Default My new dog.

On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 13:58:41 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 07:22:02 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 20:24:41 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 15:31:58 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

Well, I hope you didn't give out our names for references.
Exposing that poor unsuspecting animal to your Hillbilly Hoedowns would be considered animal cruelty in civilized society.

This isn't one of your northern foo foo dogs you carry around in your
purse.
He is a coon hound. That is the ultimate "hillbilly" dog. I bet he
will sing along at the bluegrass festivals and the people there will
love him. I actually looked at a Walker coon hound when we were
looking at dogs and he was on the short list but my wife really wanted
a lab puppy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T...d-standing.jpg

This same agency has a treeing walker coonhound, which I like also. If the Redbone falls through,
which it may if it has severe health problems, then I'll check out the treeing walker.

We had our eyes on a red bone at another agency. Then the lady said,

"John:

I might add that Nanny will require heartworm treatment, so will have to be kept very quiet for a
couple of months."

This was the third communication about the dog, and she's just getting to the fact that the dog has
heartworms. I called my vet to discuss the situation. She told me I'd be much better off looking for
another dog, especially after what I went through with the last one.

That sounds like what we were going through. It seemed every adoption
agency was full of very sick dogs. I have always had much better luck
at the pound. It is brutal but they just put sick dogs down. They also
put down a lot of healthy ones tho. My problem was everything seemed
to be pit bull mixes except the Walker I liked. It is funny that my
wife was worried that the Walker might be too "active" for us and then
she got a Lab puppy. This guy goes all day. I am not sure what I would
do if we didn't have a pool. I can wear his ass out playing "fetch the
fender" (yeah a "boat" fender, just to stay on topic).
We swim laps like I did with Mr Ed too.
BTW his "lifesaving" trick is coming right along. He has pretty much
figured out, if you grab his tail, he is supposed to pull you over to
the steps. He doesn't even turn around and look anymore. I try to do
that every time we are in the pool, a few times, so he gets used to it
just being what he is supposed to do. It was automatic with Ed. He
would come get you.

We adopted our lab from the pound. Good dog. Lasted 16 years. Then we had a cat die so got one from
the pound. Within three months we had to put it down. Then we got another one. After a couple
thousand more dollars trying to fix an infection, we put it down. So I'm not too thrilled with the
pound either.

On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 14:07:13 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 07:23:20 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 20:18:09 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 17:33:43 -0400, John H.
wrote:

If the application gets approved, our visit to the dog, and the home visit all go well, this may
become my new dog:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/filestore.r...34_500x563.jpg

Hang on to your hat and grab a leash because Coppertone is ready for adventure! This handsome, 1
year old, Redbone Coonhound is strong and full of playful energy. Though he needs some work on his
manners, his enthusiasm for life is contagious and sure to make you smile. While Coppertone (or
Copper to his friends) is a submissive boy, he loves to romp and play with his canine friends. An
adopter who loves adventure and has a fenced yard would be perfect for this boy. Whether you enjoy
hiking, camping or exploring the great outdoors, Copper would be thrilled to accompany you. He
appears to be house trained and crate trained, is neutered, up-to-date on vaccines and preventatives
and eager to find a family to love!

Sounds like my kind of dog!

Judy says "I'm too sexy for my tongue"
He looks like a load of energy. Hope you have a good place to run with
him. He looks like a good dog tho.
How old is he?

One year. Just about out of the puppy stage. I don't run, but he'll get a couple 1-2 mile walks
every day along with frisbee throwing in the back yard.

The dog does most of the "running" ;-)
I am a "jog" at best. I usually make 2 or 3 trips down to the end of
FPL. Deuce does it 5 or 6 times. If we are doing a long walk I go up
to the scrub (park). This time of year we pretty much have the place
to ourselves and it is laced with interlocking trails.
https://floridahikes.com/esteroscrub
These people are overstating the marsh land. That is really just one
trail by the river. (closed this time of year anyway) Most of it is
sandy upland scrub.

===

Any gators in there?

John H
"We adopted our lab from the pound. Good dog. Lasted 16 years. Then we had a cat die so got one from
the pound. Within three months we had to put it down. Then we got another one. After a couple
thousand more dollars trying to fix an infection, we put it down. So I'm not too thrilled with the
pound either."

