Default Strange letter from the IRS

I got a letter today saying I overpaid $3204.00 on my 2011 return and
they will be sending me a check. I am not sure If I should call them
to see what happened or not. I looked at the return and that number
does not pop out anywhere. The last time this happened they told me
which lines got changed on the 1040. I can't believe there was three
grand in that K1 ;-)
I guess it is better to know than to get a bill in 6 more years.

On Monday, 19 June 2017 21:56:13 UTC-3, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 20:27:41 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:29:37 -0400, wrote:

I got a letter today saying I overpaid $3204.00 on my 2011 return and
they will be sending me a check. I am not sure If I should call them
to see what happened or not. I looked at the return and that number
does not pop out anywhere. The last time this happened they told me
which lines got changed on the 1040. I can't believe there was three
grand in that K1 ;-)
I guess it is better to know than to get a bill in 6 more years.

===

I'd consult with a tax professional. If you have partnership
investments things can get very complicated. It's possible you have
left money on the table in other years.

I know I am leaving money on the table with this K1 but when I
actually run the numbers, it ends up being a few bucks.
I really have to look at that return a little closer but I can't
believe I had that kind of money out of whack. I am not that rich ;-)
I am going to start by asking the IRS folks and see where they came up
with that number. Who knows, maybe I am leaving money on the table I
don't know about.
If this is the partnership, I may have to file some amended returns,
and send Carl Ichan some flowers or something,

Up here you get a printout of the new figures and what line they are on with your cheque or payment demand.

wrote:

[...]

That is what I expected too. This is not the first time the IRS has
told me they owe me money. I am surprised they still audit me. I
always get more money when they do. I have that return sitting here
but I am waiting until it quiets down a little. I will go over it and
see if I see where things went wrong ... assuming this is not just a
mistake. My first thought was the check didn't clear or something but
these are not the right numbers for my refund.
I may get the statement with the check, I think that is how it worked
in the past. This is the first time I got the letter saying a check
was coming.

wrote:

[...]

Did the letter ask for your bank routing number and your account number
and was the postmark from Nigeria? :-)

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

There may be things like depreciation, interest expenses and/or
depletion allowances hidden in the K1 that you can deduct against
ordinary income. That said, I am not a tax expert.

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 21:32:01 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

There may be things like depreciation, interest expenses and/or
depletion allowances hidden in the K1 that you can deduct against
ordinary income. That said, I am not a tax expert.

That is what I am saying, There are no big numbers on the K1. It is 5
bucks here and 10 bucks there. The last time I filled out all 10
forms, it ended up being a few bucks a form. I just take the
distributions as ordinary income and let Sam have the 20 bucks.
.... but I may be wrong ;-)

Powerful letter... Its Me General 1 February 4th 17 12:45 AM
GM CEO Letter Canuck57[_6_] General 18 January 15th 09 08:22 PM
A Letter to Mankind rebel General 25 July 16th 05 05:28 PM
Letter to Me! Bobsprit ASA 8 December 2nd 03 01:53 AM