posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default dc current

My boyfriend lives on his sailboat. We recently tried to change a
flourescent lamp that is on a dc current.

Although there is current coming through the wires to the lamp at apprx
12 volts and the lamps works fine when hooked up directly to the
battery, we still can't get it to work when connected to the wires.
Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Claire

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

wrote:
My boyfriend lives on his sailboat. We recently tried to change a
flourescent lamp that is on a dc current.

Although there is current coming through the wires to the lamp at apprx
12 volts and the lamps works fine when hooked up directly to the
battery, we still can't get it to work when connected to the wires.
Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Claire

Short in the wires/fixture, could be a bad starter in the fixture as
well.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You likely have a poor connection, possibly a rotton wire end at a
terminal somewhere, or a bad switch, etc. The connection can provide
"about" 12 volts with no current being drawn.

We must presume you have used a similar flourescent fixture with
internal voltage convertsion enabling the lamp to operate.

Can you use the feed to light a normal incandescent light?

If not, then I would suspect the power circuit in the flourescent
fixture to be bad. If so, consider an LED style replacement.

Terry K