Default Unemployment rate lie

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 08:19:00 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

By the same token, compared to your modern-day Republicans, Barry
Goldwater was the paragon of rationality.

===

That's one of the more intelligent things you've ever said.

On 8/15/2016 8:46 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 8/15/16 8:29 AM, Justan Olphart wrote:
On 8/15/2016 8:17 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 8/15/16 7:48 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 8/14/2016 10:03 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 8/14/16 8:20 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 19:57:21 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

You're really overgeneralizing in your first sentence. How many
undergrad, grad, and post-grad stats courses have you taken?

I have a whole lot of training in database analysis along with a few
decades of actual experience running numbers that my company was
betting millions on. Sitting in a room listening to some old fart
telling me how they did things with paper records, pencils and
mechanical calculators does not interest me.

My lovely wife took several stats courses as an undergrad, many
more as
a grad student, and even more as a doctoral student. The latter were
taught by university math professors and held at the College of
Engineering. Pretty heavy math and studies in interpretation, database
analysis and more. I don't recall her mentioning paper records,
pencils,
and calculators. She did use a couple of computer stats courses,
though.
Upon completing her doctoral course work, she had to take and pass a
three day written examination that included doctoral level statistical
work and after that, a day of oral exam by a handful of professors,
including two from another institution and I believe one of those guys
was a math professor.

Now, me, I can do some math, but anything beyond really simple
stats is
beyond my knowledge and probably ability.

Heh. Yet, you are so quick to criticize Greg with regard to his
qualifications to analyze and interpret statistical data.

Maybe someday it will occur to you that the number of college degrees
one holds is *not* the most significant achievement in life.

I'm impressed by experts who are taught and learn the fundamentals, and
then progressively add more knowledge and experience through disciplined
teaching, study and practice.

When do your experts get to put their gained knowledge to good use?
Probably never.

D'oh. The studying, adding of knowledge, and experience gained through
disciplined teaching and practice lasts a lifetime. I'd offer up an
example, but it would just confuse you.

You didn't answer the question. It might last a lifetime but I asked
when it might be put to good use. You are the one who is confused.

On 8/15/2016 8:49 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 8/15/16 8:33 AM, Justan Olphart wrote:
On 8/15/2016 8:24 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 8/14/16 10:11 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 22:03:03 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What does that have to do with cooking the books on the unemployment
rate? Is it just the way they learn how to rationalize a bogus number?

I was commenting on your "lot of training."

Sounded like you were bragging on your wifey.

I always "brag on my wifey," as she is a terrific woman of superior
academic achievement and professional accomplishment, and has literally
saved many lives in many different ways.

No doubt, but she's not bright enough to dump you.

On 8/15/16 3:58 PM, Justan Olphart wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I agree that college is one way to become exposed to the
"fundamentals",
but it's certainly not the *only* way .. and after college you are on
your own. My comment was about those who think a degree or degrees
makes one more qualified than anyone else and sit on their laurels all
their lives thinking that the degree is what differentiates them from
others. You seem to fit in that category. Don't you have any
associates or friends you respect for their accomplishments, regardless
of the number of degrees they hold (if any) ?

I know lots of people with lots of skills, and any number of those
people never set foot in college. If I were hiring a statistician,
though, I'd want to know about their academic credentials.

Your comment about "after college you are on your own" is incorrect.
Many professions require formal, continuing education in order to
maintain credentials or licenses.go onto your apple forums if you
want to talk to idiots.

Continuing education to maintain credentials or licenses is part of
"being on your own".

You might think you are addressing idiots but there are many here who
are MUCH smarter than you. Go over to your Apple forums if you want to
talk with idiots.

If I were addressing you, I would be addressing an idiot.