Default Hey John, I think I'll try this.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I ran across this simple recipe and thought I'd pass it along. Looks really good. almost no prep time. You might consider this for your next camping meeting. See what you think....

SLOW COOKER FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
PREP TIMEÂ*5 MINUTESÂ*COOK TIMEÂ*8 HOURS 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIMEÂ*8 HRS 15 MINSÂ*
SERVESÂ*8Â*Â* Â*Â*ADJUST SERVINGS

PLEASE NOTE: All slow cookers are different and some take longer/shorter than others. If your meat is not easily shredding after cooking, keep cooking it! It will get tender and easy to shred if it cooks long enough. If you double this recipe or use a larger roast, you will need to add cooking time as well.

INGREDIENTS

Â*2Â*cans (10.5 ounces each) condensed French Onion Soup
Â*1Â*can (10.5 ounces) Beef Consomme
Â*3-4Â*pounds beef chuck roast
Â*8Â*sandwich rolls
Â*8Â*slices provolone cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place the roast in a slow cooker. Pour the soup and consomme over the top.

2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

3. Remove 3 cups of the juice from the slow cookerrÂ*with a measuring cupÂ*or ladle and add to a small sauce pan. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce to a hard simmer and let cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the beef to a pie plate and shred with a fork.

5. Place the sandwich rolls in a 9x13 pan and spoon meat into each roll. Top with provolone cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

6. Serve immediately with the sauce on the side for dipping.

It is a lot better if you sear that roast before you slow cook it and
if you caramelize a cup or 2 of onions while you are doing that you
can skip the onion soup. I usually use beef broth or stock.
Deglaze the pan with red wine to get the bits up from the sear.

Tim Tim is offline

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim

It is a lot better if you sear that roast before you slow cook it and
if you caramelize a cup or 2 of onions while you are doing that you
can skip the onion soup. I usually use beef broth or stock.
Deglaze the pan with red wine to get the bits up from the sear.

That’s just it, Greg, the object isn’t to make a steak out of it. It’s to make really flakey chunks of meat . Like for a sandwich. But I’ll do potatoes instead.

I’m still gonna see what happens with it just the way it is...

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:13:46 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim

It is a lot better if you sear that roast before you slow cook it and
if you caramelize a cup or 2 of onions while you are doing that you
can skip the onion soup. I usually use beef broth or stock.
Deglaze the pan with red wine to get the bits up from the sear.

That’s just it, Greg, the object isn’t to make a steak out of it. It’s to make really flakey chunks of meat . Like for a sandwich. But I’ll do potatoes instead.

I’m still gonna see what happens with it just the way it is...

I don't think searing prior to dumping in the crockpot makes a bit of difference. Done it both ways.

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim

It is a lot better if you sear that roast before you slow cook it and
if you caramelize a cup or 2 of onions while you are doing that you
can skip the onion soup. I usually use beef broth or stock.
Deglaze the pan with red wine to get the bits up from the sear.

That’s just it, Greg, the object isn’t to make a steak out of it. It’s to make really flakey chunks of meat . Like for a sandwich. But I’ll do potatoes instead.

I’m still gonna see what happens with it just the way it is...

There is a whole lot of flavor in that sear, even if you just sear it
in a skillet first, Deglaze the skillet and get those bits into the
crock pot too. I do lots of chuck that way. If you take some of the
leftovers, toss it in a skillet with chilis and onion, maybe green
pepper if you like them, it is great in a burrito.
You really need to sear chilis too if you want to get the flavor
going. I am not sure if you really get a lot of selection up there but
we have a lot of Mexicans here so they have a good selection at
Publix. Once you get used to the real thing you probably will not use
a lot of chili powder.
Tim Tim is offline

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:13:46 -0700 (PDT), Tim
There is a whole lot of flavor in that sear, even if you just sear it
in a skillet first, Deglaze the skillet and get those bits into the
crock pot too. I do lots of chuck that way. If you take some of the
leftovers, toss it in a skillet with chilis and onion, maybe green
pepper if you like them, it is great in a burrito.
You really need to sear chilis too if you want to get the flavor
going. I am not sure if you really get a lot of selection up there but
we have a lot of Mexicans here so they have a good selection at
Publix. Once you get used to the real thing you probably will not use
a lot of chili powder.

Greg I’ve seared many a roast too. And I do know what you’re talking about. Just this time I’m gonna let it play out in its own.

But you also included some nice suggestions there and I appreciate that. You’re giving me some ideas for the future.

Tim wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim

It is a lot better if you sear that roast before you slow cook it and
if you caramelize a cup or 2 of onions while you are doing that you
can skip the onion soup. I usually use beef broth or stock.
Deglaze the pan with red wine to get the bits up from the sear.

That’s just it, Greg, the object isn’t to make a steak out of it. It’s to
make really flakey chunks of meat . Like for a sandwich. But I’ll do potatoes instead.

I’m still gonna see what happens with it just the way it is...

Searing the meat first brings out a lot more flavor.

Tim Tim is offline

3:24 PMBill
Searing the meat first brings out a lot more flavor.

True, for a pot roast, but this isn’t going to be a pot roast. I’ll make it both ways (at different times) and decide which way is best for this situation. I’m making mashed potatoes with mine, and Johns gonna throw cut up spuds in the cooker with his. I might try that one next time.

We’ll see what goes

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 20:24:13 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Tim wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 04:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim

It is a lot better if you sear that roast before you slow cook it and
if you caramelize a cup or 2 of onions while you are doing that you
can skip the onion soup. I usually use beef broth or stock.
Deglaze the pan with red wine to get the bits up from the sear.

That’s just it, Greg, the object isn’t to make a steak out of it. It’s to
make really flakey chunks of meat . Like for a sandwich. But I’ll do potatoes instead.

I’m still gonna see what happens with it just the way it is...

Searing the meat first brings out a lot more flavor.

I know. That's biblical. But I've not noticed much difference with beef cooked in a crockpot. Tried
it both ways several time.