Default Cut the cord (Dish)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 18:46:38 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

John H. Wrote in message:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 17:15:14 -0400, wrote:

They finally got me mad enough to kill them and I am Dishless.
The box went down on Saturday (4/26). In spite of paying for the on
site service contract they still shipped me another box that didn't
here until Thursday. I never opened the box. It took 4 phone calls and
a lot of listening to music to finally get them to cancel my account
but I am outta there. I am going to live with OTA and streaming. I
will get my HBO and Show from Amazon, that we already have and we
already have Netflix. My bill will be going down about $80 a month
after I buy HBO/Show.
At least Harry won't be able to accuse me of watching too much Fox
News ;-)
I really wasn't watching much "cable" at all, hence the change.
The only thing I have really missed so far is the outdoor channel and
I am looking for a path. I am sure sportsman and OCH has a deal with
someone. It is really refreshing not watching ad based TV.

Here's something to think about also:

Hulu

Get one week free, then
$3999/month
Watch Live TV online and on iOS, Android, Roku, Fire TV & Fire Stick, Apple TV (4th gen),
Chromecast, Xbox One & Xbox 360, and Samsung (select TV models) – more devices coming soon
Stream 50+ top Live and On Demand TV channels including sports, news, and entertainment
Get unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library (Limited Commercials plan) with full seasons of
exclusive series, hit movies, Hulu Originals, kids shows, and more
Watch on 2 screens at the same time
Record Live TV with 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage

$4000a month seems a little pricy to me.

So is $40 for that matter.

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

I'll bet you realize a decimal didn't take in the copy/paste!

wrote:

[...]

I've dropped cable and have been been using a Firestick for a bout 2
months now. The Firestick interface is the best.
I downloaded several APKs, and use two 99% of the time.
Modbro and Terrarium TV.
Modbro has a bunch (dozens) of live networks, most of the ones on your
cable. Also many of the news networks including Fox, CNBC, etc.
I won't tell you it's perfect, but it is very usable, you can't just
flip channels, a couple steps to get to your program and then it's OK.
Terrarium TV is just a repository of thousands of previously aired TV
shows and Movies. Easy to search, setup your favorites, it keeps track
of what season/episodes you have watched. I'm not missing cable at all,
and saving over $100 a month, (dropped the landline also)
Youtube has dozens of video on how to set it up.

Mobdro
https://tinyurl.com/yd54d7bu

Terrarium TV
https://tinyurl.com/y9tcl6kz

wrote:

[...]

We are actually enjoying the TV being off. When you have to
consciously select something to watch instead of just the next thing
on, you find you become more selective. You certainly don't have the
excuse, "dunno, that was just what was on"

wrote:

They finally got me mad enough to kill them and I am Dishless.
The box went down on Saturday (4/26). In spite of paying for the on
site service contract they still shipped me another box that didn't
here until Thursday. I never opened the box. It took 4 phone calls and
a lot of listening to music to finally get them to cancel my account
but I am outta there. I am going to live with OTA and streaming. I
will get my HBO and Show from Amazon, that we already have and we
already have Netflix. My bill will be going down about $80 a month
after I buy HBO/Show.
At least Harry won't be able to accuse me of watching too much Fox
NewsÂ* ;-)
[...]

Â*I've dropped cable and have been been using a Firestick for a bout 2
months now. The Firestick interface is the best.
Â*I downloaded several APKs, and use two 99% of the time.
Â*Modbro and Terrarium TV.
Modbro has a bunch (dozens) of live networks, most of the ones on your
cable. Also many of the news networks including Fox, CNBC, etc.
Â*I won't tell you it's perfect, but it is very usable, you can't just
flip channels, a couple steps to get to your program and then it's OK.
Â* Terrarium TV is just a repository of thousands of previously aired TV
shows and Movies. Easy to search, setup your favorites, it keeps track
of what season/episodes you have watched. I'm not missing cable at all,
and saving over $100 a month, (dropped the landline also)
Â*Youtube has dozens of video on how to set it up.

Mobdro
https://tinyurl.com/yd54d7bu

Terrarium TV
https://tinyurl.com/y9tcl6kz

The issue I see with dropping cable TV and going with one of the
streaming services is that you still need a halfway decent Internet
service to get access to the them. Where I live there is only one
option ... Comcast.

I have their Internet service (high speed) their WiFi router, three
TV cable boxes and a package called "expanded Basic cable service.
I don't use their telephone service and don't subscribe to any of
the movie channels like HBO, etc.

Price for the above just went up to $90 month. The cost of the
Internet service makes up more than half of the total cost.
The rest is the equipment fees and the basic TV service.

I recently bought a Roko thing-a-ma-jig and it works well. Subscribed
to Netflix and I can also access the videos provided by Amazon Prime.
Haven't tried any of the other offerings. But again, it wouldn't work
without the Comcast Internet service.

I also have a WiFi service in my truck which is provided by AT&T.
It's $20/mo for unlimited service but compared to Comcast, it is
much, much slower according to the speed tests I've done to compare them.

I'll probably drop that because I really don't need it. Comcast is
prevalent just about everywhere around here and if you are out and about
almost everywhere you go you can connect to the secondary "xfinitywifi"
hotspot connection that every home and business wireless router has.

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds much like Cox here.

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

Zat so.:-)

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have 10 meg DSL that will run 2 streams and I can still browse. Most
streams only eat about 3 meg. That is $58 a month for internet, $18
for phone and $9 in taxes, fees etc. The Dish was $110 or so and $30
of that was HBO and Show that I am keeping (on Amazon). The price for
that did not change.

On 6/5/2018 11:34 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/4/2018 10:22 PM, amdx wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So you will be paying $23 a month or so less than I pay. (don't have
telephone because the cell works just fine for that). Plus, I have
three cable boxes and access to more cable TV stations that aren't
re-runs of last year's shows. Don't think it's worth giving them up to
save 23 bucks a month.

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 14:20:38 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/5/2018 11:34 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 06:26:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/4/2018 10:22 PM, amdx wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I had 300 channels and there was still not much on I wanted to watch.
TV really sucks and to add insult to that, 16-20 minutes out of every
hour is something other than the show you want to watch. (ads, station
promos or some politician telling me what a wonderful job he is doing)
To be honest, 10 days in, with no satellite, the only thing I miss is
the caller ID on the TV (a Dish thing). The TV stays off most of the
time.
Since my only other option for broadband is Comcast, I am pretty much
stuck with DSL. I wouldn't take Comcast if it was $23 less than I pay
now. Their reliability is lousy here. They have been upgrading their
physical plant since Irma, when the whole system was out for a couple
weeks around my neighborhood (not even TV) and the internet didn't
really get back to 100% for a month.
Maybe if I start hearing better stories I might give them a shot but
the guy up the street from me gripes every time I talk to him and he
is a contractor for Comcast (former employee). He is the one who told
my wife the reason the service sucked so badly at the club she ran was
because the infrastructure had not been upgraded since the Reagan
administration when South Florida Cable was bought out by Media One.
(two cable companies ago).