Default Tis the season

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/25/2016 4:03 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 12/25/16 2:10 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/25/2016 8:35 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 22:56:33 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 20:11:23 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 19:24:57 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 18:32:02 -0500,
wrote:

Vesel božic in srecno novo leto vam tudi!

===

Ali imate težave z slovenšcina?

****'n A
I am American

===

Have you noticed how good Google translate has gotten? They are on
the cutting edge of AI (Artificial Intelligence) with some of their
recent developments. I never thought that I'd see translation or
voice recognition as good as it is now. We know that self driving
cars are already on the doorstep. I wonder what's next?

The merge of Virtual Reality with AI

My daughter gave me one of those "Google Home" things for Christmas.
I downloaded and installed the app for it and it works. Problem is, I
haven't a clue what the hell I am going to do with it.

You could ask what the difference is between a fan and a follower of
jesus...considering the season...

I got curious as to how all this stuff works and dug into it a bit.
Almost wished I hadn't. I didn't know this but Google keeps a record
of *everything* you use your cell phone for ... at least the Android
powered phones. In an obscure menu on my phone I found a "My
Activity" log. It had records, including some audio files of voice
mails and of my voice using the "Ok, Google" feature of everything I
searched for, websites visited, contacts, how many times I called
someone, .... even how many times I used "PitchLite" .. a guitar tuner
app. I found a way to start deleting them only to discover the record
files dated back to *July 4th*. I already knew that Google sells
marketing data to companies that indicate your interests, but I had no
idea how extensive and complete the records they keep were. Others do
this ... Amazon for example ... and the next thing you know you are
getting specific and directed ads in your Facebook newsfeed. I don't
think I like having so much information being shared ... usually
without your knowledge. I found a way to opt out of the Amazon
reporting and for Facebook using these directed marketing ads, but I
suspect it's only the tip of the iceberg.

Check this out:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline

It shows me in cities in ten states including Philly and Dallas where I
was just making connections.

wrote:

Vesel božic in srecno novo leto vam tudi!

===

Ali imate težave z slovenšcina?

****'n A
I am American

===

Have you noticed how good Google translate has gotten? They are on
the cutting edge of AI (Artificial Intelligence) with some of their
recent developments. I never thought that I'd see translation or
voice recognition as good as it is now. We know that self driving
cars are already on the doorstep. I wonder what's next?

The merge of Virtual Reality with AI

My daughter gave me one of those "Google Home" things for Christmas.
I downloaded and installed the app for it and it works. Problem is, I
haven't a clue what the hell I am going to do with it.

My wife keep playing with the Amazon Echos and Dots. We have had a few
around here before she gives them away.
So far the only thing we have done is have it play a tune we want to
hear or ask it silly questions to see what Alexa thinks.

It seems pretty useless. There is still one here and I hope it will
talk to a smart TV (it says it will).
Maybe you can use it to call up movies from Amazon. I am sure it won't
talk to Netflix and it denies that it can see your network ... but I
doubt that.
I am still not happy with an open mike in my house that is web
connected.
They do have one at the office that she thinks is handy. The guys in
the office store things they need or are out of on the dot and when
she is ready to go to the Home Depot or Ace she can dump that list to
her phone.

When I did that here, I dumped the list, wrote it on a 3 x 5 card and
went to the store. I am not sure why that is better than just writing
it on the card when I knew I needed it.

On 12/25/2016 11:27 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 14:10:21 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My son stopped by last night and asked how it worked. Without thinking
I said, "You say OK Google" .... and the stupid thing lit up awaiting a
question or command. Now I am careful not to say "Go Google" unless I
want it to do something. Still exploring it a bit. I read that the
Google Home thing is rated best over Apple's "Siri" and the Amazon
thing. I may replace some of my light bulbs with the Phillips LED types
that automatically connect to your network. You can then control them
using voice commands to the Google Home thing. It will also control a
Wi-Fi enabled home thermostat. But, so far, all I've done is ask for
the weather forecast and to play music. It responds very quickly ...
faster than the cell phone.

On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 1:57:22 PM UTC-8, True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite
"My daughter gave me one of those "Google Home" things for Christmas.
I downloaded and installed the app for it and it works. Â*Problem is, Â*I
haven't a clue what the hell I am going to do with it."

