Default Attention: Veterans

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:11:57 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I learned something recently that really surprised me.

I always thought that in order to be eligible for VA health care
benefits, you had to be a retired "lifer" (like John) or have a service
related injury or disability.

Not so anymore. All veterans can receive VA health care. Has nothing
to do with a private health care plan you may have or Medicare if you
are on it. All that is required is that you served and received an
honorable discharge.

You can use VA health benefits in conjunction with a private plan or
Medicare if you want to or you can utilize the VA only. The VA will
assign you a primary health care doctor in that case.

Seriously thinking of taking advantage of this. I wouldn't even have to
go to one of the large VA hospitals for appointments. There is a new VA
medical clinic 5 miles from my house that can be used for routine doc
visits, blood work and prescriptions. Oh .. the only cost is an $8
co-pay for doctor visits and an $8 co-pay for any medications you may need.

Wish I had known this years ago when we were paying $1,400 a month for
health insurance.

Maybe I am wrong but I got the idea there was a means test. I know a
few guys who are using VA care but they were of very modest means.

I have heard that after 11/11/17 we will all be able to use the PX B&M
or online.