Default The 70s

I am working my way through Netflix and I am watching the CNN
Seventies show. It is interesting that back then they were clocking
16,000-17,000 murders with a significantly smaller population.
"terror" in those days was serial killers, and cult murders, not
"active" shooters but it was still murder by psychopaths.
The other striking thing was during the Vietnam show when they had
Cronkite saying future presidents should have to stand in Arlington
Cemetery when they decide to take the nation to war again (while he
was standing in a sea of tombstones). That hit me hard.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I am thrilled with SnoreRX and working my way through Netflix and I am watching the CNN
Seventies show. It is interesting that back then they were clocking
16,000-17,000 murders with a significantly smaller population.
"terror" in those days was serial killers, and cult murders, not
"active" shooters but it was still murder by psychopaths.
The other striking thing was during the Vietnam show when they had
Cronkite saying future presidents should have to stand in Arlington
Cemetery when they decide to take the nation to war again (while he
was standing in a sea of tombstones). That hit me hard.
Man, 16-17k is a lot indeed, considering the population back then. What is it now, like 15k or so?

Last edited by Netzer : September 2nd 22 at 01:22 PM

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:15:59 +0000, Netzer
wrote:

Man, 16-17k is a lot indeed, considering the population back then. What
is it now, like 15k or so?

Looking at the stats the number of murders peaked in 74 at 20,700 with
a population of 211.3 million.

On 11/10/18 5:55 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 14:40:04 -0500,

wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 14:13:25 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 11:58:16 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

Man, 16-17k is a lot indeed, considering the population back then. What
is it now, like 15k or so?

Looking at the stats the number of murders peaked in 74 at 20,700 with
a population of 211.3 million.

===

Shifting demographics as the baby boomers age out?

It has turned around and the murder rate is actually going up again.
Evidently the Centennials are taking up the slack or it might just be
an indication of the demographic changes in the US.

===

That and the drug scrouge no doubt. I really think we should adopt
something closer to the European model and give the drugs away free to
registered users.

A couple of the articles I read after starting to look into this do
point out the spike in the murder rate is driven by violence in a
handful of cities.
I also found out the FBI does not really differentiate between
hispanic and white which falsely makes it look like black people are
killing more white people than they do. The article points out these
may just be rivals in Latino drug gangs fighting over turf.

Just the other day, I read that we've had almost as many mass shootings
(four or more victims) as there have been days in the year. The really
large mass shootings seem to be committed by people with white skin. Do
you think the synagogue shooting or the Las Vegas shooting was
perpetrated by a Latino in a drug gang?

wrote:

[...]

Got a cite for that?

The really
large mass shootings seem to be committed by people with white skin. Do
you think the synagogue shooting or the Las Vegas shooting was
perpetrated by a Latino in a drug gang?

"But what about", eh? The number of murders in those couple of instances are eclipsed in one week in Chicago alone. But black lives don't matter to you, eh?

wrote:

[...]

What they don't say in that statistic is "mass shooting" includes all
of the drive bys and street corner shootouts among drug gangs.