Default Wind against current

The claim is quite true and I have seen it many times, but I don't think it's as complicated as some make it sound. It can happen in deep water and without wind. In 1992 my eureka moment came one day while heading east on a motor yacht through the Current Rock passage in the Virgin Islands where I had a birds-eye view of whole effect clearly displayed in front of me. I could see that the current causes the waves in the center to travel a little slower than on the outsides, and that this bends the wave train, and now the waves on the left and right were converging towards the center where they added their energy and height. Depending on the location, the effect can be spread over a large or small area I have illustrations here http://www.3dym.com/waves/waves.htm

Sorry, the link should be http://www.3dym.com/waves.htm

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 02:07:43 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 18:35:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

The claim is quite true and I have seen it many times, but I don't think it's as complicated as some make it sound. It can happen in deep water and without wind. In 1992 my eureka moment came one day while heading east on a motor yacht through the Current Rock passage in the Virgin Islands where I had a birds-eye view of whole effect clearly displayed in front of me. I could see that the current causes the waves in the center to travel a little slower than on the outsides, and that this bends the wave train, and now the waves on the left and right were converging towards the center where they added their energy and height. Depending on the location, the effect can be spread over a large or small area I have illustrations here
http://www.3dym.com/waves/waves.htm

Where we see it all the time is in a pass or mouth of a river when you
have an onshore wind (from sea to land) smacking into an outgoing tide
or current, the waves will be a washing machine on steroids. If you
can hug the shore and get out of the current it will be reasonable as
long as you don't run aground..

===

Yes, that's very common. The inlets all along the Atlantic coast are
particularly dangerous under those conditions except for the ones with
big breakwaters. We've also seen it in the eastern Caribbean where
the trade winds create big easterly waves but the gaps between the
islands are tidal. You can be going along in the normal 3 to 6 ft
seas and suddenly see a patch of white water ahead where the waves are
breaking and twice as high.

wrote:

[...]

Mr Luddite can testify to that.

wrote:

[...]

Jupiter Inlet in Florida is notorious for that plus the bottom is
constantly shifting due to wave action shoaling. The Coast Guard
considers the inlet to be "non-navigable" and boating guides advise
to use another inlet north or south of Jupiter. It's ok on calm
days but can still be tricky due to changes in depth. Here's a
link to a video of a guy in a small boat exiting the inlet on a
day that was not as bad as it can get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUk055TKLes

wrote:

[...]

North River inlet? Yup. Bad experience there. Jupiter Inlet in
Florida can be worse though. A 55 footer capsized a few years back
trying to get in.

wrote:

[...]

This one is from Jupiter inlet also. It's in poor taste because the
skipper was killed but it demonstrates all of the bad things that can
happen in big waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Psa49dMJdU

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 12:41:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 11:47:07 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My Pine Island buddy was in a 24' Carolina Skiff that got caught in
the relatively protected inlet to the St James City canals. It was an
outgoing tide into about 15-20 from the West and they flipped the
boat. It got stood up in standing waves, broached and rolled right
over. At night, he said it was pretty scary. The ironic thing was he
was in sight and pretty much swimming distance from his house.

Current events... Flying Pig[_2_] Cruising 5 February 24th 12 01:19 PM
dc current [email protected] ASA 2 June 7th 06 04:44 PM
Current or no current Joe ASA 46 February 4th 04 12:15 PM
Current drop nealpbaker Electronics 0 July 8th 03 03:44 PM