Default Puerto Rico

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:37:55 -0400, Keyser Söze

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:20:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 9/21/2017 11:09 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:49:28 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 9/21/2017 1:29 AM, RGrew176 wrote:
These hurricanes make me glad that I live in Michigan. We may get
remnants of hurricanes or tropical storms up here but no direct hits from a hurricane.

I would take a blizzard anytime instead of going through a hurricane.

Me too. Having had property in Florida that got hit with three
hurricanes in 14 months was enough for me.

Irma was a doosie. We didn't realize how bad until we watched the
news. There are still locations wher the flood waters haven't
crested yet.

The thing that made that bad was we had just had a similar rain event
a week earlier from a no name storm while Harvey was going on that
they say was unrelated. I measured 12" of rain then and before all of
that was gone, Irma dropped another 12.5" of rain on waterlogged soil.
I have not seen a low tide in my canal for almost a month and we have
had similar situations in low lying communities all over the county.
Island Park, across the canal from my father in law still has standing
water in the roads.
Fortunately for me, we are relatively high here, in the Florida sense
of the word and we did not have the problem. The perimeter road dammed
up water in the center of my community but everyone's house is higher
than the road so it was just a soggy front yard for them and nobody
was trapped by high water.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Tract%20A%20flooding.jpg
This is a peek at what it looked like from my front porch on the lee
side of the house.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Front%20yard%20eye.avi

Yuck. You were relatively fortunate that you didn't have more damage to
your house and property. Great video.

We are protected from easterly winds by a 10' high berm behind the
house. With the trees on top of that it is more like a 25' berm but
most of those trees are next door in the vacant lot now. That used to
be the run up to a trestle across the Estero River that the Seaboard
Railroad used up until WWII. It was gone in the 44 aerial photo.
It is hard to get the scope of that pile from the picture.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Stick%20pile.jpg

Great video...sheesh. Looks strong enough to knock you over.

I also have an unedited 40 minute video I shot out the back door, into
the wind but I really need to crop it down a bit. I just have not had
time to screw with it or even watch it all the way through. I set a
waterproof camera up and let it run. You should be able to see the 3
screen panels on that side blow out. I never really saw it happen, we
just looked over and said, "lost another one".

The news said they were seeing 120 MPH sustained and 130 gusts but I
think that was more like 80-90 at street level. It was still pretty
exciting. I stayed in the relative safety of the porch where I was
sheltered from the wind. (On the lee side of the house)
There was lots of stuff flying around.,
As Ron White says "It is not THAT the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the
wind is blowing". ;-)

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:20:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
[...]

Have you seen this? Cudjoe Key was ground zero as a starting point.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i...28.139/-81.547

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
[...]

I agree the keys really got slammed. It came in there as a Cat 4 and
there is nothing to protect them.
That picture must have been taken in the Tuesday wednesday time frame
based on the pile of sticks in the lower left corner and the fact that
my back yard was cleared.
You can see the ruts in the ROW in front of the house where I was
dragging limbs.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Sat%20...ter%20irma.jpg

My boat is still under those trees that fell into the canal on the
right. It took a couple hours to cut it out.

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:20:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
[...]

You back on shore power? If not, what's the ETA?

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:20:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
[...]

We got it Tuesday.

On 9/22/17 1:16 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 12:42:44 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:20:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
[...]

Whew! Even with a big genny, it's still nerve-wracking to be without
landline 'lectricity.

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:28:28 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

You back on shore power? If not, what's the ETA?

We got it Tuesday.

Whew! Even with a big genny, it's still nerve-wracking to be without
landline 'lectricity.

It wasn't really that bad. Once I got away from gasoline and the
hassle of fueling, it wasn't bad at all. I cook outside most of the
time anyway, we had the pool and AC to sleep. I agree it is nicer
knowing FPL is selling you cheap reliable electricity but other than
that not so bad considering what everyone else was going through.
People who were not prepared, lacked imagination and innovation skills
and have trouble dealing with any adversity were just beside
themselves, even in our neighborhood where nothing really bad
happened.
I often tell people they should just go flip off the main breaker now
and then just to see how dependent they are on the rest of the world
to survive ... and that is not even a real problem.

wrote:

[...]

I grabbed four gallons of shock chlorine and dumped it in the pool. It
worked great and the pool guy sucked up the leaves, etc. earlier this week.

I cleaned up the pool with a fine mesh landing net, just walking
around in the water scooping the leaves up. Once I got the big sticks
and most of the leaves out I let the pool cleaner at it. I had to dump
the leaf filter in the pump several times and hose off the filter
element a couple times but it cleaned right up. We were blue the next
day. It never really greened up on me but it was hazy. I had shocked
the hell out of right before the storm and again after.
A pool is what makes daytime A/C less of an issue. We just hung out by
the pool, when I wasn't dragging limbs and that was really not often.
I dragged limbs pretty solid for a few days. I still have some to go
but I had other stuff to do. Right in the middle of all of this I
became acting HOA president because our real pres had a medical issue.
We had a few things come up but nothing that couldn't be dealt with
pretty easily. I invented the "golf cart emergency board meeting".
Without the internet we had no way of doing our normal "email meeting"
so I just drove a proposal around to every board member and had them
vote right then. In 20 minutes we had the issue resolved (spending
more than the discretionary fund amount without a vote), the check was
cut and we got our park cleaned up without anyone saying we were
spending money behind their back.
I was really proud of my community because we had neighbors helping
neighbors all over.

wrote:

[...]

You should not have mentioned your pool. Now Harry'll spend the next three days on Google Earth
looking for a house in Florida with a swimming pool.