Default Ah, the benefits of a liberal arts education

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/27/16 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:
2:14 PMKeyser Soze
On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
I'm sure there is a good reason for this. Like, removing history class
for the history majors. The students probably know it all anyhow, so
why waste man power and tuition expenses . Pass em anyhow.

Sounds logical to me. After all a sheepskin proves your knowledge, right?

So, you and FlaJim the Moron know as much "history" as someone with a
B.A. in it, eh? Doubtful. And of course you know as much about the
design and manufacture of electric motors as, say, degreed mechanical or
electrical engineers, eh? Doubtful. And FlaJim knows as much about
chipping paint on a navy vessel as, oh, a guy who chips paint on a navy
vessel...

And you're an expert on foreign policy because you supposedly saw people
getting shot at a table in some banana republic?

I am an advanced amateur at being shot at, having been a target three
times, and each time by right wingers...And yes,I know a bit about
foreign policy.

How? You do not have degree in F.P.

Tim wrote:
2:14 PMKeyser Soze
On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
I'm sure there is a good reason for this. Like, removing history class
for the history majors. The students probably know it all anyhow, so
why waste man power and tuition expenses . Pass em anyhow.

Sounds logical to me. After all a sheepskin proves your knowledge, right?

So, you and FlaJim the Moron know as much "history" as someone with a
B.A. in it, eh? Doubtful. And of course you know as much about the
design and manufacture of electric motors as, say, degreed mechanical or
electrical engineers, eh? Doubtful. And FlaJim knows as much about
chipping paint on a navy vessel as, oh, a guy who chips paint on a navy
vessel...

And you're an expert on foreign policy because you supposedly saw people
getting shot at a table in some banana republic?

He is an expert in mental health because the wife is a social worker and
he, Harry, is nuts.

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/27/16 4:19 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:14:04 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
I'm sure there is a good reason for this. Like, removing history class
for the history majors. The students probably know it all anyhow, so
why waste man power and tuition expenses . Pass em anyhow.

Sounds logical to me. After all a sheepskin proves your knowledge, right?

So, you and FlaJim the Moron know as much "history" as someone with a
B.A. in it, eh? Doubtful. And of course you know as much about the
design and manufacture of electric motors as, say, degreed mechanical or
electrical engineers, eh? Doubtful. And FlaJim knows as much about
chipping paint on a navy vessel as, oh, a guy who chips paint on a navy
vessel...

Did you actually read the post you are responding to? I certainly bet
I know more about US history than a GW graduate who did not have to
take a single US history course to get his BA. Where did he get all of
this knowledge? Smoking dope and watching the History channel in his
dorm room? He could have saved the fifty grand and just bought a basic
cable package at home in his mom's basement.

I doubt at 22 you knew as much about history as a college grad in
history at the same age.
And as for whether he/she studied U.S. history, well that would have
depended upon the cycle and sequence taken for the major. If your major
was medieval history of Europe, you wouldn't have spent a lot of time
taking courses about the United States. Or maybe any time.
Reading random books and papers, as you apparently did, ain't the same
as following a course of study taught by professors and discussed by
students discussing similar material in a classroom setting and
producing college-level papers. You may think it is the same, and
results in the same, but...it doesn't.

If you have a degree in history, you should have general knowledge of all
history. Not just what you specialized in!

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/27/16 6:03 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/27/2016 3:14 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
I'm sure there is a good reason for this. Like, removing history class
for the history majors. The students probably know it all anyhow, so
why waste man power and tuition expenses . Pass em anyhow.

Sounds logical to me. After all a sheepskin proves your knowledge,
right?

So, you and FlaJim the Moron know as much "history" as someone with a
B.A. in it, eh? Doubtful. And of course you know as much about the
design and manufacture of electric motors as, say, degreed mechanical or
electrical engineers, eh? Doubtful. And FlaJim knows as much about
chipping paint on a navy vessel as, oh, a guy who chips paint on a navy
vessel...

Harry, you have a erroneous idea of what a degree represents.

I am certain that Tim knows far more about the design and manufacture of
electric motors than I do. I studied and know the basics but never had
reason to open a book about them in my career. A BA in anything
doesn't make you an expert or even qualified in a subject. It's a
global starting point for some. Others can (and do) achieve knowledge
and expertise in areas in which they work or study ... without a degree.
This is not intended to be "anti-academic" as you often like to accuse
others of being. It's simply a fact. Do you think you could have had
a successful career without your college degrees?

I wouldn't have been hired by a major U.S. newspaper unless I was well
along in my B.A. degree, and I wouldn't have been recruited by The
Associated Press unless I had been working for a paper and had a degree.
I was hired by the paper at a journalism honorary society dinner because
I was being inducted into the society, even though I wasn't a journalism
school major, but merely a regular contributor to the college newspaper
and a stringer for another newspaper. I learned how to write in high
school, but I learned how to write for a newspaper at the Kansas City
Star. I learned reportorial techniques in the few j-school courses I
took after completing the requirements for my English major.

So a journalism degree is not needed to jounalize?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 22:09:04 -0600, Califbill
wrote:

So a journalism degree is not needed to jounalize?

Not at all. I ran into this guy at my high school reunion and he seems
to be doing fine without a degree in anything. (Dropped out of
Georgetown in his freshman year)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aram_Bakshian

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 8:18:44 PM UTC-6, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/27/16 8:44 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:07:28 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

I wouldn't have been hired by a major U.S. newspaper unless I was well
along in my B.A. degree, and I wouldn't have been recruited by The
Associated Press unless I had been working for a paper and had a degree.
I was hired by the paper at a journalism honorary society dinner because
I was being inducted into the society, even though I wasn't a journalism
school major, but merely a regular contributor to the college newspaper
and a stringer for another newspaper. I learned how to write in high
school, but I learned how to write for a newspaper at the Kansas City
Star. I learned reportorial techniques in the few j-school courses I
took after completing the requirements for my English major.

===

That was a long time ago. What did you accomplish in the intervening
years, and why did you leave journalism?

I "left" journalism because I was earning about $20,000 a year and a NY
headhunter who I knew for other reasons put the head of a Detroit ad &
PR agency in touch with me. After two interviews in Detroit, I was hired
for twice the salary I received at The Associated Press. I stayed there
3-4 years, worked some big financial PR accounts. One of those was a
substantial national FHA-VA mortgage broker for which I took over
marketing and in two years brought it to the personal attention of
Walter Wriston, who directed his staff to buy the company, and ended up
doing so for $29 a share when it was trading OTC for $5 a share. You
recognize that name, I am sure. Oh, Walter was a liberal arts grad.

So now you boast of hob-knobing with banksters, eh Krause?

On 12/27/2016 9:52 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:00:35 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 12/27/16 4:19 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Dance Mr Bojangles.
You don't seem to give me any credit for 50 years of life experience
so the bet stands as is. If this kid does not take American history at
GW, I will sit for the test and he can sit for the same one. Give me
$100 a point and I will make at least five grand.
Make it easy, just use two of those 50 question Face book quizzes.

If you want proof watch some of the YouTube videos of college students
being asked questions about history, geography and historical figures.
Many can't identify Carter, Reagan or even Joe Biden when shown pictures
of them, but virtually *all* of them know who Kim Kardashian is.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 22:12:39 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:25:34 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 12/27/16 3:19 PM, Tim wrote:
2:14 PMKeyser Soze
On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Up until now you claimed to be shot at twice. Now it's three
times. Check the archives.

Three times. Always been three, **** for brains

I also only remember two

You probably forgot the dozens of times he was under fire, a la Hillary, in Vietnam.

On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Gosh, you were one important asshole, eh Krause.

On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Your answer only demonstrates how narrow your thinking is and your
assumption that your degree was the only means of getting a job. It's
not a surprise that you put so much emphasis on the value of a degree.
It is apparently your life's major achievement.
I worked hard and long to get enough credits for a degree in
electronics. Realistically, in my case it was basically a waste of time
and money. My degree didn't open any doors ... I was already well on my
way in a career choice ... and the knowledge gained had very little to
do with the technology I participated in. I learned far more about it
*doing* it.