Default Veterans ID card

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:08:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/21/2018 1:08 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:18:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/21/2018 11:57 AM,
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 09:29:53 -0400, John H.
wrote:

For you who have served and want the discounts at Home Depot, etc.

VA announces rollout and application process for new
Veterans ID Card

WASHNGTON — VA has announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification
Card (VIC) is now
available for veterans — yet another action honoring their service.
This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor veterans, and the rollout of the ID
card fulfills that
overdue promise.
Only those veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide
proof of military
service, and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD Form 214 to obtain promotional
discounts and other
services where offered to veterans.
“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for
most veterans to show
proof of service,” said VA secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, veterans with honorable
service to our nation will
no longer need to carry around their paper DD-214s to obtain veteran discounts and other services.”
The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated
time in service,
but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the Armed
Forces, including the
reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions)
can request a VIC.
To request a VIC, veterans must visit vets.gov, click on “Sign In” in the top right hand corner and
establish an ID.me
account. Once the veteran verifies their identity they may request to “Apply for the Veteran ID
Card”.
Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of
their cards at vets.gov. A
digital version of the VIC will be available online soon.

I guess this will help with the PX deal too.
Home Depot/Lowes discounts only work on Veterans Day unless you are
active duty or retired.

Not so. Lowes gives a discount every day of the year. They changed
their policy about a year ago. You can register on-line or bring your
DD-214 to customer service and they registered your phone number for a
discount. At check out you just tell them you are registered in the
system, they look up your phone number and it indicates you are eligible.

The Home Depot in my area also gives a discount if you ask for it and
show them a valid VA Health care card or your DD-214.

Cool, good to know. I guess I will get that card. I had the same
problem as you registering for the PX deal but after a while I got an
E-mail telling me they found me and I was good to go but I never
pursued it after that.
I can use the HD/Lowes deal tho, because I still have tiki bars to
build. ;-)

I really only ask for discounts at Lowe's and Home Depot mainly because
I go there two or three times a week for something and the discount adds
up over a year. I think the discount only applies to purchases up to
$500 (I think) but still, it's $50. Yesterday I went to Lowe's and
bought $220 worth of "stuff" (including three heavy duty, 12 AWG
extension cords ... those damn things are expensive!). Guy rang it up,
and took $20 off.

The PX thing is pretty good. I bought my wife a winter coat for $249.
I checked other sources for the same coat and it listed for over $400.
But, I bought the wrong size of course and immediately ordered the next
size smaller. They shipped the replacement in 2 days. My wife called
them two weeks after Christmas and they gave her a RMA number and
arranged for FedEx to pick up the first coat at their cost. Not bad.
They seem to have some quality merchandise that you can get at good sale
prices with no tax and no shipping charges.

HD now limits the amount. Last time I checked, Lowe's did not. Very often it's worth asking at other
places also. If nothing else you'll usually get a "Thank you for your service". Of course, I never
mention I was in Vietnam!

Veterans Its Me General 29 November 13th 17 04:44 PM
Thank You Veterans! Poquito Loco General 7 November 15th 16 12:09 AM
Even veterans think... F.O.A.D. General 3 March 2nd 14 10:44 PM
Veterans Day Jim General 22 November 3rd 09 01:51 PM
Thank You Veterans JimH General 30 November 13th 04 06:07 PM