Tim Tim is offline

Default Wow, Im glad to know this

Mr. Luddite
Coors is owned by Miller Beer, based in Chicago. I can remember back
when getting smuggled Coors beer on the east coast was a really big
deal because it originally wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi.
It wasn't pasteurized, so had to be kept cold all the time to prevent
further fermentation although that was probably not the real reason
since the ability to ship while keeping it cold was available. Some
claim it was more of a brilliant marketing scheme to make Coors seem
magical in some way.

In the 70s, Coke’s was more of a cult beer. I thought it tasted like what it was...beer. But yes there were truckers buying it, bringing it home and selling it for 2 bucks a can.

Yes some people thought it was “magical” for some strange reason...

On 10/25/18 6:56 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Coors is owned by Miller Beer, based in Chicago. I can remember back
when getting smuggled Coors beer on the east coast was a really big
deal because it originally wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi.
It wasn't pasteurized, so had to be kept cold all the time to prevent
further fermentation although that was probably not the real reason
since the ability to ship while keeping it cold was available. Some
claim it was more of a brilliant marketing scheme to make Coors seem
magical in some way.

In the 70s, Coke’s was more of a cult beer. I thought it tasted like what it was...beer. But yes there were truckers buying it, bringing it home and selling it for 2 bucks a can.

Yes some people thought it was “magical” for some strange reason...

Coors was a big selling beer in Kansas back in the day. There was a
dance/beer bar venue called The Stables that won for several years in a
row a plaque from Coors claiming it sold more of that brand of beer
than any bar. I'm not much of a beer fan, but I always thought it
tasted kind of ****y, like Budweiser. Kansas had lots of beer bars in
those days but the only place you could buy a mixed drink was a private
club. I had a girlfriend from Topeka for a while and became a life
member of such a club in her area for...a dollar.

Bill wrote:
True North wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:18:04 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
"Sounds like the one at the Bubble Room on Captiva. That baby is 20-24
oz. I eat a lot and I took a big chunk home."

Good Lord!
These days a good 8 oz steak usually satisfies me if I have a baked
potato and roll accompanying it. Oh yeah...we can't forget a nice cold 1w oz light beer.
If I'm hungry I might move up to the 12 oz steak.

A 12 oz steak and a then worry about the beer being lite?

1w oz, whatever that is.

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/25/18 12:20 PM, True North wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:18:04 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
"Sounds like the one at the Bubble Room on Captiva. That baby is 20-24
oz. I eat a lot and I took a big chunk home."

Good Lord!
These days a good 8 oz steak usually satisfies me if I have a baked
potato and roll accompanying it. Oh yeah...we can't forget a nice
cold 1w oz light beer.
If I'm hungry I might move up to the 12 oz steak.

My wife and I usually will split an eight ounce steak. One of the
restaurants we frequent serves up what it calls a tomahawk steak and
if memory serves, the menu describes it as a 30-36 ounce steak. I've
seen a couple of patrons order one at nearby tables...I can only guess
that it is either shared or a huge chunk of meat is taken home for
Fideaux.

A Tomahawk is a bone-in ribeye that is largely bone by weight.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 15:23:33 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 15:19:34 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 14:10:56 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/25/18 1:56 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:10:48 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/25/18 12:20 PM, True North wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:18:04 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
"Sounds like the one at the Bubble Room on Captiva. That baby is 20-24
oz. I eat a lot and I took a big chunk home."

Good Lord!
These days a good 8 oz steak usually satisfies me if I have a baked potato and roll accompanying it. Oh yeah...we can't forget a nice cold 1w oz light beer.
If I'm hungry I might move up to the 12 oz steak.

My wife and I usually will split an eight ounce steak. One of the
restaurants we frequent serves up what it calls a tomahawk steak and if
memory serves, the menu describes it as a 30-36 ounce steak. I've seen a
couple of patrons order one at nearby tables...I can only guess that it
is either shared or a huge chunk of meat is taken home for Fideaux.

"Tomahawk Steak" is a clever way to serve you a great big bone at
restaurant prices. All they do is leave the whole rib bone on a butt
end rib steak, similar to how you "french" lamb chops. Usually they
cut that bone off.
I bet a 36 oz Tomahawk fillets out at around 16-18 oz of meat. The
meat they cut off that bone end used to be called "plate" and it was
so cheap at Swift that my sister fed it to her dogs. Then when the
fajita craze started, they called it flank steak and charged more for
it than the rib steak.

Dunno...the ones I have seen are gi-normous chucks'o'beouf.

If you think a 4 oz steak is a meal they are all huge chunks of beef.
The ones I looked at in Costco looked like a 16 oz rib eye on a 16 oz
bone. I kept walking.
I have seen rib steaks cut off the primal and it did not impress me.
The first thing they used to do was throw that big rib section up on
the band saw and cut those rib bones off.
In those days the plate was pretty much trash, not even worth throwing
in the hamburger. My brother in law could get all he could shove in a
grocery bag for a buck.

Weird Costco. I've never seen rib steak with the bone in at any of our Costco stores.

They had these at the end of the case with the Prime steaks where they
seem to try special/new items. I only saw them once.
I agree usually you just see the cryopacks with the whole boned out
rib, fillet or NY strip.
Then they will cut some up in styro trays for those who do not want
$100 worth of steak in the freezer. I also see they have "Caps" but I
am not sure if I am paying $19/lb for a cap.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:03:43 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 11:40:24 -0700 (PDT), True North*
wrote:*

"When I was on the canadian side of Niagara I picked up a 6 pack of*
"Blue Light" but just because that was the name of my company. The*
beer itself was very forgettable. The guy at US customs even gave me a*
puzzled look when I came back through.*
Now they sell that "Blue", both kinds at Publix."*

Labatt Blue was my go to beer for a while but the stuff brewed locally under license wasn't consistent.
Now I get Coors Light also brewed locally under license.

Redneck here. PBR all the way.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 17:49:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/25/2018 4:03 PM, True North wrote:

[...]

This was all before "Light" beer became popular. Today, Coors "Banquet"
is the original but Coors Light is probably more popular everywhere.

Back when it was brewed only in Colorado and had limited distributorship
the locals called it "Coors Kool-Aide". It was nothing special there.

Colorado Kool-Aid

I agree I always heard about Coors (we all saw Smokey and the Bandit)
but it was just another American beer once I finally got some, not
unlike Miller so I guess it was a natural fit.

wrote:*

"When I was on the canadian side of Niagara I picked up a 6 pack of*
"Blue Light" but just because that was the name of my company. The*
beer itself was very forgettable. The guy at US customs even gave me a*
puzzled look when I came back through.*
Now they sell that "Blue", both kinds at Publix."*

Labatt Blue was my go to beer for a while but the stuff brewed locally
under license wasn't consistent.
Now I get Coors Light also brewed locally under license.

Redneck here. PBR all the way.

I have only cooked a couple prime ribs over the years for holiday meals. I
prefer to go to the House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. Pay them $40 and
get a fantastic dinner. I watched a guy next to me last trip eat a King
Henry cut. Heck, I brought home some from the standard cut. And the guy
was not fat. Young, and tall.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 20:46:41 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/25/18 6:56 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Sounds like Dallas in the 60s. There was a strip joint out there by
Love Field called the Athens Strip. It was a bottle club, bring your
own bottle and they sell you the setup
I turned 21 there. I had been going there for a week before and they
were fine but that night I got carded around 2330 and they took my
bottle away, telling me I could only have a coke.
A half hour later the spotlight shined on me and they announced we had
a special guest, birthday boy. Then dozen IBM guys, customers and
strippers were singing happy birthday and they brought me my bottle
back with a full sized candle stuck in the top.
I found out later it was a set up but it was certainly a birthday I
will never forget.
We did make it rain in there tho.

glad to see... harry General 23 November 3rd 12 05:11 PM
I'm sure glad... Happy John General 6 January 23rd 12 07:28 PM
I am so glad... John H[_2_] General 152 October 15th 11 08:47 PM
I am so glad... John H[_10_] General 15 November 15th 09 07:21 AM
OT Glad for Vonage! basskisser General 77 August 28th 06 05:49 PM