Default Lower unit oil

I have a full gal. of Bombadier Gear oil called HPV that is used in most
Johnson and Evinrude lower units. I would like to use this in a F225 Yamaha
which calls for Hypoid 90W. The HPV container does not say what SAE wt it is
but one would think that they are very similar gear units so it would be ok
to use. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

"Robert Denner" wrote in message
I have a full gal. of Bombadier Gear oil called HPV that is used in most
Johnson and Evinrude lower units. I would like to use this in a F225
Yamaha which calls for Hypoid 90W. The HPV container does not say what SAE
wt it is but one would think that they are very similar gear units so it
would be ok to use. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

I'd check it to it further. I read something about hypoid and non-hypoid
lubricants a while ago but can't remember all the details. I think I recall
that it has to do with how the gears are cut - in fact I think some types of
gears are called hypoid gears and require a hypoid rated lube to allow the
gear sets to "slide" across the faces.

Or something like that.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Robert Denner" wrote in message
I have a full gal. of Bombadier Gear oil called HPV that is used in most
Johnson and Evinrude lower units. I would like to use this in a F225
Yamaha which calls for Hypoid 90W. The HPV container does not say what SAE
wt it is but one would think that they are very similar gear units so it
would be ok to use. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

I'd check it to it further. I read something about hypoid and non-hypoid
lubricants a while ago but can't remember all the details. I think I recall
that it has to do with how the gears are cut - in fact I think some types of
gears are called hypoid gears and require a hypoid rated lube to allow the
gear sets to "slide" across the faces.

Or something like that.

Eisboch

Hypoid gear oils have a higher shear strength, so your above "slide"
statement is correct.

Member

"Robert Denner" wrote in message
I have a full gal. of Bombadier Gear oil called HPV that is used in most
Johnson and Evinrude lower units. I would like to use this in a F225
Yamaha which calls for Hypoid 90W. The HPV container does not say what
SAE
wt it is but one would think that they are very similar gear units so it
would be ok to use. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Bombardier says that their HPF gear oil exceeds hypoid 90 film strength even
with 10% water added, so it is very beneficial to an outboard gearcase.

Suzuki's also call for hypoid 90 in their lower units, but the Suzuki's
built for Bombardier's Johnson outboards come with the HPF oil in them.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Thanks Bill for correcting me on the HPF. Would you use the HPF in a Yamaha
lower gear case? You have helped me in the past on my 1995 Johnson 200 and I
value your opinion very much. If you have the time please let me know if
there is any reason not to use it.

Thanks for your interest,

Bob