Jo

Default Learn on Laser or smaller (Topper, Laser Pico)?

Hi - should I learn on a Laser or a small boat like the Topper or new Laswer Pico.
Also, I am light (130 pounds).
Thanks!
DSK

Jo wrote:
Hi - should I learn on a Laser or a small boat like the Topper or new Laswer Pico.
Also, I am light (130 pounds).

Whew, I thought the Laser was a pretty small boat... anyway at 130 you
may be too light for it if the wind blows 12+ regularly where you sail.
You can get a Laser and one of the smaller rigs for it, and that way be
prepared for lighter winds or heavy.

IMHO the Laser is more responsive enough that it will be a better
learning boat than a Topper or Pico (and honestly, I'm not just saying
that because the Pico is roto-molded plastic).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Walt

Jo wrote:

Hi - should I learn on a Laser or a small boat like the Topper or new Laswer Pico.
Also, I am light (130 pounds).

Learning on a small boat is a good idea. It punishes bad technique more
swiftly and surely, but the punishment is fairly light (i.e. getting wet
vs. thousands of dollars in damage)

I don't think you have much room to be picky about the specific boat -
learn on whatever the learning center / sailing school / camp /
brother-in-law has available. The biggest hurdle in learning to sail is
getting access to a boat. What are the options in your area to rent,
borrow or take lessons? That'll probably answer your question.

I wouldn't advise you to buy your own until you know enough about the
sport to know what you want.

--
//-Walt
//