Default Early death of a fuel pump - Chris Craft 350's

Hi Warren, I am currently dealing with a failed carter fuel pump on my 1979 CC 350 DC. Would you by any chance still have the standard part number for the fuel pumps you used on your dads? my current pump is a "Carter m-4698s" is this the same as your originals? any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advancd,
Bruce

On Monday, July 5, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, WARREN WHITMORE wrote:
Tom,

First off, whatever you do, DON'T replace those pumps with electric
ones. Many people consider electric pumps an easy solution to a problem
like yours, but they are more of a pain than they're worth especially on
that boat. My father owns a 1974 35' Chris-Craft Double with twin 350Q
engines. When we bought the boat it had one original Carter pumps still
in service and the other one converted to a cheap non-marine electric
pump. A couple of years later, when the Carter pump started to leak, I
decided to replace both pumps with Blue Streak High Performace Marine
electric solid state fuel pumps. Then the problems began. I won't even
go into detail about it but I figure the electric pumps were cavitating
aided by the air bubbles always present in a marine gasoline fuel
system.

Moral of the story, I searched really hard and found the updated Carter
part number and put new mechanical pumps back in. Night and day
difference. No more fuel related problems. Those pumps were replaced
in 1996, same era as yours, and we must have put 200 hours on the pumps
since then with no problems. If you are suspicious of the Carter pumps,
try Standard, I believe they listed a pump for those engines. By the
way, the only way you'll find the correct pumps for the old Q series
engines is by Carter part number or by picture in a buyers guide. I
know, I worked in the auto parts business at the time. E-mail me direct
if you have any questions.

Good Luck

Warren Whitmore
Toronto

wrote:

I own a 1976 Chris Craft Double Cabin with twin Chris 350 Cu In, 235 Hp
engines. The fuel pump on the stbd engine failed yesterday. Upon
tearing it down, I found the diaphragm badly deteriorated and cracked.
It is a Carter pump.

I remembered the previous owner saying he had replaced the port fuel
pump so I checked his log. He replaced BOTH fuel pumps in 1996. We
bought the boat in 1997 and although I didn't check hours, I doubt
we've put 75 hours on the engines since then.

This seems to be too short a life for a fuel pump. I use marine gas
with no alcohol (that I know of), a lead additive - CD2 I believe, and
Sta-Bil in the fall for winter storage.

- Would any of these attack the diaphragms?

- Does anyone know if Carter had a material problem in this time
period?

- Finally, is there any reason I couldn't use a different brand that
fits the Chevy block but might be more durable?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Tom
"Hyde Out"

Sent via Deja.com