Karin Conover-Lewis

Default Flotsam in the Strait!

I'm left wondering why maritime salvage laws wouldn't apply. Or do they, but
not the same as with vessels found adrift?

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Steve" wrote in message
Yah! I know it sounds screwy.. There are enough log floating within a mile
of the marina to build a nice house plus plenty left over to heat it for
many years..

These are logs (don't meet a quality requirement or too difficult to get

out
to the trucks) are left on the clear cuts of the Olympic range.. I have
gone out with a fire wood permit and salvaged nice logs that I later sawed
into lumber.. Problem is getting to the nice ones and then getting them

off
the moutain. When we have heavy rains, they come down with the mud slides
and into the Skokomish river..

I would say that if you could prove a log came from a particular clear

cut,
a guy could try to sue that operator for damage done in a log collision.

But, if I round up and haul a log out of the water at the launch ramp, I
might have to prove that I owned the log. All the locals just say, "all

logs
belong to someone". Kinda hard to prove it belongs to me if I don't own

any
timberland ( I do own a little. I logged a couple trees for wood in my
boat).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve