John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Here you go John ....

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 09:58:39 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 06:22:52 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 03:31:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Alex wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to
keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix
dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.
This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.

Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Cedar is good for fences and stuff that does not touch the ground. You
want waterproof wood, cypress from Florida will suffice.

We don't have any Florida trips planned, darnit!

You can get cypress just about anywhere but it is a bit spendy. We
have it as wainscotting in the living room and the new room out back
tho. I caught a deal. (470 lf of 1x6 T&G for $75).
I looked on Wood Finder and there are 2 guys up near you (Vienna and
Annapolis) but neither seem to have 4x4 cypress listed on their sites.
You probably have to get it on the internet but they might be able to
come up with some if they do their own milling. My saw mill guy died
a couple years ago. I could get just about anything from him. That is
where I got the 4" live edge mantle piece on our fireplace cabinet I
built.

After some reading about cedar versus treated lumber, I may switch back to treated wood. Hell with
the cute looks.