Default boat trip today.

Signed up for a Snake River trip from Clarkston, WA to the Hells Canyon dam
on Wednesday. Got a call at 6am this morning, no trip on Wednesday but one
today at 7am. Quickly got ready and walked to the tour office next door to
the RV Park. Great trip. 225 miles, 11 hours. Saw coyotes, big horn
sheep, elk, deer, bear, bald and golden eagle, ospreys. Some nice class 1
to 5 rapids. Included continental breakfast, nice fried chicken lunch,
cookie break and swimming this afternoon. Plus Nez pierce petroglyphs.
Great trip by Snake Dancer Excursions. How much boating did you do this
week?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 04:23:47 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Signed up for a Snake River trip from Clarkston, WA to the Hells Canyon dam
on Wednesday. Got a call at 6am this morning, no trip on Wednesday but one
today at 7am. Quickly got ready and walked to the tour office next door to
the RV Park. Great trip. 225 miles, 11 hours. Saw coyotes, big horn
sheep, elk, deer, bear, bald and golden eagle, ospreys. Some nice class 1
to 5 rapids. Included continental breakfast, nice fried chicken lunch,
cookie break and swimming this afternoon. Plus Nez pierce petroglyphs.
Great trip by Snake Dancer Excursions. How much boating did you do this
week?

Have to admit I didn't get in any boating this week.

wrote:

Signed up for a Snake River trip from Clarkston, WA to the Hells Canyon dam
on Wednesday. Got a call at 6am this morning, no trip on Wednesday but one
today at 7am. Quickly got ready and walked to the tour office next door to
the RV Park. Great trip. 225 miles, 11 hours. Saw coyotes, big horn
sheep, elk, deer, bear, bald and golden eagle, ospreys. Some nice class 1
to 5 rapids. Included continental breakfast, nice fried chicken lunch,
cookie break and swimming this afternoon. Plus Nez pierce petroglyphs.
Great trip by Snake Dancer Excursions. How much boating did you do this
week?

===

Sounds great! I'd like to try that sometime. We still have fond
memories of the jet boat excursion we did on the Chilkat River in
Alaska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GIpai-Mio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnhiPvwI4qk

Tim Tim is offline

John H
Have to admit I didn't get in any boating this week.

You should John. The weather this week will be excellent for it!

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 05:49:57 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

John H
Have to admit I didn't get in any boating this week.

You should John. The weather this week will be excellent for it!

You're right, but I don't want to take a chance on messing up my boat while I'm in the process of
selling it. Once it's sold and the check has cleared, I'll look into buying another one. I've got my
eye on a used outboard this time. Won't take as much work to fix up. I'll keep you posted. First I
have to get this one sold.

wrote:

[...]

Jet boats are big in Alaska. That was the first place I saw a jet foot
on an outboard and they were everywhere.
Our Eskimo host said aluminum boats and jets are the only thing that
will survive in their rocky rivers.
The beaches there are even rock. It is that black lava "river rock"
you see as landscape material around here. If you can walk down to the
"beach" from the cruise docks in Seward you will see it.

wrote:

[...]

The west is lava. Snake river is miles of lava flows. Lots of basalt like
Devils Post Pile. Standard cooling shape of basalt. We stopped at Lava
Beds Nat’l Monument on the way north. There is an ash layer in the canyon
walls from 7000 years ago when the volcano that formed Crater Lake erupted.
We probably will have more eruptions over the years. 7000 is nothing in
geological time. I think Lassan last erupted 1923.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 18:21:00 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

[...]

I know Oregon is really lava central. That area between Bend and the
coast looks like the surface of the moon, with a tree poking up here
and there.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Bend...ava%20rock.jpg
and Bend is riddled with lava tubes.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Bend/Lava%20tube.jpg

wrote:

[...]

The real Captain Jack held out for a long time in on of the last Indian
wars at Lava Beds Monument.