Default Here you go John ....

justan wrote:
John H. Wrote in message:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:34:56 -0400, Alex wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to keep our damp soil away from the treated wood.
I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top.
This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it.
Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence?

Hey, I just want it to last 'til I die!

If you want to live longer choose a wood that won't rot. Teak
would work. So would that stuff I advised Fat Harry to use for
his deck.

Ipe?

Alex Wrote in message:
justan wrote: John H. Wrote in message: On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:34:56 -0400, Alex wrote: John H. wrote: On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote: I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to keep our damp soil away from the treated wood. I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top. This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it. Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence? Hey, I just want it to last 'til I die! If you want to live longer choose a wood that won't rot. Teak would work. So would that stuff I advised Fat Harry to use for his deck.Ipe?

Yes.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 20:10:27 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:
justan wrote: John H. Wrote in message: On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:34:56 -0400, Alex wrote: John H. wrote: On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:49:40 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote: I put a shovel or so of gravel in the bottom of the hole. I like to keep our damp soil away from the treated wood. I do my mixing in the wheelbarrow. Don't recall seeing the dry mix dumped into the hole and then water sprayed on top. This isn't 'treated wood', it's cedar. Dampness won't hurt it. Over time it will. Ever seen an old cedar fence? Hey, I just want it to last 'til I die! If you want to live longer choose a wood that won't rot. Teak would work. So would that stuff I advised Fat Harry to use for his deck.Ipe?

Yes.

If you used Ipe I doubt you need a 4x4. I am not sure how you would
break a 2x4.
I still have some scraps around here from the Ipe deck in the new tiki
bar. I also picked up some in the keys when they were putting a new
deck in at the bight. That was what convinced us to use it for the
bar. I gave my wife a piece of Trex, a piece of Azec type material and
a piece of Ipe. There was no question.
We already knew PT was a no go.

Alex Wrote in message:
[...]

Most of the ready-made brackets for mounting the mail box mount on 4X4's.

I was just referring to the strength of the wood but you could double
up the last couple inches.
I am sure you will find Azek is cheaper than Ipe.

Alex Wrote in message:
[...]

I used treated 4X4 ready-made mailbox post. Cost about $27. Next time I'll make my own and save a
couple dollars (right!).