Lloyd Sumpter

Default Flotsam in the Strait!

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:42:59 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

Logs.

A few years ago, I was dong business with a couple that lived aboard a Canoe
Cove near the mouth of the Fraser River.

Just downstream from them, there was a guy who had some sort of permit to
harvest any loose logs that came floating down the Fraser. Tough life. Just
watch the river all day, and when you see a log floating by run out with a
skiff and drag it to the raft up. When a sufficient number of logs are rafted
together, sell the whole works to a lumber mill and start over. :-)

Ever seen the TV show "The Beachcombers"? Terrible acting and plots, but
Great scenery (shot in Gibsons), and the profession of "beachcomber" (one
who makes a living gathering unclaimed logs and selling them) is
legitimate, at least here in Canada. Too bad you have to be licensed -
I've thought a few times about hooking a line on one and towing it home...

Lloyd

Gould 0738

Ever seen the TV show "The Beachcombers"? Terrible acting and plots, but
Great scenery (shot in Gibsons), and the profession of "beachcomber" (one
who makes a living gathering unclaimed logs and selling them) is
legitimate, at least here in Canada. Too bad you have to be licensed -
I've thought a few times about hooking a line on one and towing it home...

Lloyd

There's pretty good money in it, apparently. One night in Comox, I helped a guy
land a small commercial boat. There waws nobody aboard but the skipper and
about an 8 year old girl. He was having a bit of trouble getting to the dock,
as he had a 20 or 30-foot *log* secured to his boat and it was screwing up his
ability to manuever.

When we finally hauled him over to the cleats I asked "How was the fishing?"

"Fishing, hell!" he answered. "See that log? It's Sitka Spruce and they make
guitars and pianos out of it. Heck if I'm going to worry about a couple of
hundred bucks worth of fish, I just snagged a $600 log!"

Now of course that was $600 Canadian, butit would still be $50 or better in
"real" money. :-)
UglyDan®©™

I'm fairly sure that most raw logs here in the PNW (Shipped or Boomed)
are stamped/branded, kind of like cattle, So its a safe bet if you come
across one you'll know it, But if you get to close to a log boom while
underway, and see a Sea Lion or two or twelve smiling at you, then more
than likely you've had it.

I"ve got a friend up on Shaw Island that has a permit to pull logs,makes
a good living at it too.

Also seen it done over in Ocean Shores on a daily basis, Soon as the
tide ebbs, you can count on seeing a rotted out ol chevy 4x4 flatbed
with a winch boom, and chainsaws combing the beach, Don't know if its
for firewood or carvings tho. UD

thunder

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 05:29:59 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

"Fishing, hell!" he answered. "See that log? It's Sitka Spruce and they
make guitars and pianos out of it. Heck if I'm going to worry about a
couple of hundred bucks worth of fish, I just snagged a $600 log!"

Along a similar vein, you may be aware that several companies mine
lake/river bottoms for old growth logs. IIRC some of these logs are worth
tens of thousands of dollars, American.

http://www.iswonline.com/archives/wo...um/wood2.shtml

http://www.timelesstimber.com/about/...T&articleID=71
Karin Conover-Lewis

But isn't there a special rule regarding vessels that wash ashore,
abandoned? I've read of boats being stripped down to the framing the minute
they land, and everyone seems to accept the practice as legal. Seems that
logs washed ashore would receive the same treatment as driftwood or tennis
shoes.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Steve" wrote in message
I think there is a general misconception with regard to marine salvage.

You can't just claim ownership or salvage of any vessel that is adrift or
abandon.

Different nations and different rules but in general, you have to attempt

contact the owner and he has to agree that you can salvage his vessel. In
most cases an insurance company is involved and may grant you that right..

If you rescue or salvage a vessel without any attempt to contact the owner
for permission, you may only recover your cost of the salvage plus a

little
for your time and effort.

Often when a vessel is on the high seas, the owner and the salvager will
agree to let a Admiralty Court decide how much the salvager would get.

I know a fellow who hangs out in the Caribbean Sea on a large old tug,

with
the standard Admiralty Court release/agreement papers all ready.. "You

need
help? Sign Here". He also carries 30,000 gal of diesel fuel, just in case
someone runs out of fuel on their run from Columbia to ?? (and you thought
you were paying too much at the marina pump??)

I don't claim to know all the salvage rules but the owner still has

rights..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

That might be the case if a boat were broken up and unidentifiable..

Now-adays I would be cautious about trouching a ship wreck on the beach. You
could end up liable for any contamination or even the complete and total
removal of the vessel.

I've helped salvage a couple grounded or sunken vessels in So. Calif. and in
each instance we didn't start until the owner and insurance had given us a
right to salvage which assign the responsibility exclusively to us, to the
exclusion of others. We also assumed the all liability and the port
authority wouldn't allow us to proceed without a salvage plan and bond or
insurance.

18 months ago I came upon a nice wooden sail boat adrift off Port Townsend,
WA. I took it in tow the anchorage I was headed for, contacted all the local
authorities and finally was informed that I should tie it to a dock a Port
Hadlock.. No! I shouldn't set it adrift again. Once I took it in tow, I
became responsible for it. Turned out that it belonged to the Wooden Boat
Society. I got a big thank you and free tee shirt for my efforts.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Saltair

"Steve" wrote in message

Seems a log is kinda like a maverick calf on the open range. It belongs to
someone..

In BC its covered by legislation
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/legsre...ract/part9.htm

Salvors are issued a LS licence.

--
Saltair

Perhaps the worst plight of a vessel is to be caught in a gale on a lee
shore.
In this connection the following rules should be observed.

1. Never allow your vessel to be found in such a predicament.

Callingham: "Seamanship: Jottings for the Young Sailor"