Brian Whatcott

Default After 2.5 years we got her started this weekend...

I believe Rick has it right. But if you are not clear on the concept,
you might read right through his explanation.
So here it is again: liquid is transported in the space between
the gear teeth (you knew that)**AND THE CASE**
not where the teeth mesh....

Brian W.

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:44:25 GMT, Rick
wrote:

Gary Warner wrote:

but in the wrong direction....we *must* have put it together wrong.

That type of gear pump works by creating a low pressure area (suction)
at the center of the casing where the gears move apart. The liquid is
transported around the casing in the space between the "gear teeth" and
then displaced (discharged) as the gears mesh again on the opposite side
from the inlet.

The only thing that could have happened is that the previous owner
turned the casing around and/or plumbed the pump backwards, or you are
misinterpreting the direction of flow. Is it possible that you are
mistaken in what you believe is the correct direction of flow?

If nothing else, just go ahead and replumb the suction and discharge to
work the right way. I see it uses a collection of fittings to reverse
the direction of the piping on one side anyway ...

Rick

Gary Warner

The way the pump is, the bottom (lower hose) should be the intake
and the top (upper hose) should be the outflow from the pump.

I think what you are saying is, "Did we put the pump on upside down?"
Hence it's pumping in the "wrong" direction. That may be a possibility.

I'll take a closer look at both how I have the pump now and the pictures
I have of it on the engine before.

Thanks for the idea.

Gary

wrote:

Gary Warner wrote:

[...]

Gary Warner

PS:

The 25th picture here (on the second page) is of the water pump
when it's apart.

http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

Greg O

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

PS:

The 25th picture here (on the second page) is of the water pump
when it's apart.

http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

I looked at the water pump pictures. Is it possible you assembled the center
gear housing turned end for end? It is pretty much impossible to screw it up
any other way!
Greg

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Lookin Good Gary! Who did the re-chrome. It looks really good!

I did a little boating myself this day. It was great to get away from
the dock for a change.

Capt. Frank

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Gary Warner wrote:

PS:

The 25th picture here (on the second page) is of the water pump
when it's apart.

http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

Gary Warner

Hey Capt., looking though the older posts are you?

http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

Yea, she's looking good. I sent out to two different companies for the
rechroming. First I tried NU-Chrome from Fall River Mass. They did an
EXCELLENT job. For the second two batches of parts I used Guild Platers
from New York. I would say that Guild Platers was very good but not quite
the quality of NU-Chrome. However, Guild still did a great looking job and
was quite a bit cheaper. This is a case where, for me, the job was good
enough and the money saved was worth it.

www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Frank, I checked out your site. Nice. Lots of interesting info.

Peace,
Gary

PS: In case anyone wants it:

CONTACT INFO FOR NU-CHROME:
Phone: 800-956-0005
Email:

CONTACT INFO FOR GUILD PLATERS:
Phone: 866-351-8266
Email:

Addy:
Guild Platers, Inc.
48-09 25th Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11103
(718) 728-1291 Phone
(718) 726-3283 Fax

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hey Gary, old posts, old Capt. Damn appropriate. Actually, my 'puter
quit so I bought a new one and re-loaded the newsgroup. I found posts
all the way back to 2000!

The chrome work I saw on your webcams http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

I will contact NU-chrome.

I dabble in the jewelry manufacturing business, among other things. A
few years ago a fellow commissioned my company to re-cast his Huckins
"Fairform Flyer" plates in gold. As I recall, the guys at the boat yard
almost drooled when they saw them.

I will be adding a "spring splash" page to my site soon.

Gary Warner wrote:
[...]

Gary Warner

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
The chrome work I saw on your webcams http://tinyurl.com/k0kk

Some of that was by NU-Chrome and some by Guild Platers. Both good.

jchaplain

Wow, what a project!
Thats quite an inspirational groups of pictures you posted.
Great to see. Go for it guy!

John C.

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:41:36 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

As many of you know, we've been working for the last 2+ years
on Delilah, our 1958 22' Chris-Craft. She still hasn't seen the water
but on Saturday we started the engine for the first time. That was
a big milestone after having had the engine out, putting in some
new valves, having the carb, water pump, head, and "everything else"
all apart. She started right up and purred beautifully.

The only problem was the water pump seems to be trying to pump
in the wrong direction. It's a gear pump that drives right off the
engine (no belt). I'm guessing that the two gears in there were just
put in backwards. This should be very easy to fix.

Last week we also ordered our axels and such, so in a few weeks we
can start making a trailer. We though we'd have her in this year...but
now it really looks like NEXT year we can finally have some fun on the
water.

Thanks for all the help I've received here!!
Gary

Gary Warner

"jchaplain" wrote in message
Wow, what a project!
Thats quite an inspirational groups of pictures you posted.
Great to see. Go for it guy!

John C.

Thanks John!

70 deg. this weekend upstate ny scottht General 3 October 7th 03 05:21 AM
Great Weekend in the San Juans...except for... JR North General 9 October 2nd 03 01:01 AM
Great weekend Paul General 3 September 16th 03 08:30 PM
Good weekend, except for one little cover problem. Calif Bill General 0 July 30th 03 05:18 AM
Retro Oiling Weekend. Clams Canino General 2 July 23rd 03 01:24 AM