Default The olympics

First, congrats to our winners, particularly the girls.
,,, But I was thinking about Harry saying he wasn't watching them and
why they were so compelling for us.
I think it is because we are on vacation, trying to forget the
world's problems and this is a very isolating thing to watch on TV. No
war, no flood, fire or killing and no Hillary or Donald.
This is just an unworldly place where outstanding athletes are doing
impossible things and nobody is really fighting. They all hug when it
is over.
It made the TV something we were willing to turn on even if we were
not really watching it that much. Occasionally we were riveted. You
have to watch those little girls flying through the air. (even if Aly
Raisman's Mom couldn't) ;-)

On 8/17/16 4:32 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 10:59:30 AM UTC-4, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 8/17/16 12:31 AM, wrote:
First, congrats to our winners, particularly the girls.
,,, But I was thinking about Harry saying he wasn't watching them and
why they were so compelling for us.
I think it is because we are on vacation, trying to forget the
world's problems and this is a very isolating thing to watch on TV. No
war, no flood, fire or killing and no Hillary or Donald.
This is just an unworldly place where outstanding athletes are doing
impossible things and nobody is really fighting. They all hug when it
is over.
It made the TV something we were willing to turn on even if we were
not really watching it that much. Occasionally we were riveted. You
have to watch those little girls flying through the air. (even if Aly
Raisman's Mom couldn't) ;-)

I've seen bits and pieces on the news shows, but not on purpose. I'm
just not a fan of professional sports, except for Major League baseball,
which I also do not watch on TV.

You used to get your thrills watching boxing matches. No more?

Besides, the olympics aren't "professional" sports.

Really?

http://moneyramblings.com/money-olympic-athletes-earn/

– Azerbaijan will pay $510,000 to their athletes if they bring home gold
medal from Olympic Games in Sochi.

– Singapore was ready to pay $800,000 for gold medals in London Olympic
Games.

– In United States, government pays $25,000 to gold winners, $15,000 to
those who earn silver, and $10,000 for bronze.

– On top of monetary compensation, some countries offer luxury cars,
apartments, and even supply of food to those who bring home medals.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:08:09 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 8/17/16 3:36 PM, wrote:

I can't get interested in baseball at all. It might be better if there
was a clock. The pace is just tedious.

Part of a good game's charm is its pace.

Watching guys standing around spitting tobacco juice and scratching
their balls does not interest me.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:31:10 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

Besides, the olympics aren't "professional" sports.

Really?

http://moneyramblings.com/money-olympic-athletes-earn/

– Azerbaijan will pay $510,000 to their athletes if they bring home gold
medal from Olympic Games in Sochi.

– Singapore was ready to pay $800,000 for gold medals in London Olympic
Games.

– In United States, government pays $25,000 to gold winners, $15,000 to
those who earn silver, and $10,000 for bronze.

– On top of monetary compensation, some countries offer luxury cars,
apartments, and even supply of food to those who bring home medals.

Biles is going to get a $5 million training stipend for the 2020 plus
all of the other money she will make. She is already popping up in
commercials and I suppose a number of them will be on NBC's American
Ninja show.

Dems top Olympics... hk General 3 August 31st 08 02:52 AM
Do not watch the Olympics [email protected] General 22 August 3rd 08 02:39 PM
Carter and the Olympics Skipper General 2 February 11th 06 07:22 AM
OT Olympics N.L. Eckert General 3 September 22nd 04 02:26 PM
Olympics Bill Tuthill General 2 September 2nd 04 01:23 AM