My #2 son gave me one of the compact lithium ion battery jumpers/chargers after I complained of loosing out on two cruises on my new boat due go low battery chargelast summer. It's rated at 700 amps and supposedly will jump start a 5 liter gasoline engine. Seems small for that but time will tell.

I bought one a couple years ago and it works great, used it several times to jump cars, bikes etc..
I stash it in the bottom of my panniers on the bike along with my tire pug kit and compressor for long trips.

On 12/25/16 4:57 PM, True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite
"My daughter gave me one of those "Google Home" things for Christmas.
I downloaded and installed the app for it and it works. Problem is, I
haven't a clue what the hell I am going to do with it."

My #2 son gave me one of the compact lithium ion battery jumpers/chargers after I complained of loosing out on two cruises on my new boat due go low battery chargelast summer. It's rated at 700 amps and supposedly will jump start a 5 liter gasoline engine. Seems small for that but time will tell.

Don: do you have a battery on/off switch on that new boat? If the
battery is charged up before you put it away by the engine's alternator,
it should remain charged for weeks. My Parker boat outboards did...I
just remembered to shut all electrical power off via the battery
switches. I'd also drag the boats home from the marina yard every few
weeks for maintenance and if I remembered, I'd toss the batteries on the
charger.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 13:14:08 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

[...]

If your boat is wired properly and you turn everything off before you
leave, the battery is disconnected.
The exception is going to be the bilge pump, if you are wet slipped
but that is a plan to fail if you don't have a shore tie or a
wind/solar charger.
That also has to be on the line side of a battery switch if you have
one.
The best answer is to use your boat often enough so the battery does
not die between uses. Living in the great white north may limit that
but my mother's family were 12 month boaters a few miles down the road
from Harry. My niece keeps her marina open all year and they still see
boaters all winter. The rock fish seem to be thick right now based on
her facebook pictures. (Stripers for you New Yawk guys)
That is a fish that really came back, thanks to conservation efforts.
I did not see one at all in the 60s and 70s.

wrote:

[...]

Problem I had with dead batteries, was the battery combiner. Wired in a
switch on it's ground line. Drew 15milliamps when in non combining load.
So even a constant draw in the battery with the selector switch off.

Keyser Soze
"Don: do you have a battery on/off switch on that new boat? If the
battery is charged up before you put it away by the engine's alternator,
it should remain charged for weeks. My Parker boat outboards did...I
just remembered to shut all electrical power off via the battery
switches. I'd also drag the boats home from the marina yard every few
weeks for maintenance and if I remembered, I'd toss the batteries on the
charger."

No battery switch. Just the normal ignition switch operated by a key and three or four toggle switches to operate bilge pump, navigation lights, and another for accessories like the depth sounder and the 12 volt port for my GPS or VHF radio.
The stereo has it's own on off switch. The manager of the dealer's maintenance dept said to expect the battery to partially drain over a two week period. My battery charger has either a 2 or 4 A charge selection for 12 volt and I believe 6 A for 6 volt batteries. Might be wise to buy a small .75 trickle charger. Brother I. Law says when the Volks Wagon vehicles arrive by ship at our Autoport, they have small solar chargers to keep the battery charged up. Says most people don't want them so the dealer removes them. May have to see if I can get one under the table.

True North Wrote in message:
Keyser Soze
[...]

I don't recommend putting your battery away by the engine's
alternator. What good would that do? Better to disconnect a
battery lead and check the charge every month or so. A dead
battery might freeze and crack.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 12:06:50 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

Keyser Soze
[...]

Is this on your brand new Bayliner? I'm surprised there's no battery switch somewhere. I'd for sure
take the battery out of the boat in the winter and put it on a trickle charger.

Something to add joy to the season True North[_2_] General 0 December 17th 16 01:29 AM
Tis the season... North Star General 7 December 24th 11 12:29 AM
End of the Season Boater General 19 November 5th 08 02:55 AM
Off season season Eisboch General 3 January 13th 08 06:34 PM
2006 End of Season First Season report Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 17th 06 12:15 PM