Default Grill addition

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 11:36:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 05:59:09 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

"Grilling is a form of cooking that involves dry heat applied to the surface of food, commonly from above or below. Grilling usually involves a significant amount of direct, radiant heat, and tends to be used for cooking meat quickly."

You can put a steak on a 275 degree grill and cook it to 145, but then you'd have... roast.

Idiot.

I cook beef roasts at 425.
Harry probably doesn't know this but you don't cook steaks in a closed
grill. The whole concept is to sear them on both sides, then get them
off the heat to rest for 10 minutes. I also would not want to eat a
steak that got to internal temperature of 145.

Exactly. When doing a "quick" steak, I get the grill screaming hot, then sear just like you describe. If I'm grilling for someone that wants the steak medium or worse, they get moved to another cooler part of the grill after searing for a couple more minutes per side.

When doing a more special cut, I fire up the pellet smoker at 225 and put the steaks on it for a few minutes to get some smoke flavor on them, then move to the gas grill for searing. Awesome results.

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 11:48:30 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

I suppose if you want a dried out steak cooked "well done" low heat is
the way to go.
Ruth's Chris says their grill is 1800 degrees.

Weber's grilling guide suggests 6 to 8 minutes direct high heat of 450
to 550 Fahrenheit for a 1" strip steak cooked to "medium" doneness. Turn
once.

We don't like steak that much, but when we do grill it, we like it
medium rare, so we follow these guidelines and usually cook the beef
about five minutes for a 1" strip. We have a Weber gas grill with three
heating elements. We cook with the cover down.

Five minutes doesn't seem like a lot of time to me. The steak when eaten
is juicy and tender.

http://help.weber.com/grilling-tips/...g-guides/#beef

Of course, what would Weber know about this, eh?

Weber is the one who started the "cover down" thing to separate their
kettle from other grills but if you ever stick your head into a
commercial kitchen and watch how they cook steaks, you will never see
a cover.
You might as well just cook them in the oven.
There are times when I cook things covered, other times not. The cover
is best for slow cooking or when you are concentrating that cancer
causing smoke ;-)

Tim Tim is offline

12:38 PMIts Me
Exactly. When doing a "quick" steak, I get the grill screaming hot, then sear just like you describe. If I'm grilling for someone that wants the steak medium or worse, they get moved to another cooler part of the grill after searing for a couple more minutes per side.

When doing a more special cut, I fire up the pellet smoker at 225 and put the steaks on it for a few minutes to get some smoke flavor on them, then move to the gas grill for searing. Awesome results.

Extra work but extra flavor. Sounds like a good idea to me...

In article ,
says...

[...]

Open fire - covered or not - is not an oven.

There are times when I cook things covered, other times not. The cover
is best for slow cooking or when you are concentrating that cancer
causing smoke ;-)

The cover and vents do a good job controlling your cooking heat.
I usually don't use it when cooking steaks, but if the fire is too
hot lidding it for a couple minutes works.
We have a gas grill, but usually cook on our charcoal Weber.

wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 06:55:18 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 1/4/17 10:22 PM, wrote:
I have never really been happy with gas grills. It seems some cook too
hot and others do not get hot enough. I have had this old Sams
stainless grill for years and the ability to slow cook something like
chicken is great but if you want a quick steak, it needs more heat.
I decided the trick might be to play with the gas pressure. I have had
a few regulators on this with mixed results so I went with an
adjustable one. That gave me great control of the fire, up to the
point where the flame was coming out the top of the grates. The
industry standard for a "gas grill" bottle regulator is 11" of water.
Using that as a bench mark I went through my junk and came up with a
0-25" gauge. It turns out these bottle regulators suck. I tried 2 of
the 3 I had handy and they do not regulate well and the flow
restriction means if you have all 3 burners going, you might only get
7-8" of pressure. It is really all over the place. I also found out a
little dab will do ya. At the true 11", the burners are pretty hot and
at 15-16 they are really going. I did some steaks tonight playing with
the burner valve and the pressure. I really started feeling like I had
some control of the heat. It seems like far more control than I got
using the burner valve alone. Part of that is the pressure was not
that stable with the original fixed regulators. Now I am going to
start correlating what pressure is optimal with what I am doing.
I would not recommend an adjustable regulator if you do not have a
gauge unless you really like futzing with stuff. I may be looking with
one that is more precise and less range. This thing goes up to 20 PSI
(well over 100" of water) which might be OK for a turkey cooker or a
moonshine still but not useful with a grill.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grille%20Guage.jpg

Gee whiz, just how hot does it have to be inside a closed grill to cook
a steak properly and quickly without incinerating it? Don't you have a
temperature gauge on your grill? I seem to recall that the inside temp
of the steak (not the grill) should be about 145F. Can't your grill
achieve that in a reasonable amount of time? Maybe you need a better
grill or just a bit more patience. What else do you have to do, anyway?

You seem to like to fill your life with "busy work." Maybe you can
connect a heat-resistant microphone to your grill and attach that to
speakers in the house so you can hear the steak sizzle. Or interest a TV
chef into introducing a special home "make your grill a lot hotter" kit
and, of course, a special fire extinguisher so you have something handy
to use when you set the house, the lawn, or the patio furniture on fire.

Oh, minor point. Gauge is spelled gauge.

Happy grilling.

I suppose if you want a dried out steak cooked "well done" low heat is
the way to go.
Ruth's Chris says their grill is 1800 degrees.

I have a Traeger wood pellet grill. Better for smoking, than grilling.
But learned to grill on it by putting the meat on the very front or back.
The heat shield lets the direct heat come up there. Otherwise, does not
get a nice grill. I usually use the Traeger because of the ease, but also
have an offset firebox smoker, and can grill directly over the coals in the
firebox. When I have time and nice meat to grill, the firebox gets worked.

On 1/5/17 1:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

There's no doubt that you know a lot more about grilling than Weber.

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 14:32:12 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 1/5/17 1:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

Personally, I trust professional chefs, not manufacturers selling a
particular type of product.
There are lots of things I cook with the cover down but not steaks and
burgers, unless I am making "well done" for someone.
I usually cook outside about 4-5 nights a week. My grill gets a lot of
use.

wrote:
[...]

Longhorn Steak House does a really nice steak. I wonder if their
secret is a Weber grill?

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 2:20:08 PM UTC-5, Tim wrote:
12:38 PMIts Me
Exactly. When doing a "quick" steak, I get the grill screaming hot, then sear just like you describe. If I'm grilling for someone that wants the steak medium or worse, they get moved to another cooler part of the grill after searing for a couple more minutes per side.

When doing a more special cut, I fire up the pellet smoker at 225 and put the steaks on it for a few minutes to get some smoke flavor on them, then move to the gas grill for searing. Awesome results.

Extra work but extra flavor. Sounds like a good idea to me...

Yeah, that's why I don't do it all the time. That's what the gas grill is lacking... that good, woody charcoal flavor.

I'll tell you, I'm really liking the pellet grill. Smoked brisket, pulled pork, the best baby backs I've ever had. And it turns into a wood-fired pizza oven when cranked up to 500 or so. Basically a smoker from 200-300, and an outdoor wood-fired convection oven from 300-600. The only thing it doesn't do well is direct searing, even though mine has a direct insert that allows it. That's why I kept the gas grill.

An addition to the fleet Frogwatch[_2_] General 7 December 23rd 08 06:13 PM
Killfile addition JR North General 0 October 4th 08 05:34 AM
Yet another addition to the fleet Jim Bailey General 2 August 11th 05 03:17 AM
A new addition to the fleet Jim Bailey General 4 July 31st 05 08:02 PM
Another Addition To The Asmodeus Quick Post Service Anonymous Sender ASA 0 July 13th 04 11:22 PM