Default Deadly doctors

I suppose you have all heard this, but 25,000 people died last year
from prescription drug overdose. That is more than twice as many as
the number murdered with guns.
Bear in mind the operative word is "prescription".
When you add 18,000 "illegal" drug users who died, this looks like a
pretty big problem.
Another way to say it is doctors and big pharma are almost 140%
deadlier than the illegal drug cartels.
I suppose the big government fans will say we just need more cops and
more laws.
I think it may just be Darwin in action. We are culling out the weak
and defective.

On 4/21/2016 12:28 PM, wrote:
I suppose you have all heard this, but 25,000 people died last year
from prescription drug overdose. That is more than twice as many as
the number murdered with guns.
Bear in mind the operative word is "prescription".
When you add 18,000 "illegal" drug users who died, this looks like a
pretty big problem.
Another way to say it is doctors and big pharma are almost 140%
deadlier than the illegal drug cartels.
I suppose the big government fans will say we just need more cops and
more laws.
I think it may just be Darwin in action. We are culling out the weak
and defective.

Ironic for me that you posted this. Mrs. E. fell off a stool she was
standing on last evening and received (what we thought) was a pretty
good and painful bone bruise. Didn't appear to be broken based on my
elementary first aid training. But, this morning she was still in
considerable pain so off to the hospital we went. X-rays showed a
break in the upper arm bone (humorous) just below the shoulder
ball.

They don't use a cast for this kind of break. She will be wearing
a sling for quite a while and will be attending physical therapy every
morning while they monitor how it is healing.

They gave her a prescription for "Percocet". I never knew that Percocet
is Oxycondone with Tylenol. I always thought Percocet and Oxycondone
were two different narcotics.

She's going to try not taking it, just relying on plain Tylenol. She
told the doc that she didn't want it but he insisted on writing
the prescription for it anyway. He told her if she didn't feel she
needed it, don't bother getting the prescription filled.

Based on how she is feeling right now, I suspect she will want
something stronger than Tylenol tonight.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/21/2016 12:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

Same break I did a month ago. She will need the Norco a couple times,
trust me. My doc gave me a prescription for 800 mg Motrin. She should
probably get that. Is both a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. Worst
part is wearing the sling, let's all the muscles shorten up, so PT for
that. Mine has cracks in to the shoulder ball, which hurts getting that
part working again.

On 4/21/2016 1:06 PM, Califbill wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/21/2016 12:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was with her while they took the X-Rays. The tech put the first on on
the display screen and involuntarily reacted with a minor gasp.
I asked her if it was broken and she said she was not allowed to say
anything, however I was welcome to study it myself. Didn't take any
special training to see that break. Right below the ball.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:57:05 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/21/2016 12:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

If I filled every prescription for pain pills that I was offered I
could be running a pill mill. The doctors are far to quick to put
people on heroin and that is basically what all of these opiates are.

wrote:

On 4/21/2016 12:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have a high pain tolerance, but the ball is wrapped with fibers and nerve
endings. Had to use the pain pills a few times.

Ouch!
Sounds like the bone I broke back in 1979 when I was ejected through an ambulance windshield after a highway crash.
Don't know if I hit the window frame on the way out or landed on something hard. Did nerve damage and had months of rehab but I worked at it and 5 years later I did my best bench press at 325 lbs. I have a trophy somewhere that says I came in 2nd in my weight class. The winner was jacked up on steroids and did 450 lbs. Heard that he needed a new heart a few years later.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:12:07 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I was with her while they took the X-Rays. The tech put the first on on
the display screen and involuntarily reacted with a minor gasp.
I asked her if it was broken and she said she was not allowed to say
anything, however I was welcome to study it myself. Didn't take any
special training to see that break. Right below the ball.

That was pretty much the same break my wife had, falling out of an
orange tree hanging christmas lights.

She took a lot of joy chain sawing that tree to the ground when she
got better. This was her christmas sling
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Judy%20sling.jpg

Be sure your wife does the PT as soon as possible so she gets full
mobility back.

wrote:

I was with her while they took the X-Rays. The tech put the first on on
the display screen and involuntarily reacted with a minor gasp.
I asked her if it was broken and she said she was not allowed to say
anything, however I was welcome to study it myself. Didn't take any
special training to see that break. Right below the ball.

That was pretty much the same break my wife had, falling out of an
orange tree hanging christmas lights.

She took a lot of joy chain sawing that tree to the ground when she
got better. This was her christmas sling
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Judy%20sling.jpg

Be sure your wife does the PT as soon as possible so she gets full
mobility back.

Not to get too morbid in details but she broke her right arm ... the
same side that she had a mastectomy for breast cancer years ago. That
surgery took a lot of muscle away and she has always experienced a
weakness on that side. That was 20 years ago however and the
treatments and surgical procedures have changed dramatically over the
years, having far less permanent effects. Chemo has changed
dramatically also. It is much more targeted the affected cells. When
she had the chemo treatments they were much more "shotgun". I always
felt the effects of chemo was worse than the cancer. Her doctor agreed
but it was the best they had at the time.

wrote:

[...]

===

Hope she has a speedy and full recovery.