Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,463
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 11:27:51 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 11:11:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:


On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:
- show quoted text -
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

........

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, I’d think I’d like it. But carrying 40 gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!


===

Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.


Yessir, it's a 2-smoker. they guesstimate that WFO they're good for about 11 gal per hr. One advantage to them is the pwr to weight ratio. A 300 lb engine doing about 120 hp. isn't bad.

Not sure how it'll push this 28 ft bi-toon with a moderate load. but at 20 mph it doesn't take you very far on 40 gal.


There is a huge increase in economy if you run around 4000-4500 RPM
instead of WOT, particularly on a pontoon.
A lot of extra power just gets you a moderate gain in speed.
You are right about the weight tho. My old 3 cyl 2 smoke was a 70-90
hp class motor and it weighs the same as my 60-70.
I do use about half the gas I did with the 75 for the same cruise
speed.

  #12   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,525
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...


1:47
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 11:27:51 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 11:11:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim

- show quoted text -
There is a huge increase in economy if you run around 4000-4500 RPM
instead of WOT, particularly on a pontoon.
A lot of extra power just gets you a moderate gain in speed.
You are right about the weight tho. My old 3 cyl 2 smoke was a 70-90
hp class motor and it weighs the same as my 60-70.
I do use about half the gas I did with the 75 for the same cruise
speed.
........

Ok I agree. No one says you have to “nail it” and leave it that way. I just used WOT as an example for fuel usage...
  #13   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 09:44 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,000
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

Tim wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 12:28:05 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:


On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:
- show quoted text -
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

........

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, Id think Id like it. But carrying 40
gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

==
Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.


My problem was so much water got in the tank, either phase separation or
something else, that the filter would fill up with water. Had about 5
gallons of water in a 60 gallon tank. When coming up on plane, that water
got deep at the pickup.


On the pontoon, I have three 12 gal and a 9 gal backup. I'm not
filling them full due to expansion. and at least I can control the
quality of the fuel and the moisture content. That's about the only
advantage of outboard tanks. LOL

https://www.easternmarine.com/moelle...-tank-630012lp

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/epa-...ank-9-gal.html


Mine is a 60 gallon belly tank.

  #14   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,525
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 3:44:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 12:28:05 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:


On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:
- show quoted text -
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

........

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, I d think I d like it. But carrying 40
gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

==
Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.


My problem was so much water got in the tank, either phase separation or
something else, that the filter would fill up with water. Had about 5
gallons of water in a 60 gallon tank. When coming up on plane, that water
got deep at the pickup.


On the pontoon, I have three 12 gal and a 9 gal backup. I'm not
filling them full due to expansion. and at least I can control the
quality of the fuel and the moisture content. That's about the only
advantage of outboard tanks. LOL

https://www.easternmarine.com/moelle...-tank-630012lp

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/epa-...ank-9-gal.html


Mine is a 60 gallon belly tank.


My Marquis 22 has a big aluminum -V shaped belly tank. And that's one complaint I have with inboard tanks is with them under the floor, you cant see whats in them, or what kind of shape they're in.
  #15   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,463
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:57:15 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 3:44:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 12:28:05 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:


On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:
- show quoted text -
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

........

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, I d think I d like it. But carrying 40
gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

==
Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.


My problem was so much water got in the tank, either phase separation or
something else, that the filter would fill up with water. Had about 5
gallons of water in a 60 gallon tank. When coming up on plane, that water
got deep at the pickup.

On the pontoon, I have three 12 gal and a 9 gal backup. I'm not
filling them full due to expansion. and at least I can control the
quality of the fuel and the moisture content. That's about the only
advantage of outboard tanks. LOL

https://www.easternmarine.com/moelle...-tank-630012lp

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/epa-...ank-9-gal.html


Mine is a 60 gallon belly tank.


My Marquis 22 has a big aluminum -V shaped belly tank. And that's one complaint I have with inboard tanks is with them under the floor, you cant see whats in them, or what kind of shape they're in.


I am surprised builders don't put hatches in over those tanks but I
guess if it goes bad you are going to be cutting a hatch in.



  #16   Report Post  
Old February 17th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2018
Posts: 82
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

Tim wrote:
We did have a local station that handled 100 percent gas. No more. They had tank troubles with their diesel tank malfunctioning. They decided to discontinue it's use, and change over the ethanol free. to diesel. now they offer e85, e15 and regular e10 and diesel.

This is sad for the chainsaw, weed eater and a lot of motorcycle crowd. Not counting the boaters. They're hacked about it too. Now the closest place to sell alcohol free fuel is 10 mi away.

Fortunately, the lake I will be boating on with my 2 cycle pontoon has a couple stations that handle it.

it's still inconvenient though.


Find a place that sells this:

https://trufuel50.com/

It's not economical for daily use for boating but it's good for flushing
the bad fuel out of the engine at the end of a season or a long period
on no-use.
  #17   Report Post  
Old February 17th 19, 09:03 AM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,000
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:57:15 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 3:44:38 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 12:28:05 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:


On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:
- show quoted text -
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

........

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, I d think I d like it. But carrying 40
gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

==
Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.


My problem was so much water got in the tank, either phase separation or
something else, that the filter would fill up with water. Had about 5
gallons of water in a 60 gallon tank. When coming up on plane, that water
got deep at the pickup.

On the pontoon, I have three 12 gal and a 9 gal backup. I'm not
filling them full due to expansion. and at least I can control the
quality of the fuel and the moisture content. That's about the only
advantage of outboard tanks. LOL

https://www.easternmarine.com/moelle...-tank-630012lp

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/epa-...ank-9-gal.html


Mine is a 60 gallon belly tank.


My Marquis 22 has a big aluminum -V shaped belly tank. And that's one
complaint I have with inboard tanks is with them under the floor, you
cant see whats in them, or what kind of shape they're in.


I am surprised builders don't put hatches in over those tanks but I
guess if it goes bad you are going to be cutting a hatch in.



My floor screws down.

  #18   Report Post  
Old February 17th 19, 06:04 PM posted to rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,525
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

Mines all glued....

Bummer
  #19   Report Post  
Old February 17th 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,494
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 10:04:03 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

Mines all glued....

Bummer


Your 'what's' all glued?
  #20   Report Post  
Old February 17th 19, 09:37 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,463
Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:41:38 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 10:04:03 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

Mines all glued....

Bummer


Your 'what's' all glued?


The deck hatch?
I have RTV around the base of my console too but that is a minute with
a razor knife.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethanol And Boat Fuel RGrew176 General 10 March 10th 16 11:12 AM
More probs with ethanol in fuel Frogwatch[_2_] General 10 August 21st 10 02:24 AM
Problems with ethanol in fuel JAXAshby Cruising 3 October 6th 04 02:59 AM
Problems with ethanol in fuel Larry Weiss General 43 October 2nd 04 12:05 PM
Problems with ethanol in fuel Larry Weiss Cruising 56 October 1st 04 02:47 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017