Joe

Default Current or no current

Do you have a current were you dock?

When your docking your boat do you like a little current or not?

I loved one marina I lived in because it had a 3-7 knot current that
ran parellel to the dock. It was great having the current to work
against. Always made arrival and departure smooth as a feather.

Only bad point was marine life grew on the hull faster and we were
affected by wakes more often.

Here in the marina I'm at now we have still water and its 2 tight left
turns
into the slip. Windage is a bitch, and I have a left hand wheel and
dock bow in
port side to always throwing the stern away from the docking side
while backing, and I usually have to back some because of the speed
needed to make it in the slip without being blown down. If I stay here
much longer Im going to have to get a right hand wheel.

Joe
MSV RedCloud
MC

Questions:

1) Why bow in if prop walk a problem.
2) Wouldn't a dock line which is easily picked up solve the
turning/windage problem?

Cheers

Joe wrote:

[...]

Thom Stewart

Joe,

I haven't read any of the replies yet, but I want to remind you, if you
have a single prop you have both a left and right handed helm. If your
stern walks left in reserve it will walk right in forward. Remember
there is also a third gear on your gear box (Neutral)

From neutral you can pop the stern in either direction, Just slip it
into gear, rev up quickly and back down and into neutral again

I learned and awful lot watching my female crew dock. Pussy footing in
and using stern walk is a pretty successful way to dock

Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Do you have a current were you dock?

Yes.

When your docking your boat do you like a little current or not?

Prefer nothing, but it's manageable since the wind is a bigger factor.

I loved one marina I lived in because it had a 3-7 knot current that
ran parellel to the dock. It was great having the current to work
against. Always made arrival and departure smooth as a feather.

Only bad point was marine life grew on the hull faster and we were
affected by wakes more often.

Here in the marina I'm at now we have still water and its 2 tight left
turns
into the slip. Windage is a bitch, and I have a left hand wheel and
dock bow in
port side to always throwing the stern away from the docking side
while backing, and I usually have to back some because of the speed
needed to make it in the slip without being blown down. If I stay here
much longer Im going to have to get a right hand wheel.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

DSK

Joe wrote:

Do you have a current were you dock?

Not where we are these days, no.

When your docking your boat do you like a little current or not?

Define "a little." Usually a little current isn't a problem, in fact if
you can gauge it right, it can help swing the boat the way you want it. A
current from right on the nose can be very helpful.

I loved one marina I lived in because it had a 3-7 knot current that
ran parellel to the dock. It was great having the current to work
against. Always made arrival and departure smooth as a feather.

Was this on the river? Usually tides go the other way for at least part of
the time

Only bad point was marine life grew on the hull faster and we were
affected by wakes more often.

I didn't realize that moving water encouraged marine growth.

Here in the marina I'm at now we have still water and its 2 tight left
turns
into the slip. Windage is a bitch, and I have a left hand wheel and
dock bow in
port side to always throwing the stern away from the docking side
while backing, and I usually have to back some because of the speed
needed to make it in the slip without being blown down. If I stay here
much longer Im going to have to get a right hand wheel.

Or a bow thruster.

I had a big ungainly racing sloop for a while that we brought in to the
dock with a dinghy & outboard lashed alongside. We also sailed it up to
the dock but there were some times when that was not a viable option.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Donal

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Do you have a current were you dock?

Yes. It varies, sometimes it goes one way, and sometimes it goes the other
way.

When your docking your boat do you like a little current or not?

I don't really mind it. It tends to help.

I loved one marina I lived in because it had a 3-7 knot current that
ran parellel to the dock. It was great having the current to work
against. Always made arrival and departure smooth as a feather.

Only bad point was marine life grew on the hull faster and we were
affected by wakes more often.

I know what you mean. Idiots driving big boats at silly speeds.

Here in the marina I'm at now we have still water and its 2 tight left
turns
into the slip. Windage is a bitch, and I have a left hand wheel and
dock bow in
port side to always throwing the stern away from the docking side
while backing, and I usually have to back some because of the speed
needed to make it in the slip without being blown down. If I stay here
much longer Im going to have to get a right hand wheel.

It would be cheaper to get a clue!

On reflection, it might be easier to get a right hand wheel.

Regards

Donal

katysails

Joe asked: Do you have a current were you dock?

No, but there was a mulberry tree until everyone got sick of all the =
purple bird poo....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Bobsprit

Minimal current. Wind direction is main factor as to backing in slip.

Scotty's clearly royalty. He's a royal idiot!

RB
Jonathan Ganz

But you're the idiot WINNER!