Default Greg...Don't see you here!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/u...a.html?mcubz=1

But this doesn't seem to bode well for Estero! (Scroll down to Residents and officials scramble to
find shelter.)

Hope all stays well for you.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:41:20 -0400, John H
wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/u...a.html?mcubz=1

But this doesn't seem to bode well for Estero! (Scroll down to Residents and officials scramble to
find shelter.)

Hope all stays well for you.

===

The area where Greg and I live is going to get whacked pretty hard
later today. My wife and I are camped out in a very nice loaner house
on the east coast near Stuart. We bailed out at the last minute
yesterday against my better judgement. Right now I'm biting my
fingernails hoping for the best with the house and our old trawler.
:-) Things are very rainy and windy here but nothing life
threatening.

There are still a few webcams on the air in SWFL and they are showing
lots of wind and rain, and also an extremely low tide. Apparently the
strong easterly winds are blowing water away from the coast.

wrote:

[...]

Hide from the wind and run from the water. That's what they are
saying. Stay safe.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

wrote:

[...]

I would be very tempted to stay, thinking maybe I could do some good. But truthfully, what could you
possibly do to help matters while being pounded? It's just not worth the risk of injury to you or
wife.

My SIL has decided to stay in Savannah now that the downgrade has occurred for that area. I wish
he'd put wife and kids on a plane and get them out of harm's way, even if the potential harm has
been downgraded. If a tree or large branch decides to fall on the house, there's not a hell of a lot
he can do about it.

Same is true for you. I think you exercised better judgement by leaving. When it's all over, tell us
what damage you could have prevented by being there.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 12:12:22 -0400, John H
wrote:

Same is true for you. I think you exercised better judgement by leaving. When it's all over, tell us
what damage you could have prevented by being there.

===

If home I could fire up one of the generators on the boat and restore
power to the house. Power is still on as we speak but will most
certainly go out later today. We'll probably lose the contents of the
fridges and freezers as a result. Another issue, albeit less likely,
is the risk of looters. This is apparently a huge problem in the
Caribbean right now, with armed gangs taking over homes and hotels on
some islands. Last but not least, if the roof of the house is
damaged, a fairly frequent occurrence, the quicker you can get a poly
tarp up, the less damage.

wrote:

Same is true for you. I think you exercised better judgement by leaving. When it's all over, tell us
what damage you could have prevented by being there.

===

If home I could fire up one of the generators on the boat and restore
power to the house. Power is still on as we speak but will most
certainly go out later today. We'll probably lose the contents of the
fridges and freezers as a result. Another issue, albeit less likely,
is the risk of looters. This is apparently a huge problem in the
Caribbean right now, with armed gangs taking over homes and hotels on
some islands. Last but not least, if the roof of the house is
damaged, a fairly frequent occurrence, the quicker you can get a poly
tarp up, the less damage.

I think you made a good move. Sometimes we tend to think like a 20 or
30 year old but soon realize we could cause other people more problems
and risk than the problems we could solve.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 12:36:57 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

If home I could fire up one of the generators on the boat and restore
power to the house. Power is still on as we speak but will most
certainly go out later today. We'll probably lose the contents of the
fridges and freezers as a result. Another issue, albeit less likely,
is the risk of looters. This is apparently a huge problem in the
Caribbean right now, with armed gangs taking over homes and hotels on
some islands. Last but not least, if the roof of the house is
damaged, a fairly frequent occurrence, the quicker you can get a poly
tarp up, the less damage.

Our power went out around 0800 and I didn't get the generator back on
the fridges until around 2100 The freezers were still running less
than 10f and the fridge sides were 44-45. I did have them packed with
bottled water for almost a week before the storm.
I doubt I would have actually lost anything if I did keep them down
another 12-18 hours. I do have a poly tarp big enough to cover the
whole roof but I never actually had to use it,
I just figured out my boat lift cover is toast. I thought it had just
came loose but it ripped down the middle. I am going to order another
one tonight. (12x25 22oz vinyl trucker tarp)

wrote:

[...]

I am still pretty spry for an old geezer. I was up on the roof about
20 minutes after the eye passed, making sure I did not need that tarp.

Thanks Greg! Tim General 4 December 2nd 15 10:03 PM
For Greg... Keyser Söze General 23 February 18th 15 12:45 PM
for Greg Harrold General 8 September 25th 14 08:47 PM
So, Greg... F*O*A*D General 34 September 7th 14 03:08 AM