Default Lower unit oil squirter

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 06:43:56 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:
I had a 90w squirter I made when I was working on cars a lot. It is a
freon jug with a hose connection, valve and a tire chuck. Air this
thing up and when you are under the car filling a transmission or
rear, stick the nozzle on the hose in the hole, open the valve and off
you go. I am about to make something similar for putting in L/U oil.
That is always a hassle squirting it in from a bottle and I ended up
making a mess. I have a pump but that is not as easy as it sounds
either. I am thinking the squirter may be the way to go. I am thinking
PVC should work fine.
I already have a bolt the size of a Yamaha drain plug I screw in the
top hole when it is full so you can pull out the filler and put in the
bottom plug. It is easier than screwing with the little drain plug.
Once you get the bottom plug in you can do the top one a lot easier.

Sierra makes a filler pump that screws onto a quart oil
container. It's pretty cheap.

I had one but the pump broke pretty fast. The plunger came out. I use
a Dial body soap pump now with that hose stuffed into it. It works but
still not as easy is just having a pressurized vessel.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:32:08 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Tim, in the 1950s, we had a three wheel dolly that held a five
gallon can of lower unit oil fitted with a commercial grade hand pump
that made the job easy.

I don't really have the space or the need for something like that.

I had bought the pump for the lower gear oil in my Johnson 30 outboard.
Never bothered to try it on the Mercury BigFoot but this summer was curious about the lower unit on my MerCruiser 3.0.
Fits fine, but after reading the manual once more, found that there is reservoir bottle in the engine compartment for topping up....on the opposite side of the engine oil filler and the power steering reservoir bottle. Now it's really easy to check on all three.
I will get the dealer to do my winterizations as long as there is warranty on the motor. (5 years)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 06:48:23 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

8:32 AMKeyser Söze
On 11/11/16, 9:14 AM, Tim wrote:
Maybe I did it wrong but on my mercruiser outboards I got tired of trying to squeeze it up from the bottom. So I'd do that as much as I could stand. Then I'd take the four bolts off the top of the drive and pour it to the top. And leave it for a half hour or so. Yep. Up comes little bubbles. I'd top it off and re-cap the lower.

Never had a problem. Bit I don't think it'd work well with an outboard though. Lol!

Gosh, Tim, in the 1950s, we had a three wheel dolly that held a five
gallon can of lower unit oil fitted with a commercial grade hand pump
that made the job easy. I know this because one of my first jobs at the
boat shop was changing out the oil in lower units and refilling them.
The store also sold a little hand pump with a fitting and tubing that
made filling the lower unit easy. Cost maybe $5 back then. Technology,
ain't it amazing?

That's fine if you have a commercial shop. But it's not be necessary for a DIY.
Changing gear live 3 times in 10 years doesnt warrant me having something eels to kick out of the way...

I do my L/U oil once or twice a year but I am looking for something
smaller than the freon jug squirter I have. I figure 4" PVC about a
foot long will hold over 2 quarts of oil and still have enough room
for some air propellant. I also do not need the 8' hose I have on the
original squirter. That will not take up as much room on the shelf as
2 quarts of oil. I think that for the valve, an air gun would work.
Easy to use with a push to squirt button. I have one with a rubber tip
that would seal well into the fill hole.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:57:52 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 11/11/16, 9:50 AM, Tim wrote:
"And now, back to the regular Channel of Insult known as rec.boats. Have fun!"

Sulking, Harry? Looks it to me...

Not at all. There's just nothing here. Oh, maybe you think I am upset
about the election, Nope. I'm going to enjoy watching the Trumpsters
destroy this country...

Have nice day...

Didn't take long for you to **** up a boating post did it?

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 07:11:14 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

is threaded to screw into the lower end

Then the question is "which lower end". Mercs use American threads,
Yamaha is commie metric.
Tim Tim is offline

10:36
wrote:

is threaded to screw into the lower end

Then the question is "which lower end". Mercs use American threads,
Yamaha is commie metric.

I'd think that Dons would be "metrique"...
Tim Tim is offline

10:29 AMTrue North
I had bought the pump for the lower gear oil in my Johnson 30 outboard.
Never bothered to try it on the Mercury BigFoot but this summer was curious about the lower unit on my MerCruiser 3.0.
Fits fine, but after reading the manual once more, found that there is reservoir bottle in the engine compartment for topping up....on the opposite side of the engine oil filler and the power steering reservoir bottle. Now it's really easy to check on all three.

Didn't know they started doing that. Now that Would be handy. If they can do it now then I Wonder why they didn't do that years ago.

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:29:58 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

10:29 AMTrue North
I had bought the pump for the lower gear oil in my Johnson 30 outboard.
Never bothered to try it on the Mercury BigFoot but this summer was curious about the lower unit on my MerCruiser 3.0.
Fits fine, but after reading the manual once more, found that there is reservoir bottle in the engine compartment for topping up....on the opposite side of the engine oil filler and the power steering reservoir bottle. Now it's really easy to check on all three.

Didn't know they started doing that. Now that Would be handy. If they can do it now then I Wonder why they didn't do that years ago.

I think there is a external tank on an E-tec.

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:
On 11/11/16, 9:50 AM, Tim wrote:
"And now, back to the regular Channel of Insult known as rec.boats. Have fun!"

Sulking, Harry? Looks it to me...

Not at all. There's just nothing here. Oh, maybe you think I am upset
about the election, Nope. I'm going to enjoy watching the Trumpsters
destroy this country...

Have nice day...

You goin to go live in Donnie's celler hole? Or is there some
reason for you to stay in a country you despise?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Lower unit oil Robert Denner General 6 September 13th 06 10:26 PM
Help: Banged up lower unit Frorider General 2 June 5th 06 01:34 AM
Lower Unit Maintenance Jim Bryant General 8 May 30th 06 02:07 AM
Lower unit oil Nicky General 2 June 25th 05 11:30 PM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM