Default Here you go John ....

True North wrote:
09:47Keyser Soze
"Discussion kind of begs the question...who would write to Herring so
regularly he'd need a mailbox?"

Bill collectors....junk mail producers...hillbilly Jambouree event ticket pimps?

Instigating and agitating again, dummy?

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to
keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix
dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.

This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Cedar is good for fences and stuff that does not touch the ground. You
want waterproof wood, cypress from Florida will suffice.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:34:56 -0400, Alex wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.

This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Hey, I just want it to last 'til I die!

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 03:31:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to
keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix
dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.
This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Cedar is good for fences and stuff that does not touch the ground. You
want waterproof wood, cypress from Florida will suffice.

We don't have any Florida trips planned, darnit!

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to
keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix
dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.
This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Cedar is good for fences and stuff that does not touch the ground. You
want waterproof wood, cypress from Florida will suffice.

We don't have any Florida trips planned, darnit!

You can get cypress just about anywhere but it is a bit spendy. We
have it as wainscotting in the living room and the new room out back
tho. I caught a deal. (470 lf of 1x6 T&G for $75).
I looked on Wood Finder and there are 2 guys up near you (Vienna and
Annapolis) but neither seem to have 4x4 cypress listed on their sites.
You probably have to get it on the internet but they might be able to
come up with some if they do their own milling. My saw mill guy died
a couple years ago. I could get just about anything from him. That is
where I got the 4" live edge mantle piece on our fireplace cabinet I
built.

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
[...]

After some reading about cedar versus treated lumber, I may switch back to treated wood. Hell with
the cute looks.

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
[...]

I put up a lot of cedar fencing at my daughter's house. It was treated
somehow but the tag on them said they were not for use where they
contacted the ground.

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.
This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Hey, I just want it to last 'til I die!

If you want to live longer choose a wood that won't rot. Teak
would work. So would that stuff I advised Fat Harry to use for
his deck.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.
This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Hey, I just want it to last 'til I die!

If you want to live longer choose a wood that won't rot. Teak
would work. So would that stuff I advised Fat Harry to use for
his deck.

Hard to beat Azek for lasting a long time. I am certainly not thrilled
with the "treated" wood they sell at the home store. If you have a
marine supply they can get you real CCA at a significant saturation
(0.8 or so).
Of course at our age that cedar might last as long as we do. ;-)

I am getting ready to pull my test of CaC lumber using an assortment
of fasteners and materials. It has been out in the weather laying on
the ground for 5 years.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/PT%20lumber...2010-25-13.jpg

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
[...]