Default Laser danger?

I am not minimizing the potential danger of laser pointers but why
don't we see stories about drivers of cars being blinded or simply 2
kits playing with one being blinded for life?
Terrestrial victims will be relatively close together.
Somehow if you are in a plane or helicopter 4 miles away, it is
"instant Ray Charles".

If these are so dangerous, why hasn't CPSC sent them down the road
with aluminum wire and lawn darts?

On 12/2/2015 11:05 AM, wrote:
I am not minimizing the potential danger of laser pointers but why
don't we see stories about drivers of cars being blinded or simply 2
kits playing with one being blinded for life?
Terrestrial victims will be relatively close together.
Somehow if you are in a plane or helicopter 4 miles away, it is
"instant Ray Charles".

If these are so dangerous, why hasn't CPSC sent them down the road
with aluminum wire and lawn darts?

I don't think the lasers you can buy as a "laser pointer" are all that
dangerous as far as exposure to the laser beam is concerned. They are
only 5 millwatts (max) and you would have to stare at the beam at close
range for a relatively long period of time to cause permanent eye
damage. It's possible, if you are an idiot and stare at it without
blinking for a while but that's unlikely. I think the danger is more
in the unexpected distraction experienced by pilots and perhaps vehicle
drivers.

Back in the 80's there was a major DOD program to develop thin film
optical blocking systems for several different laser wavelengths. The
concern was that an adversary (Soviets at the time) using relatively
high powered lasers could blind and injure the eyes of soldiers
viewing their surroundings through optical magnification systems such
as rifle scopes and targeting systems in tanks, etc. Those lasers were
rated in watts, not milli-watts.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 11:31:52 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 12/2/2015 11:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

Again, if this is so bad, why don't we hear the complaint from
drivers. (I hit the parked car because someone blinded me with a laser
etc)

Back in the 80's there was a major DOD program to develop thin film
optical blocking systems for several different laser wavelengths. The
concern was that an adversary (Soviets at the time) using relatively
high powered lasers could blind and injure the eyes of soldiers
viewing their surroundings through optical magnification systems such
as rifle scopes and targeting systems in tanks, etc. Those lasers were
rated in watts, not milli-watts.

We had a pretty nasty red laser in our printers. Old school deal that
about 2 feet long (not a diode) but it was still only putting out
350mw or so although I think it was capable of a lot more.

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 11:51:26 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 11:05:11 -0500, wrote:

I am not minimizing the potential danger of laser pointers but why
don't we see stories about drivers of cars being blinded or simply 2
kits playing with one being blinded for life?
Terrestrial victims will be relatively close together.
Somehow if you are in a plane or helicopter 4 miles away, it is
"instant Ray Charles".

If these are so dangerous, why hasn't CPSC sent them down the road
with aluminum wire and lawn darts?

Here's a good response:

https://www.fbi.gov/news/videos/maki...t-about-lasers

and:

https://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-a...xplanation.htm

I lightning strike must really screw these guys up. Hope they never
fly over Vegas where they have that megawatt spotlight shining up in
the air. ;-)

Danger Danger Joe ASA 5 September 26th 06 08:00 PM
Danger, Danger, Will Robinson! Skipper General 7 November 5th 05 07:06 PM
Danger Over the Horizon Jim Donohue General 1 October 10th 04 05:15 PM
Learn on Laser or smaller (Topper, Laser Pico)? Jo ASA 2 May 19th 04 06:56 PM
ICW -- In Danger anchorlt Cruising 68 March 3rd 04 06:08 AM