Default Cut the cord (Dish)

"Must be a northern thing. I haven't seen a metal trash can since IÂ*
moved to Florida. The Rubbermaid "Brute" seems to be the gold standardÂ*
down here. They are pretty much raccoon proof but a black bear willÂ*
get one open."

Up to a few years ago I'd see the galvanized metal garbage cans in hardware stores. I haven't looked lately. I just can't wear out my plastic ones.

On 6/5/2018 10:34 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/4/2018 10:22 PM, amdx wrote:
On 6/4/2018 7:16 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 18:46:38 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

John H. Wrote in message:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 17:15:14 -0400,
wrote:

They finally got me mad enough to kill them and I am Dishless.
The box went down on Saturday (4/26). In spite of paying for the on
site service contract they still shipped me another box that didn't
here until Thursday. I never opened the box. It took 4 phone calls and
a lot of listening to music to finally get them to cancel my account
but I am outta there. I am going to live with OTA and streaming. I
will get my HBO and Show from Amazon, that we already have and we
already have Netflix. My bill will be going down about $80 a month
after I buy HBO/Show.
At least Harry won't be able to accuse me of watching too much Fox
NewsÂ* ;-)
I really wasn't watching much "cable" at all, hence the change.
The only thing I have really missed so far is the outdoor channel and
I am looking for a path. I am sure sportsman and OCH has a deal with
someone. It is really refreshing not watching ad based TV.

Here's something to think about also:

Hulu

Get one week free, then
$3999/month
Watch Live TV online and on iOS, Android, Roku, Fire TV & Fire
Stick, Apple TV (4th gen),
Chromecast, Xbox One & Xbox 360, and Samsung (select TV models) –
more devices coming soon
Stream 50+ top Live and On Demand TV channels including sports,
news, and entertainment
Get unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library (Limited
Commercials plan) with full seasons of
exclusive series, hit movies, Hulu Originals, kids shows, and more
Watch on 2 screens at the same time
Record Live TV with 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage

$4000a month seems a little pricy to me.

So is $40 for that matter.

Â*I've dropped cable and have been been using a Firestick for a bout 2
months now. The Firestick interface is the best.
Â*I downloaded several APKs, and use two 99% of the time.
Â*Modbro and Terrarium TV.
Modbro has a bunch (dozens) of live networks, most of the ones on your
cable. Also many of the news networks including Fox, CNBC, etc.
Â*I won't tell you it's perfect, but it is very usable, you can't just
flip channels, a couple steps to get to your program and then it's OK.
Â* Terrarium TV is just a repository of thousands of previously aired TV
shows and Movies. Easy to search, setup your favorites, it keeps track
of what season/episodes you have watched. I'm not missing cable at all,
and saving over $100 a month, (dropped the landline also)
Â*Youtube has dozens of video on how to set it up.

Mobdro
https://tinyurl.com/yd54d7bu

Terrarium TV
https://tinyurl.com/y9tcl6kz

The issue I see with dropping cable TV and going with one of the
streaming services is that you still need a halfway decent Internet
service to get access to the them. Where I live there is only one
option ... Comcast.

I have their Internet service (high speed) their WiFi router, three
TV cable boxes and a package called "expanded Basic cable service.
I don't use their telephone service and don't subscribe to any of
the movie channels like HBO, etc.

Price for the above just went up to $90 month. The cost of the
Internet service makes up more than half of the total cost.
The rest is the equipment fees and the basic TV service.

I recently bought a Roko thing-a-ma-jig and it works well. Subscribed
to Netflix and I can also access the videos provided by Amazon Prime.
Haven't tried any of the other offerings. But again, it wouldn't work
without the Comcast Internet service.

I also have a WiFi service in my truck which is provided by AT&T.
It's $20/mo for unlimited service but compared to Comcast, it is
much, much slower according to the speed tests I've done to compare them.

I'll probably drop that because I really don't need it. Comcast is
prevalent just about everywhere around here and if you are out and about
almost everywhere you go you can connect to the secondary "xfinitywifi"
hotspot connection that every home and business wireless router has.

I have 10 meg DSL that will run 2 streams and I can still browse. Most
streams only eat about 3 meg. That is $58 a month for internet, $18
for phone and $9 in taxes, fees etc. The Dish was $110 or so and $30
of that was HBO and Show that I am keeping (on Amazon). The price for
that did not change.

I'm paying $45 for 60 Mbps. WOW/Knology.
I had 30Mbps and it worked fine. Got sold the extra Mbps.

On 6/5/2018 5:11 PM, amdx wrote:
On 6/5/2018 10:34 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/4/2018 10:22 PM, amdx wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Â* Â*I've dropped cable and have been been using a Firestick for a bout 2
months now. The Firestick interface is the best.
Â* Â*I downloaded several APKs, and use two 99% of the time.
Â* Â*Modbro and Terrarium TV.
Modbro has a bunch (dozens) of live networks, most of the ones on your
cable. Also many of the news networks including Fox, CNBC, etc.
Â* Â*I won't tell you it's perfect, but it is very usable, you can't just
flip channels, a couple steps to get to your program and then it's OK.
Â* Â* Terrarium TV is just a repository of thousands of previously
aired TV
shows and Movies. Easy to search, setup your favorites, it keeps track
of what season/episodes you have watched. I'm not missing cable at all,
and saving over $100 a month, (dropped the landline also)
Â* Â*Youtube has dozens of video on how to set it up.

