Default First camping of the season

Taking off for Bull Run Regional Park later today for our 'dewinterization' campout. Will get all
the anti-freeze out of the system and make sure everything works. One problem already - the toilet
won't hold water. Will have to take it up and replace the seals. Oh well, that's why God made rubber
gloves, I reckon.

Hopefully I won't break something else!
Tim Tim is offline

7:48 AMJohn H
Taking off for Bull Run Regional Park later today for our 'dewinterization' campout. Will get all
the anti-freeze out of the system and make sure everything works. One problem already - the toilet
won't hold water. Will have to take it up and replace the seals. Oh well, that's why God made rubber
gloves, I reckon.

Hopefully I won't break something else!

The shake down excursion. Hoping you and Mrs. Herring have lots of fun John...

On 3/7/2018 8:48 AM, John H. wrote:

Taking off for Bull Run Regional Park later today for our 'dewinterization' campout. Will get all
the anti-freeze out of the system and make sure everything works. One problem already - the toilet
won't hold water. Will have to take it up and replace the seals. Oh well, that's why God made rubber
gloves, I reckon.

Hopefully I won't break something else!

Sounds funny to me being up here to read of using a camper this time of
year.

I checked on our little travel trailer yesterday. Guess I did a good
job tying the tarp down on it last fall. The winds of the storms we've
had haven't blown it away or torn it yet.

Have fun.

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 09:03:39 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/7/2018 8:48 AM, John H. wrote:

Taking off for Bull Run Regional Park later today for our 'dewinterization' campout. Will get all
the anti-freeze out of the system and make sure everything works. One problem already - the toilet
won't hold water. Will have to take it up and replace the seals. Oh well, that's why God made rubber
gloves, I reckon.

Hopefully I won't break something else!

Sounds funny to me being up here to read of using a camper this time of
year.

I checked on our little travel trailer yesterday. Guess I did a good
job tying the tarp down on it last fall. The winds of the storms we've
had haven't blown it away or torn it yet.

Have fun.

Well, there's still a bit of snow on the ground from last night. Might be a bit cool. My daughter is
going into the hospital Thursday, and this campground is close to where they live. My wife can go
help out easily and the hospital is close also. And, there's a few things I need to do and check
out.

Mr Luddite....we've been looking at various small travel trailers but can't find anything that appeals to me in the limited selection available locally.
I'd like something bright and airy....with a good sized bathroom and maybe a bed that converts into a sofa. Don't like trailers where the oversized bed takes a third of the floor area all the time. Or when you can't even get around both sides of the bed. Anything you've come across that's an improvement over the same ole..Same ole?
BTW...our max size would be about 18 feet in length and about 3500 lbs.in weight.

On 3/7/2018 10:01 AM, True North wrote:

Mr Luddite....we've been looking at various small travel trailers but can't find anything that appeals to me in the limited selection available locally.
I'd like something bright and airy....with a good sized bathroom and maybe a bed that converts into a sofa. Don't like trailers where the oversized bed takes a third of the floor area all the time. Or when you can't even get around both sides of the bed. Anything you've come across that's an improvement over the same ole..Same ole?
BTW...our max size would be about 18 feet in length and about 3500 lbs.in weight.

We are not serious "campers". I bought a small, used one last year just
to use locally and for something to do. Bought it after watching
Craigslist for something small and towable with the GMC Canyon. Turns
out a guy only a few miles from me had this one for sale. He had taken
excellent care of it, roof was maintained, no leaks and everything
worked. I wasn't looking for this type that the ends fold down for beds
but now I like it for our puposes. Leaves more room inside when the beds
are deployed.

All I can suggest is to visit RV places or check what's for sale
on-line. Everyone's preferences are different. I bought this one used
for $5K.

Looks very similar to this:

https://tinyurl.com/ycpwwg2x
Tim Tim is offline

Mr. Luddite
We are not serious "campers". I bought a small, used one last year just
to use locally and for something to do. Bought it after watching
Craigslist for something small and towable with the GMC Canyon. Turns
out a guy only a few miles from me had this one for sale. He had taken
excellent care of it, roof was maintained, no leaks and everything
worked. I wasn't looking for this type that the ends fold down for beds
but now I like it for our puposes. Leaves more room inside when the beds
are deployed.

All I can suggest is to visit RV places or check what's for sale
on-line. Everyone's preferences are different. I bought this one used
for $5K.

Looks very similar to this:

https://tinyurl.com/ycpwwg2x

That looks about like Johns original one. It was really nice inside. Amazed at the conveniences packed into a slall space.

On 3/7/2018 10:29 AM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
[...]

Actually I realized after I posted the link to the picture that the one
I bought is even smaller. I think the one in the picture is 19 feet.
The one I bought is 17 feet and has a single axle. Still has plenty of
room inside for our occasional use.

It only weighs 2,800 lbs dry which is ideal since the Canyon is rated to
tow up to 7,000 lbs.

Ah....you've got a hy-brid.
We thought about that type and up till a few years ago you could buy a new one for less than $20K.
Since our climate is mostly cool and damp, I thought a normal small enclosed model would be best but then again, the wife probably wouldn't be interested in camping before the middle of June or after mid October. Maybe I'll rethink hy-brids.

On 3/7/2018 10:42 AM, True North wrote:

Ah....you've got a hy-brid.
We thought about that type and up till a few years ago you could buy a new one for less than $20K.
Since our climate is mostly cool and damp, I thought a normal small enclosed model would be best but then again, the wife probably wouldn't be interested in camping before the middle of June or after mid October. Maybe I'll rethink hy-brids.

I guess it depends on how much you will use it. I didn't think I'd care
for the hy-brid type but again, for our occasional use just to "get
away" for a weekend or even a week, it works out fine. The canvas on
the fold outs on the one we bought is in excellent shape because the guy
I bought it from was a nit about things. When he deployed the ends he
always put a tarp on top of the canvas to protect them from the sun and
dirt.

If we were more serious RV travelers I think I'd be looking for
something very different.

Camping again! John H[_2_] General 39 October 20th 13 06:04 PM
Going camping... anon-e-moose[_2_] General 3 April 10th 10 06:35 PM
Going camping... hk General 3 April 10th 10 06:32 PM
Going camping... Loogypicker[_2_] General 0 April 10th 10 01:40 PM
2006 End of Season First Season report Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 17th 06 12:15 PM