Default Attention: Veterans

I learned something recently that really surprised me.

I always thought that in order to be eligible for VA health care
benefits, you had to be a retired "lifer" (like John) or have a service
related injury or disability.

Not so anymore. All veterans can receive VA health care. Has nothing
to do with a private health care plan you may have or Medicare if you
are on it. All that is required is that you served and received an
honorable discharge.

You can use VA health benefits in conjunction with a private plan or
Medicare if you want to or you can utilize the VA only. The VA will
assign you a primary health care doctor in that case.

Seriously thinking of taking advantage of this. I wouldn't even have to
go to one of the large VA hospitals for appointments. There is a new VA
medical clinic 5 miles from my house that can be used for routine doc
visits, blood work and prescriptions. Oh .. the only cost is an $8
co-pay for doctor visits and an $8 co-pay for any medications you may need.

Wish I had known this years ago when we were paying $1,400 a month for
health insurance.

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:11:57 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

Maybe I am wrong but I got the idea there was a means test. I know a
few guys who are using VA care but they were of very modest means.

I have heard that after 11/11/17 we will all be able to use the PX B&M
or online.

wrote:

[...]

Maybe there is a means test although the person I was talking to about
this didn't mention it. I'll check into it further.

[...]

Basic eligibility is as you say. However, the care is prioritized. Having a Purple Heart enables the
veteran to get 'Combat Related' on his/her VA ID card. This opens up more doors...like the audio
clinic for hearing aids.

Here's some good info if interested in VA medical care.

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/586/...a-health-care/

I use VA for only those things I can't get from Medicare or the military Tricare system. The wait
for an audiology appointment, for example, is usually over two months. When I had the ankle injury
and wanted a second opinion, the wait for an orthopedic appointment was almost three months.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is discussed in the link I gave earlier:

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

That's almost as bad as Canada.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:54:48 -0500, Alex wrote:

Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

Yup, I just went with the first opinion on the ankle. I can ship my hearing aids to Denver to get
repaired with about a two-three week turnaround. Our little dog has cost me two of the damn things.
That's when I had to make appointments. Pain in the butt. Now I've learned not to leave the damn
things where the dog can get them.

Poco Deplorevole
"Yup, I just went with the first opinion on the ankle. I can ship my hearing aids to Denver to get
repaired with about a two-three week turnaround. Our little dog has cost me two of the damn things.
That's when I had to make appointments. Pain in the butt. Now I've learned not to leave the damn
things where the dog can get them."

D'uh!
That should have been "self evident"...as y'all like to say.

Thank You Veterans! Poquito Loco General 7 November 15th 16 01:09 AM
Thank you Veterans! John H[_2_] General 5 November 12th 13 03:26 PM
Also for Veterans... GuzzisRule General 0 November 11th 12 03:03 PM
Veterans Day Jim General 22 November 3rd 09 02:51 PM
Thank You Veterans JimH General 30 November 13th 04 07:07 PM