Default generators

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 19:33:54 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/9/2018 7:09 PM, True North wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 19:51:52 UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:48:33 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Harbor Freight has one they claim as quiet as Honda. $500.
https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-62523.html

Like most things at Harbor Fright this is a chinese knockoff but it
might be all anyone needs if it is just for a rare power failure. I
doubt you would want it if you were a camper or something you wanted
on your boat.

I see Yamaha has a neat looking copy of the Honda EU2000i for $50.00 less. Not sure if anyone deals with them around here so I stuck with the Honda.

Don, several companies have introduced inverter type generators due to
the popularity of the Honda inverter series. They probably are all very
good compared to a conventional, noisy, generator that has to run at
full RPM all the time.

If it makes you feel like you made the right decision, I've had mine for
over 13 years and it has gone through hell, especially when the stone
cutters for our pool installation used it for a full summer, 6-7 hours a
day to power the stone saws.

Still has the original spark plug in it. I took it out last year and it
still looks like new. Even the gap was to spec. I've changed the oil
twice in 13 years. I've stored it for long periods with gas and Stabil
in it. Other than last week (before the recent storm), it always starts
with 3 or 4 pulls. I mentioned here that when it wouldn't start last
week I warmed up the carburetor area with a hairdryer for a few minutes,
pulled the cord and it fired right up. It was about 5 degrees out, so
it wasn't unexpected.

I think you made a good investment.

The only thing I would question is not changing the oil more often and
this is old "don't fix it if it ain't broke" me.

On 1/9/2018 8:31 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 1/9/18 7:42 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/9/2018 7:14 PM, Bill wrote:
True North wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 19:51:52 UTC-4, Â* wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:48:33 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Harbor Freight has one they claim as quiet as Honda.Â* $500.
https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-62523.html

Like most things at Harbor Fright this is a chinese knockoff but it
might be all anyone needs if it is just for a rare power failure. I
doubt you would want it if you were a camper or something you wanted
on your boat.

I see Yamaha has a neat looking copy of the Honda EU2000i for $50.00
less.Â* Not sure if anyone deals with them around here so I stuck
with the Honda.

I have the Yamaha.Â*Â* Works well.Â* Had to clean the carb this year.Â*Â* To
much gelled crud.

It's interesting that the manual for the Harbor Freight Predator
generator recommends storing it with a full tank of treated gas
(Stabil or similar), and letting it run for a while to distribute
through the carb before shutting it down.Â* They allow recommend
removing the sparkplug, putting a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder,
replace the plug (but not the spark plug wire) and pulling on the cord
several times to distribute the oil in the cylinder.

They also recommend running it every 3 months will in storage.

They only recommend draining the gas for storage if the gas has not
been treated.

That's what the guy who runs the service shop that takes care of my lawn
tractor does...he picks up the machine, performs that service, changes
the oil, checks out everything, including the belts, sharpens the
blades, and brings it back. We push it into the storage shed. When it is
time to use it again, I reconnect the spark plug wires.

I know this may be unbelievable to you Harry but some of us have the
technical competence to perform everything your service shop guy does.
If you are unsure, all you have to do is read the owner's manual that
outlines the maintenance and service recommendations.

wrote:

[...]

Yup, I wouldn't recommend following my oil change schedule, but it
hasn't caused any problems yet. Doesn't burn any oil, and has never
shut down due to a low oil level. Maybe I'll give it a treat this
spring and give it it's third oil change. :-)

wrote:

[...]

Why, that's just incredible! Next time the tractor needs maintenance,
I'll look at the manual first and *then* call the guy who runs the local
service shop so he can come by and pick up the machine.

wrote:

[...]

Pretty sad when you can't perform routine maintenance on a lawn mower.

wrote:

[...]

It's a lawn tractor and removing and reinstalling the deck to sharpen
the three blades is a pain in the ass. The local guy has a small lift he
uses to get under the machine. It's not that I *can't* do the service, I
simply choose not to. Oh, and the one time in mid-grass-growing season
my tractor decided not to run, the local guy dropped off a loaner so I
could cut the grass while he had my tractor at his shop for two days.

I'm a loyal customer...you know, the kind who helped make 'Merica great.

wrote:

Harbor Freight has one they claim as quiet as Honda. $500.
https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-62523.html

Like most things at Harbor Fright this is a chinese knockoff but it
might be all anyone needs if it is just for a rare power failure. I
doubt you would want it if you were a camper or something you wanted
on your boat.

I see Yamaha has a neat looking copy of the Honda EU2000i for $50.00
less. Not sure if anyone deals with them around here so I stuck with the Honda.

I have the Yamaha. Works well. Had to clean the carb this year. To
much gelled crud.

A local boat dealer who sells Yamaha outboards also sells the portable
Yamaha generators. By the numbers I see around, I suspect he sells a
boatload of them. I doubt there is any significant qualitative
difference between the Honda and Yamaha portable generators.

wrote:

[...]

It's not a tractor. It's a riding lawn mower that can pull a small
trailer. Taking the blades off does not require a lift. It takes a
little ingenuity to take the blades off to sharpen or replace but it's
hardly a difficult job.

A lawn mower "loaner" ? Now, that's funny!

wrote:

[...]

Honda just came to the market first with small, portable generators and
has generated (pun intended) a very good reputation. I have no doubt
that those that came later ... Yamaha and others are excellent generators.

Here's Honda's first portable generator, the E300 introduced in 1965 and
only 300 watts. Obviously, the inverter design came later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA2SEyHVkwc

wrote:

[...]

It's not a tractor.Â* It's a riding lawn mower that can pull a small
trailer.Â* Taking the blades off does not require a lift.Â* It takes a
little ingenuity to take the blades off to sharpen or replace but it's
hardly a difficult job.

A lawn mower "loaner" ?Â* Now, that's funny!

I did not say it *requires* a lift. I said the local guy uses a lift to
access the underneath side of the mower deck. Try reading for content.

Why is a loaner funny? In late spring, grass grows very fast around
here. If you skip a needed mow for a few days, the grass gets a lot
taller and takes significantly more effort for mowing and cleanup. My
understanding from a neighbor down the street is that a local John Deere
dealer does the same thing if he needs your lawn tractor for more than a
day or two...he drops off a loaner.

When we travel during mowing season, I call my landscape guy to do a mow
in our absence.

You're in no position to chuckle at this, fella. After all, you have
horses. Now *that* is funny.

Towed generators Gordon Cruising 15 January 6th 08 12:18 AM
generators longshot General 12 April 11th 07 04:45 AM
Wind Generators Barry Gordon General 6 October 28th 06 10:40 AM
wind generators Barry Gordon ASA 29 September 25th 06 06:19 PM
Generators - a different angle [email protected] Boat Building 7 March 15th 06 02:35 AM