With all that trouble in the past, why not contact the local American Kennel Club for recommendations on reliable breeders of the dog you really like?
What's a grand or two to y'all.

True North wrote:
John H
"We adopted our lab from the pound. Good dog. Lasted 16 years. Then we
had a cat die so got one from
the pound. Within three months we had to put it down. Then we got another
one. After a couple
thousand more dollars trying to fix an infection, we put it down. So I'm
not too thrilled with the
pound either."

With all that trouble in the past, why not contact the local American
Kennel Club for recommendations on reliable breeders of the dog you really like?
What's a grand or two to y'all.

You and Harry do not seem to mind your dollars. Why he has filed
bankruptcy a couple times, and you are jealous of those who saved and
invested.

wrote:

[...]

Dunno about cats, they are like Bic lighters aren't they ;-)
Our two pounds to give dogs a fairly good examination, check for heart
worms rabies etc and vaccinate them. Then they get neutered and
chipped before they adopt out.
I got lucky with Ed because they had a "big dog" special going on and
I got him for free. He was a dead dog walking for close to a week but
they really felt a yellow lab would get adopted. Auggie was the same
way. The girls out at Desoto tricked up his paperwork for a couple
weeks to keep from killing him. He was an ugly sommitch but a great
dog. Never did a single bad thing, but neither did Ed.
Deuce on the other hand is a work in progress.

wrote:

[...]

We've had lots of cats over the years. All of them were homeless or
semi-homeless who were just wanderers. I usually was able to trap them
in a non-harmful trap baited with an open can of sardines. Once they are
caught, I run them up to the vet for a checkup and shots. Then they come
inside and live inside for the rest of their lives...and most of them
have lived with us for 15-20 years, with a couple of heartbreakers who
died after a decade or a little longer.

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 7:54:50 PM UTC-4, True North wrote:
John H
"We adopted our lab from the pound. Good dog. Lasted 16 years. Then we had a cat die so got one from
the pound. Within three months we had to put it down. Then we got another one. After a couple
thousand more dollars trying to fix an infection, we put it down. So I'm not too thrilled with the
pound either."

With all that trouble in the past, why not contact the local American Kennel Club for recommendations on reliable breeders of the dog you really like?
What's a grand or two to y'all.

There are far too many dogs needing a home to buy one from a breeder. Besides, "bred" dogs as a group are the most troublesome. Assholes buy bred dogs to show off at the park. A man tries to give a home to one that needs it.

wrote:

[...]

It was right there in the river where I smacked the 4-5 footer going
after Deuce. My home made boat hook got the gator's attention.
(a Hoe handle with a 7/16" SS hook in it)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Boat%20hook.jpg

I doubt you will see one in the upland area where we walk tho. Judy
hit a wild hog on the face with a Nextel up there once and I saw bear
tracks. The cougar that used to live there got run over at the airport
by a cop. Other than that it is just gopher turtles, rabbits and
sometimes an eagle or two.

Kalif Swill guzzles...

"You and Harry do not seem to mind your dollars. Â*Why he has filedÂ*
bankruptcy a couple times, and you are jealous of those who saved andÂ*
invested."

Say what?
Where did I say that?
I just can't understand why 'mericans refuse to pay enough federal tax to get your country out of hock.
Y'all are constantly looking for ways to weasel out of paying your fair share.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 16:54:48 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

John H
"We adopted our lab from the pound. Good dog. Lasted 16 years. Then we had a cat die so got one from
the pound. Within three months we had to put it down. Then we got another one. After a couple
thousand more dollars trying to fix an infection, we put it down. So I'm not too thrilled with the
pound either."

With all that trouble in the past, why not contact the local American Kennel Club for recommendations on reliable breeders of the dog you really like?
What's a grand or two to y'all.

A lot of people, including me, don't think you should be encouraging
more dogs when they kill 1000 a day in Florida.
We did end up getting a puppy, against my better judgement and they
are a pain in the ass. All the "papers" are good for is a place to pee
for them (unless you want to be a breeder).
I really wanted a 4 year old rescue but I have this wife ;-)