Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Ah, the benefits of a liberal arts education

On 12/27/2016 9:52 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:00:35 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 12/27/16 4:19 PM,
wrote:

Did you actually read the post you are responding to? I certainly bet
I know more about US history than a GW graduate who did not have to
take a single US history course to get his BA. Where did he get all of
this knowledge? Smoking dope and watching the History channel in his
dorm room? He could have saved the fifty grand and just bought a basic
cable package at home in his mom's basement.

I doubt at 22 you knew as much about history as a college grad in
history at the same age.
And as for whether he/she studied U.S. history, well that would have
depended upon the cycle and sequence taken for the major. If your major
was medieval history of Europe, you wouldn't have spent a lot of time
taking courses about the United States. Or maybe any time.
Reading random books and papers, as you apparently did, ain't the same
as following a course of study taught by professors and discussed by
students discussing similar material in a classroom setting and
producing college-level papers. You may think it is the same, and
results in the same, but...it doesn't.

Dance Mr Bojangles.
You don't seem to give me any credit for 50 years of life experience
so the bet stands as is. If this kid does not take American history at
GW, I will sit for the test and he can sit for the same one. Give me
$100 a point and I will make at least five grand.
Make it easy, just use two of those 50 question Face book quizzes.

If you want proof watch some of the YouTube videos of college students
being asked questions about history, geography and historical figures.
Many can't identify Carter, Reagan or even Joe Biden when shown pictures
of them, but virtually *all* of them know who Kim Kardashian is.