Mobdro
https://tinyurl.com/yd54d7bu

Terrarium TV
https://tinyurl.com/y9tcl6kz

The issue I see with dropping cable TV and going with one of the
streaming services is that you still need a halfway decent Internet
service to get access to the them.Â* Where I live there is only one
option ... Comcast.

I have their Internet service (high speed) their WiFi router, three
TV cable boxes and a package called "expanded Basic cable service.
I don't use their telephone service and don't subscribe to any of
the movie channels like HBO, etc.

Price for the above just went up to $90 month.Â* The cost of the
Internet service makes up more than half of the total cost.
The rest is the equipment fees and the basic TV service.

I recently bought a Roko thing-a-ma-jig and it works well.Â* Subscribed
to Netflix and I can also access the videos provided by Amazon Prime.
Haven't tried any of the other offerings.Â* But again, it wouldn't work
without the Comcast Internet service.

I also have a WiFi service in my truck which is provided by AT&T.
It's $20/mo for unlimited service but compared to Comcast, it is
much, much slower according to the speed tests I've done to compare
them.

I'll probably drop that because I really don't need it.Â* Comcast is
prevalent just about everywhere around here and if you are out and about
almost everywhere you go you can connect to the secondary "xfinitywifi"
hotspot connection that every home and business wireless router has.

I have 10 meg DSL that will run 2 streams and I can still browse. Most
streams only eat about 3 meg. That is $58 a month for internet, $18
for phone and $9 in taxes, fees etc. The Dish was $110 or so and $30
of that was HBO and Show that I am keeping (on Amazon). The price for
that did not change.

Â* I'm paying $45 for 60 Mbps. WOW/Knology.
Â*I had 30Mbps and it worked fine. Got sold the extra Mbps.

When we first got Comcast where we live now it was the basic, 25 Mbps.
It worked fine but then Comcast upped the speed as a freebie to try
for a month. I kept it. I think it's advertised as being 75 Mbps but
I've tested it several times at over 100 Mbps (download).

Really can't complain about Comcast around here. It's not like what
Greg has experienced. It's reliable, ... only time it was out for
more than a minute or so (and that is very rare) in the
past two years was when we had a power failure due to a snowstorm but
even then the cable TV still worked when I hooked up the generator.

On 6/5/2018 1:20 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 6/5/2018 11:34 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/4/2018 10:22 PM, amdx wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So you will be paying $23 a month or so less than I pay. (don't have
telephone because the cell works just fine for that).Â* Plus, I have
three cable boxes and access to more cable TV stations that aren't
re-runs of last year's shows.Â* Don't think it's worth giving them up to
save 23 bucks a month.

But for those interested in accumulating assets, if it grows at 7%
that's $4000 over the next 10 years, . Actually more, because the cost
will increase.
That said, I would not have dropped cable to save $23, $100 yes.
Mikek

On 6/4/2018 7:05 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:31:32 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

I have to record all my favourite shows on the PVR.
Commercial tv has become unbearable due to all the commercials. Now I just fast forward away.
I've talked to the wife about ditching cable but she pays the piper and calls the tunes.

I have a Tivo and ReplayTV but the Replay is pretty much useless
these days. Other than being able to record an A/V feed there is not
much you can do with it.
The Tivo handles anything coming in over the air.

I got one of these,
https://tinyurl.com/yadszwzs
for $32 and a good, high speed thumb drive,
my wife records her soaps on it daily.
Has worked flawlessly for the 2 years we have owned it.
We use this thumb drive, SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
- SDCZ80-064G-GAM46, I don't know if this is available now.
I bought a second one 9 m0nths ago for another area.
Mikek

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 17:45:12 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/5/2018 5:11 PM, amdx wrote:
On 6/5/2018 10:34 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/4/2018 10:22 PM, amdx wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If I hear that they have fixed their problems I might try them again
but, for now I am staying put.

wrote:

[...]

Does this come with a program guide or is it like the old Betamax?

wrote:

[...]

It has a program guide, a little different in that you need to go
channel by channel. Say you pull up channel 13.1 on the guide it will
show you the next 15 hours of programs on that channel, then you need to
go to channel 13.2 and see what's on that for the next 15 hours.
It functions very well, never had a burp, even though a harddrive is
recommended for the storage device, I think they even say don't use a
Flask Drive. As I said, wife uses it daily for a couple of soaps and
then occasionally to record when we aren't home or if two programs are
on at the same time.
Look over the reviews at Amazon, https://tinyurl.com/yadszwzs
I want to make it clear this only for over the air digital channels,
it will not work on cable. Although one review says something about an
unsupported firmware download.
Mikek

wrote:

[...]

I have a Tivo for that and it has multiple tuners. Four I think but I
have never tried to record more that it will take at one time so I am
not sure. We really just started using it although I have had it over
a year. That was the first time I tried to fire Dish and they cut my
bill in half for a year but that was half of their "full boat" deal.
I had virtually every channel they sell and there was still nothing
on. I found myself watching a stream more than satellite and I had
over 300 channels.

wrote:

[...]

The Homeworx is a single tuner, and doesn't require a monthly
subscription and costs about 1/3 to 1/5 the price of a TIVO.
I bought it for my wife to record soaps after my cable company switched
to digital signals and the VCR could no long record the signal.
Mikek