Default Spotting the Space Station

Saw the International Space Station last night for the first time. It
rose in the north western sky right on schedule at 6:54 PM. It was
the brightest thing in the sky at that time and very easy to spot. I
tracked it with 12x stabilized binoculars hoping that I could see some
detail but not quite. You could tell that it was quite large however
and moving incredibly fast against the backdrop of distant stars. The
whole passage from horizon to horizon took only 4 minutes and passed
almost directly overhead. NASA has a good tracking site he

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

---
http://www.avg.com

On 12/17/2017 10:25 AM, wrote:
Saw the International Space Station last night for the first time. It
rose in the north western sky right on schedule at 6:54 PM. It was
the brightest thing in the sky at that time and very easy to spot. I
tracked it with 12x stabilized binoculars hoping that I could see some
detail but not quite. You could tell that it was quite large however
and moving incredibly fast against the backdrop of distant stars. The
whole passage from horizon to horizon took only 4 minutes and passed
almost directly overhead. NASA has a good tracking site he

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

I've seen it a couple of times. The first time I didn't know what it
was. I knew it wasn't a high flying airplane, so I went on-line to
research it. It's really cool to imagine the crew that are aboard and
the amount of time some of them spend "free falling" in space.

One of the sightings I saw was during Scott Kelly's one year flight.
Scientists compared his physiological condition to that of his earth
bound twin brother, Mark Kelly.

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 10:44:00 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 12/17/2017 10:25 AM, wrote:
Saw the International Space Station last night for the first time. It
rose in the north western sky right on schedule at 6:54 PM. It was
the brightest thing in the sky at that time and very easy to spot. I
tracked it with 12x stabilized binoculars hoping that I could see some
detail but not quite. You could tell that it was quite large however
and moving incredibly fast against the backdrop of distant stars. The
whole passage from horizon to horizon took only 4 minutes and passed
almost directly overhead. NASA has a good tracking site he

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

This is pretty cool. ISS passing in front of moon as captured
with a Nikon P900. Watch closely at the beginning when the video is at
actual speed. If you blink you may miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdPvTmHvhBI

===

Nice, thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 10:25:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Saw the International Space Station last night for the first time. It
rose in the north western sky right on schedule at 6:54 PM. It was
the brightest thing in the sky at that time and very easy to spot. I
tracked it with 12x stabilized binoculars hoping that I could see some
detail but not quite. You could tell that it was quite large however
and moving incredibly fast against the backdrop of distant stars. The
whole passage from horizon to horizon took only 4 minutes and passed
almost directly overhead. NASA has a good tracking site he

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

I saw the ISS and the Shuttle one night a few years back. It was one of the last shuttle flights, and they flew right over my house as the shuttle was approaching the ISS for docking. It was dark, but they were both still lighted by the sun, so they were very bright.

There's an app called Sputnik you can get for your smartphone. It uses your location to determine when you'll be able to see the ISS and Iridium satellites. Iridium satellites have large solar panels that act as reflectors, and if you're in the right spot it's like a giant flashlight shining down from the sky. As the beam of light passes over you, it looks kind of like an explosion in the sky, starting out dim, then over a 3 second or so time period getting bright then fading out. The app rates how bright it's going to be for your location, and tells you where to look to see it. Very cool.

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 11:25:36 UTC-4, wrote:
Saw the International Space Station last night for the first time. It
rose in the north western sky right on schedule at 6:54 PM. It was
the brightest thing in the sky at that time and very easy to spot. I
tracked it with 12x stabilized binoculars hoping that I could see some
detail but not quite. You could tell that it was quite large however
and moving incredibly fast against the backdrop of distant stars. The
whole passage from horizon to horizon took only 4 minutes and passed
almost directly overhead. NASA has a good tracking site he

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

---
http://www.avg.com

I see it will be visible here tonight at about 1728 for a whopping 3 minutes.
Sky is clear now so I may get lucky looking in a South West direction 30degrees up.

True North Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 11:25:36 UTC-4, wrote:
Saw the International Space Station last night for the first time. It
rose in the north western sky right on schedule at 6:54 PM. It was
the brightest thing in the sky at that time and very easy to spot. I
tracked it with 12x stabilized binoculars hoping that I could see some
detail but not quite. You could tell that it was quite large however
and moving incredibly fast against the backdrop of distant stars. The
whole passage from horizon to horizon took only 4 minutes and passed
almost directly overhead. NASA has a good tracking site he

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

---
http://www.avg.com

I see it will be visible here tonight at about 1728 for a whopping 3 minutes.
Sky is clear now so I may get lucky looking in a South West direction 30degrees up.

Smile for the camera.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Space for Four [email protected] General 7 August 14th 09 12:59 PM
Website for ship spotting Randy Kotuby Tall Ship Photos 2 September 24th 07 06:08 PM
Space Patrol... Bryan General 0 March 5th 06 07:08 PM
The International Space Station is visible without a telescope JG ASA 3 December 26th 04 05:37 AM
Spotting the bobster Scott Vernon ASA 0 June 29th 04 12:44 AM