and a GPS in a 18-Ft Center Console? [email protected] General 25 January 17th 06 06:29 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Modifying Icom IC-M800 Steve Electronics 38 July 10th 04 03:49 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 01:26 AM