Where's Wally

Default 120 Johnson Ocean Runner VRO V4

I have the mentioned outboard and when you rev the motor out of gear it is
very smokey, it doesn't do it in gear at full throttle (maybe cause I am
moving) just in idle via the primer leaver, is this normal for a two stroke
to be very smokey in this situation, if not what may be wrong.

K Smith

Where's Wally wrote:
I have the mentioned outboard and when you rev the motor out of gear it is
very smokey, it doesn't do it in gear at full throttle (maybe cause I am
moving) just in idle via the primer leaver, is this normal for a two stroke
to be very smokey in this situation, if not what may be wrong.

As 2 strokes get older they tend to smoke more. It's due to little air
leaks all over the place & yes despite what some say, even in a 2
stroke, the rings (the blowby on both strokes, puts fuel & oil all over
the place)

The other reason or maybe contributor might be the VRO, if there are
any air leaks in the fuel system the pump will be stroking more often
but each extra stroke to disburse the air will deliver a full amount of
oil. So you might check all the hoses & particularly the fuel line plugs
(OMC have a reputation for leaking air there)

Notwithstanding it seems to be getting too much oil you might also
consider disconnecting the VRO it's most unreliable particularly as the
engine ages. The disconnect process is simple once you've already put
tcw3 in the fuel tank @ 50-1 then you always put tcw3 in the fuel tank
at 50-1. (a small dymo placard at the fuel fill point is a good idea).

Harry Krause

K Smith wrote:

Where's Wally wrote:
I have the mentioned outboard and when you rev the motor out of gear it is
very smokey, it doesn't do it in gear at full throttle (maybe cause I am
moving) just in idle via the primer leaver, is this normal for a two stroke
to be very smokey in this situation, if not what may be wrong.

As 2 strokes get older they tend to smoke more.

You must be up to three packs a day.

Email sent to will never reach me.