Default It's tough being filthy rich...

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:53:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 11/22/17 2:23 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:53:12 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:56:11 -0500,
wrote:

Nope blackberries. Southern Md was lousy with them. I just threw away
my "brush pants" that you wore to go in there and kick the rabbits. It
is sort of like a pair of high top waders without the feet. You tuck
them in your boots but I had a pair of military leggings I used to
hold the cuffs.
The wild blackberries are a little smaller than the commercial ones
and a little less sweet but they have a real strong blackberry flavor.
My sister used to make pies out of them that were pretty good but she
used a good sized dose of Karo syrup in there.
They look a little like raspberries before they get ripe tho. When
they are still red they are pretty nasty. Once they turn black,
everything eats them so you have to be quick if you have critters or
hikers.
The thorns have hooks on the end so if you get stuck, you need to push
back toward the base of the stem while clearing the branch. You
certainly do not want to just try to jerk away. If you are really
stuck, like you fell into the bush, cutting your way out may be the
best way and take the branches off one at a time.
They also will get infected pretty fast if you break the thorns off in
your skin.
I have a lot of "anecdotal experience" because there were always
blackberries around when I was a kid. (along with the normal
accompaniment of honey suckle and poison ivy)

You're most likely correct about which berry they are. They're miserable *******s though!

If you watch the berries and they turn purple/black right before
someone eats them they are blackberries ;-)

My dad's great aunt had what was back then called a "truck farm" near
Revere, Massachusetts, and along the gravel drive to the house had a
zillion blackberry bushes on one side and smaller blueberry bushes on
the other. We kids, cousins mostly, would visit in the summer and eat
enough berries to get sick. I don't remember the thorns, but I am sure
you are right about them.

You don't have too go far to find out. You have blackberries in any
patch of land that was scraped and let sit for a while. They are
opportunistic plants and they take off in bad soil when other things
give up.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:47:56 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:53:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You reap what birds sow.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:27:20 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:47:56 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:53:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Very true. Seeds have a way of surviving the digestive process and
getting a head start in a pile of fertilizer. The worst one here for
us is Brazilian Pepper. They were imported as an ornamental because
they grow very fast and make a dense hedge but once they got loose,
with nothing that really hurts them here they take over. That is not
the only bad exotic plant here but it is certainly one of the top 4 or
5.

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:53:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are a few places here where bamboo is going crazy. I'm sure someone brought a few plants up
here thinking they'd be 'cute'. Now they have a couple acres of the damn stuff.

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:53:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are two types of bamboo. You want the clumping kind, not the runner
kind. Runners sent roots for 100 feet or so.

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 14:53:17 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

*I* don't want any. (period) I suppose the folks that find it taking over there back (and side)
yards must have gotten the 'runner' kind. It's like the 'Energizer Bunny', just keeps 'growing and
growing'!

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 14:00:10 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:37:01 -0500, wrote:

You reap what birds sow.

Very true. Seeds have a way of surviving the digestive process and
getting a head start in a pile of fertilizer. The worst one here for
us is Brazilian Pepper. They were imported as an ornamental because
they grow very fast and make a dense hedge but once they got loose,
with nothing that really hurts them here they take over. That is not
the only bad exotic plant here but it is certainly one of the top 4 or
5.

There are a few places here where bamboo is going crazy. I'm sure someone brought a few plants up
here thinking they'd be 'cute'. Now they have a couple acres of the damn stuff.

You just have to be careful what kind of bamboo you get. The kind that
shows up in pots is usually "running" bamboo that will spread like
wild fire. They like it because it is real easy to grow and in a pot
it is contained.
I have "clumping" bamboo behind my house and it stays put. (except in
120 MPH winds when it eats your boat lift cover)
An interesting side note is the bamboo around here was contracted by
Thomas Edison for his light bulb experiments. The Koreshans grew it
for him up at their compound and people have been taking shoots off of
the remaining clumps for almost a century.
The Koreshan site is also overrun by the running kind and I bet that
even the Koreshans were sorry they planted that stuff. (particularly
after Edison figured out it would not work on his light bulb and there
was no market for it)